How long will l4 run before led dies?

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
I've been using my L4 a lot recently. A very long time ago, i remember the led was rated for only 500 hours. I'll be creeping up on this a lot quicker than i think.

If/when it does die, will surefire replace it? I mean if it happens, it did break, right? If it breaks, we fix it. Dang, i wish surefire made cars.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
By the time you go through the estimated 500 hour life, you'll have gone through ~1000 batteries - unless you use rechargeables. (And I'd venture even with rechargeables, you'll burn through several sets.) If you consistently use the light for 10 hours per week (and that would be a lot for most people unless you use it professionally), that's almost 2 years of life. And it could last longer, or you might use it less.

I'm sure SF will replace the LED if it fails - but I think there's a fair probability that long before it does, you'll have replaced the KL4 head on the light with a new, improved, KL4 that's brighter, longer running, cooler, and whiter. (Note - I have no knowledge of SF's plans, but it's hard for me to believe they won't replace the Lux V with something better at some point as technology progresses. They are an innovative company.)

LEDs may eventually hit the wall and stop progressing, but until then, technological improvement is your friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I ran through all this myself before I purchased an L6. 500 hours sounds like nothing in comparison to the tens of thousands of hours typically promised by LED makers, but it's actually quite a long time for a flashlight.

Robban

Enlightened
I believe that would be 500 hours to 50% brightness, not failure. But I'm not sure.

Also, I seem to recall a post not too long ago saying that this figure was incorrect and had been perpetuated on CPF by uninformed people. Who that was, and if he/she was saying anything remotely true, I don't know.

Hows that for a totaly ambiguous reply? :p

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:
I believe that would be 500 hours to 50% brightness, not failure. But I'm not sure.

Also, I seem to recall a post not too long ago saying that this figure was incorrect and had been perpetuated on CPF by uninformed people. Who that was, and if he/she was saying anything remotely true, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's 500 hours to 50% brightness. What I was trying to point out is that whether it's true or not, 500 hours is still a long time for most of us. I believe 500 hours was from the Lumileds specs for the Lux V. It's not like there's a countdown timer, though, it will vary from LED to LED. If you were using the LED in a constant on application (not a flashlight!) 500 hours would be a problem.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
I am almost using it constantly, i'm bored on spring break. My brother keeps stealing my car =\

I need something to do, so i put my pilas in my L4, wait untill it starts blinking, and replace the drained one with one out of the charger. I usually have to babysit my charger for five or 10 minutes, but i'm real bored.

Real nice of my brother to take my car over =\

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, go to the horse's mouth then, 500 hours is on page 1:
http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/protected/DS40.PDF

Where it drops to, at how many hours, see bottom of page 8

A good read while you are at it:
Keeping the Luxeon V cool

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Wow, thanks NewBie, that was interesting information! It makes me glad my L6 is the coolest running flashlight I have! My L2 is hot as a pistol on high, but I don't run it that way all that often.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Polar_Hops said:
I am almost using it constantly, i'm bored on spring break. My brother keeps stealing my car =\

I need something to do, so i put my pilas in my L4, wait untill it starts blinking, and replace the drained one with one out of the charger. I usually have to babysit my charger for five or 10 minutes, but i'm real bored.

Real nice of my brother to take my car over =\

[/ QUOTE ]
Havign you thought of taking up target shooting? you might enjoy yoru self a little more if you get something basic like a pellet gun and shoot in your backyard while your wheel is out and abouts, time will pass, trust me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif