What local dealers sell "GOOD" lights?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
What local dealers sell \"GOOD\" lights?

The problem I have is that the best flashlights I have seen in this area are mags. Never anything else. Are there some good local stores that are common in NY that sell "good" lights? I know that Sharper Image has them, but I never saw one around here. Do gun shops sell SureFires? Even the personal ones? Or do they only sell the gun mounted ones?

The_virus

Enlightened
Re: What local dealers sell \"GOOD\" lights?

Well, around me there are not many, but a few places to get good flashlights...however I think I've exhausted their variety ie: I've bought all the good ones they have to offer.

The nearby outdoor stores carry some Gerber (Infinity Ultra) as well as Princeton Tec and Pelican lights. On that note, the local diver's stores where you can buy SCUBA gear are great for finding quality flashlights. Obviously most are dive-capable, but that's not a big deal unless you want to buy a big spotlight. Most of the larger spotlights have no heatsinking because they're designed to be used underwater where the surrounding water will act as one big heat diffuser.

Anyways, Le Baron is the nearest good sports store here, although I doubt it's in the USA under that name. They sell guns and ammo, plus camping gear. They carry some LED Lenser, Lightwave, and Streamlight flashlights. Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is a good place too, although they have way more headlamps than flashlights, all their stuff is pretty good. Rona and Home Depot are good places too, although they don't have high-end lights, they're good for finding Dorcy lights which are great bargains! Costco apparently has some good deals too on lights, I'm headed there soon, but I don't have a membership myself...so I have to piggyback with a pal who does.

In general though, sporting/hunting stores, hardware stores and most notably diver's stores are the best places to look locally. You may find it's cheaper to order a few at a time online though.

deranged_coder

Enlightened

I have been to two places in my local area that sell Surefire lights; one is a shooting range and the other is a sporting goods shop.

I got my Gerber lights (Recon, Infinity Ultra and LX 3.0) at the local REI, which is a sporting goods / outdoorsman shop. They had some Princeton Tec lights there, too.

Frys Electronics has a bunch of LED Lenser lights. They also have several Streamlight flashlights (Twin-Task, Keymate, Stylus) available. They also carry Inova lights and I think they had some Lightwave lights, too.

I went to a diving shop a while ago to find a gift for my brother (he's into scuba diving) and they had Princeton Tec and Underwater Kinetics lights available.

The Brinkmann and Dorcy lights, I found at Walmart.

So, the "good" lights can be found in local stores. You just have to hunt around a bit.

greenLED

Flashaholic

I do most of my shopping on-line. I have to drive a little over an hour to get to an outdoor shop with a decent selection of "good" lights (Streamlight, SF, etc.)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Hey Mags, I like the avatar!

I forget if I ever PMed ya, but I meant to tell you that Paragon Sports in the city, on 18th and Broadway, sells a bunch of Surefire. Not at a discount, but you can go play with the lights. (They also have a nice selection of multitools.)

The Victorinox stores (there's one in White Plains at the Westchester Mall) sell lights and knives as well, in particular a nice range of Streamlight products (and Kershaw and Spyderco).

The dive stores in NY have a selection of lights also, most notably a range of Princeton Tec and UK (as deranged notes above), as well as Pelican and Otter waterproof boxes.
Unfortunately, our only REI store, which was in New Rochelle, closed a couple of years ago, so we're outa luck there. But other camping stores, like Campmor in Paramus NJ, and the EMS chain, carry lights like the Princeton Tecs and Gerbers.

Finally, I've played with Inovas here in the city at Sharper Image, and I expect you'll find the same on Long Island, perhaps at the Sharper Image stores in the Roosevelt Field Mall, where I've spent many an hour, or the Manhasset one might be closer to ya.
Best of luck, drop me a line sometime!
daloosh

lahjik

Newly Enlightened

Up here near Rochester I can go to Gander Mountain for a selection of surefires (L1, A2, G2, E1e, some others) and some others. I will be over in the Syracuse area next week and hope to get to the Bass Pro Shop to see what they have.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had the best luck at gun stores, unless I'm willing to drive a few hours to see Greg at BrightGuy. .

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Fry's is generally carrying a decent selection, but usual not as cheap as other places. Good for Streamlight, Pelican, M*g, and others.

My local gun store (well local from my old address!) called Carter's Country has many Streamlights and some SF (last add had OD Green G2s for $29.99 again).

Wally World gives up Dorcy and Garrity stuff, some of which is decent, and many mod easily.

I never see much good stuff at Home Depot or Lowes.

Of course, I'm in a WAY other part of this great country than you are....

Topper

Flashaholic*

Most all bought on-line or by phone. Might look for a police supply store in your neck of of the woods.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where I live, Downunder not many at all, thats why I purchase
from the US.

vincent48

Newly Enlightened

Hi mags,
I was thinking the same thing theres no ONE place to go to find a large slection of quality lights. I know you are too young to drive but even with a car I can never seem to find what I'm looking for.Yes gun shops do have small displays of lights like T&T Guns and Coliseum Guns but I have yet to find a store that has a full line of Surefire and other quality flashlights. I just order from there sights or from the dealer's corner on this sight which by the way is exelent.I live close to you so if I do find something I will let you know
Vince

TomH

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
Most all bought on-line or by phone. Might look for a police supply store in your neck of of the woods.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Our local law enforcment supply store carries both Streamlight and Surefire products, and can order what they don't stock. Pretty good prices too.

Zigzago

Enlightened

A Sportsmans Warehouse recently opened in my area. They have a very good selection of flashlights including Surefire, Streamlight, Princeton Tec, Coast, Dorcy, etc.