ARC orig. AA v. Peak Kilimanjaro 5LED High Output?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which of these 1-AA jewels "throws" farther?

Which has the more "usable" beam--that is, a beam sufficiently large to find something easily or avoid obstacles?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif Let's see....one LED in one hand and 5 LEDs in the other.....let me quess...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy, the ARC AA (not the AAA) has a Luxeon. At least I assume he meant the original ARC LS that could be used with one AA. I have one of these. I have the battery compartments for one AA, two AAs or CR123. It's not as bright with one AA as with the others so it didn't become popular. It was a good idea though. No worries about using a matched set of NiMH in this one.

Later ARC LS lights wouldn't function on one AA cell. Peter purposefully designed these later ones to cut off when the voltage got that low because the original on two NiMH would run the cells down so far that the weaker cell would be damaged.

I'm not familiar with the Kilimanjaro, but normally flashlights with the 5mm Nichias have a wide beam and don't throw far. They make a great work light though.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARC orig. AA v. Peak Kilimanjaro 5LED High Out

I Think he is talking about the ArcAA with 5mm in it. Thats not a nice comparison against a Peak Kilimanjaro.

The Kilimanjara has a decent amount of throw for little purposes. But the ArcAA is going to have about the same throw, just less overall light. Am I right?

Due to Arc prices, the Kilimanjaro would be a better buy though, although it should be tough to get one as they are no longer made. They are the generally same size. Both are large(r) keychain lights. One is short while wide(Peak), the other is a little more narrow while longer(Arc).

Cameron

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

My mistake. That's one ARC I never owned. I couldn't see the point of that one because I had the CMG ultra, US government edition.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Arc, to my feel, is slightly more refined than the Ultra-G. Not as tough, of course, but slightly more refined. .

davidra

Enlightened

My SS Kilamanjaro is larger than my Arc AA because of the larger head. It also outthrows it, and has a tighter beam with less flood. There's also no comparison between an Arc AA and an Ultra-G. The LED's in the two Ultra-G's I have are not quite centered and much bluer than my Arc AA, plus there's the everpresent battery rattle. Given the fact that the prices of multiple LED Peaks will certainly go up, it's a tough call. I happen to like the beam of the Peak, but the form factor of the Arc. One has more throw, one more flood.