Annoying WinXP glitches

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, this has been going on for a while now, and to be honest, is driving me around the bend. Have a few problems, and have finally decided to ask for help. The errors in question only seem to affect THIS windows installation, as all the same software has been tested without problems on other machines. But having now been reinstalled three times on here, problems seem to start after a month or so.

1. Internet communication errors.

Quite simply, the computer refuses at seemingly random intervals to acknowledge the existance of any servers. Often when in the middle of downloading pages. Often I'll get the page, and no images. Hitting refresh repeatedly will usually get me there in the end - but needless to say, this is REALLY irritaiting when casually browsing! Especially when it decides to die in the middle of ordering something.

Also related is the fact that I can't seem to get any P2P/direct communication apps to work. They always report that I'm firewalled and can't accept incoming connections - even when (obviously, experimentally only) ALL security apps are shut down (I run AVG7 and ZoneAlarm - both fully up-to-date). Windows internal firewall is also shut down. This has been the same ever since I installed windows on this machine. And I've never managed to find out what's going on.

2. Settings refusing to save.

This one seems mainly restricted to Word (Office XP). I don't have the toolbars set up as standard, and perfer my own layout. Needless to say, I find it rather infuriating when nore often than not, I start Word only to find that everything has reset itself to the defaults.

Sure there were another couple I was going to ask about, but that'll do for now.

System in question:

Windows XP Home, SP2 + all auto updates in place.
ZoneAlarm standard + Most recent updates.
AVG7.
Office Xp Pro.

Can someone shed some light on this, preferably *before* I end up throwing the computer through the window or something.

14C

Enlightened
Turn off the Windows XP Firewall. With Z/A you don't need it and it can cause problems with connectivity.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
Turn off the Windows XP Firewall. With Z/A you don't need it and it can cause problems with connectivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

He already said that he has it shut off.

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
My system is perfect (right now), but it wasn't always that way.

My problems were:

1. WinXP would suddenly reboot with no reason given.
2. Sometimes, but not always, it would not complete the shutdown sequence; that is, it would do everything except turn off the power. So, I had to unplug it from the wall.

I researched these problems through Google and Microsoft. After a long time, I found both problems to be related to "USB Root Hubs". In other words, hardware problems. Just in case these sound familiar to anyone:

The solution to the "not completing the shutdown sequence" was solved by:

1. Control Panel
2. System
3. Hardware
4. Device Manager
5. Universal Serial Bus controllers
6. Open every "USB Root Hub" (in my case, I have 9 of them)
7. Right-click on each one in turn, and click on "Properties".
8. Go to the "Power Management" tab, and UN-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.".
9. Click "OK".

Do this for each USB Root Hub you have.

I always start my trouble shooting through Google by entering a description of the problem or the error message I am getting. Also, go to Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

Chuck

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, fine and good, and I'll remember that for future reference. Have never had any shutdown problems. Ocassionally the system won't start loading windows, but I've tracked that one down.

So, anyone got any ideas?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Hey zel, Hope these points help (from an ex MS tech)

1, Its hard to give you an answer with this detail. Have you done ping tests to confirm connectivity? Ping Google 127.0.0.1, your own IP and what are the results.
- Note that in my experience of troubleshooting with MS, Zone alarm has to be in the top 10 for causing connectivity issues. Uninstall it and use something else.

2. This is odd but easily fixed (assuming you are a local admin).
The quick solution
- search for normal.dot and rename it (its hidden - rename any you find). This will clear out any customised page settings and formats.
- delete the registry keys
HKLlocal Machine\Software\Microsoft\office\10.0\word
HKLocal Machine\Software\Microsoft\office\word
HKCurrent User\Software\Microsoft\office\10.0\word
HKCurrent User\Software\Microsoft\office\word

This will clear any and all customised tool bar settings and should allow you to make the changes you are after.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif enjoy !

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The connectivity problems may be your hardware (NIC or cable). It would be worth-while looking for stats on your tarnsport level errors.

Or it could be your antivirus fighting with zone alarm. Unloading one or the other should confirm this. Sometimes the order in which they are installed will make a big difference.

Good luck,

Daniel