TW4 compared with an E1e and new generation KL1

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing wonderful things about the new generation KL1 head (throw etc)

Can anyone tell me what and how much better the new KL1 head is compared to the original KL1?

And secondly does anyone have a TW4 they could compare to the new KL1?

I'm wonderiing if it the new KL1 is so much better, maybe I should stick that KL4 back on it's E2e body and buy a new KL1 for that E1e body.

Comments?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new KL1 is a Lux-III the older ones are Lux-I.

I have both TW4 and a 4th gen KL1. They are totally different lights. The KL4 has LOT of light output and on an E1e body with an R123, has become my favorite EDC light. The KL1 is fun to play with and great for signaling to get someones attention. It throws further than the KL4 head but has NO sidespill. If you needed it for walking around and night, you may find yourself tripping on objects since the hotspot is pretty much the only area illuminated.

So if you find that you can work with only seeing whats in the hotspot or find that you mainly use it for signaling or getting someones attention, then you will like the newest KL1 head. It has throw...LOT OF THROW. But thats all.

I had my optic swapped out for a 20mm reflector by a modder here in the forums. Now it has usefulness for me.

Jeff

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short the KL1 and KL4 are different animals. The KL4 is pretty much a wall of light, I would say about a 50 degree beam, while the Gen 4 KL1 is just a thrower. The obvious solution is that you need to buy them both so you have both a flood light and a throw light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
I got a KL1 first and loved it. Lately, I picked up a KL4 and have been using it a lot more. With an R123 and 1-cell Vital Gear body, its about perfect for my needs. I keep the KL1 around because it will run on a wide range of voltages and it is little less likely to wake the family if I'm wandering around the house at night.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TW4 compared with an E1e and new generation KL

Bassically the new E1L has THROW! I like it alot.

-David

Hans

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Can anyone tell me what and how much better the new KL1 head is compared to the original KL1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better? I don't know. They're totally different, but I couldn't say which is better. The new KL1 has *lots* of throw and almost no sidespill, the old KL1 has quite a lot of sidespill and far less throw. I usually prefer throw over sidespill, and I find the new KL1 works beautifully when I'm out in the woods at night. Enough throw to actually see things at a distance, and the tight beam means you don't draw too much unwanted attention to yourself. With a two-stage tailcap it's become my favourite light in that kind of surroundings.

However, I prefer the old KL1 as my EDC light. I use it with a Z57 tailcap, and that combination works better when I'm out and about in the city. I want some sidespill then, and the old KL1 has just that. Also, the old KL1 has a somewhat longer runtime.

I reckon I'd buy both again ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Hans

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. If the only advantage is more throw I think I'll save my money and stick with my old TW4 and my old KL1 head.

When I need more throw I just escalate to my E2e or M3 if needed.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, the new KL1 is WAY brighter! And it just looks better, If you buy the new KL1, you wont be sorry. Believe me on that one.

-David

Joseph

Enlightened

KL1 cannot be brighter than E2e and M3, obviously. Though it may have slightly longer throw than E2e, it is much easier to identify things with E2e.

Double A, I have exactly same opinion as yours and that's why I always carry my SF e2e or SL NF-2 in my backpack along with my TW4 in my pocket.
BTW, if I want an LED thrower, I would rather go for Aleph 1 or 3.

Joseph, I think what cheapo meant, above, is that the new KL1 is WAY brighter (think he means more throw) than the old KL1. I would definitely agree. I don't think he's comparing the new KL1 to the KL4, because, as we all know, that's comparing apples to oranges. The new KL1 really is quite an improvement over its predecessor, no doubt about it.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new KL-1 is a great addtion to your SF bodies.
It has a lot of throw true, but it opens up about 20 ft out
to a beam good enough to walk anywhere. It's not a X-1 or laser beam as some have called it, just tight. Not much spill but I have never tripped over anything, or missed what's in front of me.( and I'm a little night blind)

Best thing to do imho is try one and see. I know it surprized me, because of the statement's on here that it's
a pencil beam for throw only,, which it is not.

There are some good realworld pic's in the HDS partII or III
thread in manufactor's forum, (basically HDS compared to an L-4, KL-1 etc) That said i do like my HDS for lot's of throw, and decent spill, great overall beam quality.

So many good light's out now, there is bound to be one that will fit your need's. i know i am planning on getting a chop mod at some point, great stuff he does, and the aleph
stuff is killer. But for the $ i think a KL-1 is a no-brainer. VDG