Why are Tektite flashlights not mentioned more often?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my take:

I've read excellent things about Tektites here. For me they just don't have the feel of a fine instrument. I don't particularly care for the feel of a LightWave 2000 but I have a green one and I'm going to keep it for many reasons. I have a Tektite 7 blue LED and it is nice. It does what I want it to do which is to fluoresce objects. If you fire it up in a dark room it is amazing what you can see that you couldn't see with a normal flashlight. It is strong and waterproof, I think to 300'. It just doesn't feel like a great tool. To non-flashaholics it is amazing. To me, not so much anymore. I've been enlightened by CPF and I know I can get lights that more accurately suit my needs and wants. Sometimes it requires patients(5W RB tight beam AA NiMH capable).

Since it is blue it does what I wanted it to do very well. I actually found a fluorescent spider hanging on my iron fence with it. I keep telling myself to tie it to a 20 lb. fishing line and drop it into a clearwater lake to see what it looks like. I would like to take it snorkling at night to see if I could find a saltwater fish that fluoresced...but now I'm talking about what I want to talk about.

I think they are great lights...they just don't have the "feel appeal".

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been extremely unlucky with them. I have had 3 lights by them, rebranded to C. Crane Company. my first one, the Trek light (3AA, 2 white LED) was the last to go. The other 2 were the single LED, 3C, focusable (CC Extreme) and the LED on both of those began strobing with less than 30 minutes usage in both lights (each). One LED in the Trek began strobing the other day.

I had given the Trek to my mother, and she actually liked it (not bad for someone 85 y/o). Then she complain it was 'flickering'. Sure enough, one LED was strobing.

I can get a dropin LED unit for it, once I find the correct website.

Needless to say, I am not happy with the lights.

C. Crane has a new version of the Expedition, that is Regulated and I hope that solves the problem.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I own two tektite flashlights, a 7 led and 19 led. They are good, servicable flashlights but aren't built to the quality of Arc's or Surefires. No shame in that, since they weren't meant be premium flashlights. Because they are ordinary, there's not much to get excited about or talk about.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by Icebreak:
I don't particularly care for the feel of a LightWave 2000
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 2000 is made by a different company: Lightwave. I like the newer Lightwave lights (2100, 3000, 4000) but they're not dive lights.

Tektite lights can self-destruct if you use rechargeable batteries. The bezel / lens cracks very easily when tightened (all of mine have cracked).

ledfanfromjuno

Enlightened
The tektites are very expensive for the nichia technology that they use. I like their water tight construction but they use the nichia bulbs which really don't cast far at all no matter how many bulbs their are. I bought a $200 19 led aluminum excursion pro. For this money consider these other flashlights you could buy, and yes I bought them too and am much happier with them.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda/pastsales.htm
http://elektrolumens.com/BLASTER/Blaster_II.html
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000938
http://www.inretech.com/adapters.htm
http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/sandwiches.htm
http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/specials.htm
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&SortProperty=MetaHighestPriceSort&query=led&from=R5&ht=1&category3=16037&combine=y&st=2
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/arcls.html
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've got them all - as of early 2002 anyway. I have had no flickering in any of them.
tongue.gif

Their 40-LED unit serves as a headlight on my wheelchair; the others are still under test as you have probably figured out by now.
smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have posted about my experience with the CCrane/Teklight lights but real quick.
These were my families first LED lights replacing mini-Mags. We loved the once a month battery changes as opposed to twice a week and not replacing the bulbs. However we are hard on them and all of our original 3LED/3AA lights have been lost or replaced under warranty (several times) with 2LED/3AA lights.
We still keep them and use them but those of us who use our lights hard and often use other lights for EDC. IMHO they were good when they first came out but the construction is not of the quality that newer lights have come too.

