Typo? Or is it from the new line from Lumileds?

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
I looking around at Future Electronics for some Royal Blue Luxeon IIIs and stumbled on this...
Maybe we'll be seening the new line sooner than some thought...
Amber and Red/Orange emitters were also "spotted".

Notice how the part number is the same as the Luxeon 1, but with the 9 at the end rather than 1...

LXHL-PD01 == Luxeon 1 Emitter, Red, Lambertian
LXHL-PD09 == ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Typo? Or is it from the new line from Lumiled

wow, not bad prices for future. Unless they've updated their website. Their site used to be like 3x as much as prices they'd give over the phone.

Mmm 3W R/O.. That's good for at least 100lumends I'd say!! Wonder what the specs are?

BTW, good catch! Try to order some!! call and find out if they are there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*

I alreadly have those, they are pretty big, so they were rather simple to solder.

You should try the standard 0402 or 0201 SMD resistors that have been common for years.

I hope you noticed the LXCL-PWF2 version that is available on the Future website, it is basically twice as bright.

LXCL-PWF2

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

I've got a hot air tool and a hot plate for tiny parts, but the lifetime of the flash parts at %100 duty cycle is very poor (500 hours IIRC).

Newbie: You sound very sure of yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I get the idea from reading your posts over the many months I've been reading CPF that you may have some connections in the industry. Can you give anymore info about these parts? Namely, are these simply tyical red/red-orange/amber dies on the new thermal base?
I understand you may be under an NDA. If so, we understand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Thanks

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm curious too about the new 4 legged luxeons. I belive the 3w red/ro/amber line is the 4 legged ones. I wonder how they are increasing current to these as heat is a big no-no for these chemistries.

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

My take these 3 watt AlInGaP parts (purely speculation):
They are the same or slightly better binned dies as the 1 watt parts.
They are using the new thermal base used in the upcoming line of InGaN parts (8 C/W for the new, vs 13 C/W with the Luxeon 3 base, and 15 to 18 C/W Luxeon 1 base).
Improvement in the temperature handling of the AlInGaP dies? (Note: I'm pretty sure the new "maximum allowable junction temperature of 185°C" is due to a change in the solder balls under the die, rather than a die change.)

So does anyone have any info they can share?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep in mind these dies in the "warm" colors aren't flat like the blue/green chips. They are an inverted pyramid to extract the most light out of them (flat side foward, other sides reflect off of the "cup" back out. And so only the point of the pyramid is making thermal contact....

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Rossitron said:
I've got a hot air tool and a hot plate for tiny parts, but the lifetime of the flash parts at %100 duty cycle is very poor (500 hours IIRC).

Newbie: You sound very sure of yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I get the idea from reading your posts over the many months I've been reading CPF that you may have some connections in the industry. Can you give anymore info about these parts? Namely, are these simply tyical red/red-orange/amber dies on the new thermal base?
I understand you may be under an NDA. If so, we understand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there have been changes to the die, I don't think I can say anything yet though, sorry.

sithjedi333

Enlightened

when are these damn things coming out? anyone have an ETA?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im almost more curious about then power requirements than the output they will produce. Like what is going to be the VF requirements? espcially the R/O parts....

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Post abducted....

*Retired*

Those high output Luxeon III reds were announced yesterday.

LXHL-PD09 Red 140 Lumen
LXHL-PH09 Red-Orange 190 Lumen
LXHL-PL09 Amber 110 Lumen
LXHL-DD09 Red 125 Lumen Side Emitting
LXHL-DH09 Red-Orange 170 Lumen Side Emitting
LXHL-DL09 100 Amber 100 Lumen Side Emitting

It takes 1400mA to get to these levels, and the internal die has to be held at 25C to get there.

The thermal resistance was dropped on these new "red" luxeon III to 6 C/W. An educated guess would say that the new Luxeon IV would be in a similar ball park.

http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR34.pdf
http://www.lumileds.com/products/family.cfm?familyId=7

New Luxeon III Datasheet out:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
[...]It takes 1400mA to get to these levels, and the internal die has to be held at 25C to get there.[...]

[/ QUOTE ]

So in other words, it takes a perfect heatsink along with an ambient temperature of approximately 0c to get the rated output at 1.4A.

So with an ambient temperature of ~20c, with a really good (not perfect) heatsink, you'll see around 65% of rated output at 1.4A. ~125 lumens from a "typical" 3W Red/Orange, in real world situations.

[ QUOTE ]
As with all other Luxeon products, these new colors of Luxeon III offer industry-leading
lumen maintenance with the ability to retain 50% lumen maintenance at 20,000 hours

[/ QUOTE ]
From here.

I sure hope "20k hours to 50%" isn't at a 25c junction temperature...

*Retired*

LOL, yeah, but you won't get the Lumens, Adam...

Some of the new folk around here might not know that...

You've been around long enough to know that, I'm sure, heheh

LED-FX

Enlightened

You know what they say Newbie, "lies , damned lies and statistics"

Why is it LED manufacturers appear to use a pyramid of peltier coolers to get the headline numbers?

Without monster heatsinking and or active cooling, fan, heatpipe, water cooled or bubbling in fluroinert ;-) with 1.4A going through it die temp is going to be closer to those new upper limits and efficiency has gone for a tea break.

Plugged in applications dosen`t matter a whole huge amount. Under running with minimal heatsink requirements is going to help.

But with portable applications its all rob efficiency to get light output or vice-versa.

But the headline screamer figures, that everyone uses, are possibly difficult to replicate outside of the carved ice block they use as an integrating sphere;-)

YMMV

Adam