3 watt LED driver options...

SubtleIrony

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade some of the Costco 1 watt Luxeons and XM-3s with Lux III... Wondering what the options are for a 3 watt driver to use with 2 AA NIMH batteries. I want to run the lux at somewhere between 500 and 750 mAH. I know about the Sandwich shoppe options... badboy... nextgen... and Elecktrolumens' Hypercircuit... are there more... better... cheaper options?

Zappy

Newly Enlightened
I have been fiddling with a noname Chinese flashlight that used an interesting discrete converter. See my site for details. I do like the Maxim solution. Must be a new chip, I only knew MAX1722 for this purpose!

lamperich

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Zappy said:
I have been fiddling with a noname Chinese flashlight that used an interesting discrete converter. See my site for details. I do like the Maxim solution. Must be a new chip, I only knew MAX1722 for this purpose!

[/ QUOTE ]

nope not really the datasheet is printed in Dec 2000.
it´s over 4 Years old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Zappy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Humm, the MAX1722 tops out around 180mA on a fresh cell.

[/ QUOTE ]
So it does, only in my app I only need to power four parallel 3mm hibrite LEDs. It even works on a depleted button cell! I better get a little blurb up on my site to show what I did. I hope to power my 3W Luxeon star from a 6V 5 cell NiMH battery without the 38% loss associated with a resistor. On my computer it works :-/