Charles-have you asked CCane to replace them? Or are you just fed up and want better technology? We have had the same problems with them and they were replaced by CCrane with little fuss.
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
[QB]I have been extremely unlucky with them. I have had 3 lights by them, rebranded to C. Crane Company. my first one, the Trek light (3AA, 2 white LED) was the last to go. The other 2 were the single LED, 3C, focusable (CC Extreme) and the LED on both of those began strobing with less than 30 minutes usage in both lights (each). One LED in the Trek began strobing the other day.
I can get a dropin LED unit for it, once I find the correct website.
Needless to say, I am not happy with the lights.
QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought several Tektites from C Crane and haven't had any problems. I use NIMH too. Since the Tektites were introduced, Lightwave and then Streamlight, have flashlights with fairly similar performance that are considerably cheaper. And the Streamlights are brighter. About the only advantage of the Tektite 3 C cell for me is that it is about one inch shorter, and fits more comfortably in my back pocket.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I have a Tektite 300, and a Streamlight 7LED. The Streamlight is waterproof, and well made. The Tektite is a dive light, and well made. The Tektite lasts quite a bit longer on a set of batteries, as it's running C's instead of AA's, and isn't nearly as overdriven. The Streamlight is brighter. For that reason I kinda like the Tektite better as an emergency light, and the Streamlight for day to day use.

If I had to go into some kind of a cave, and could only take one light, it'd be the Tek. Unlike any incandescent, except maybe the Tiger, I don't have to worry about a drop blowing the bulb. Of the LED's it's about the simplest, twist on, twist off, just like "wax on, wax off". No fancy electronics to break. It's simple, and I trust it.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Albany Tom: I own the two, seven, and fourteen LED Tektite's (from CCrane). I use my Streamlight 3 and 7 LED lights everyday because of the tailcap switch convenience.

Tektite would be well advised to improve their technology to current standards to avoid being left behind.

However, if I had to pick a survival light, it would probably be the Tektite 7 or 14 LED model.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wit's End;

The second Extreme was a free replacement for the first one, which started strobing. When the replacement did the same thing, I just junked it. Now, one of the LEDs in the Trek is strobing. Note these are all direct drive (no resistors or anything). This sort of experience with products puts me off said products.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer ones are not direct drive, presumably because of the problems you`ve experienced. I was sent a handful quite a while ago and they all have resistors limiting the current. So it`s safe to say if you buy a new one these days, it`ll be gentler on the LEDs.

You ought to get on to Tektite, explain the problem - especially that it has no current limiting resistor - and see if they`ll replace it with a new version.

They are apparently not noticeably dimmer than the older ones either, because of advances in the efficiency of the LEDs since then - so even though the current drain is less, the brightness is still about the same.

I quite like them - they got pretty good reviews out of me - but I will readilly admit there are better lights around these days. One thing to remember though - Tektite design lights for divers, so you probably won`t see push-switches from them any time soon. Take a push-switch light underwater and it won`t be long before the water pressure gets enough to depress that switch and not let go. Twist-heads may be crude by todays standards, but they are also quite reliable and don`t suffer many problems underwater at depth. I think most of Tektite`s range is rated to go deeper than 300 feet, maybe up to 1000. Humans aren`t really rated for those depths without significant protection!

shocked.gif

AlphaNet

Newly Enlightened
One reason you may not see more Tektites is that from a dealer's/retailer's/distributor's/wholesaler's perspective they are not an easy company to work with, which is why I do not sell them. They serve more of a niche market which is probably why they aren't more popular.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
That's too bad. I think some people underestimate how important the reseller channel is. In some cases it helps define the product. You'll see Streamlight in a Gal's catalog, for example, but probably not in a sporting goods store.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why are Tektite flashlights not mentioned more

AlphaNet- I usually don't plug the company on this site, but if you go to our website at http://www.tek-tite.com/Dealer_Info/dealer_info.html
You'll see our dealer requirements are easy to meet. You just have to be a bona-fide reseller.

For Charles Bradshaw- You can return C Crane lights to us directly for repair. The no resistor units you have were 1999 construction, when Nichia's would tolerate 4.5v.

For James Van Artsdalen- We DO NOT recommend rechargeables; never have. Let me know what lenses you need, we warranty them for life. We'll be happy to replace them.

For Wits' End- The 3-LED lights from Crane were not made by Tektite, they are Chinese Knock-offs sold under the Pilot light name. You can send any light labelled Crane or Tektite back to us for repair or replacement.

For Raven- Keep in mind that Lightwave and a substantial part of the Streamlights are made overseas, and cost less to produce. We make EVERYTHING in the USA (except the LEDs).

For all- If you have ANY complaints or compliments, you can email me directly at [email protected], anytime. I travel a lot, so it may take a few days for a reply.