Great monocle goggle for the one-eyed laserist

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Have you joined the club of one-eyed laserists and want to protect your laser investment by protecting your remaining good eye? If so I may have the perfect product for you. While going through my astronomy filters, I discovered that I have a filter that effectively blocks over 99% of light at 532nm. It's the Lumicon Ultra High Contrast Filter I have both the 1.25" and 2" model and would say most people would use the 1.25" model. The 2" filter would be great for making a pair of custom 532 laser blocking glasses. I have not tried shining the beam through the filter as they are pretty expensive; however with my PGL-III (+200mw) unit, the filter will completly block out the beam in darkness and reduce the green spot/termination point to a very dim dot. All this while letting most other light through. It only blocks a very narrow bandwidth of light. It does cause a color shift when viewing through them though. Checkout the link. For the most part, this post is for humor; but if yor an astronomer with nebula filters you might want to checkout how they perform at blocking these wavelengths.

Jack

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Data, the UHC filter does block all IR. It only passes a narrow band from about 480-505nm, everything above 505 or below 480 is blocked.

Jack

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that it may but as a general rule it is important to check this detail for any filter being considered.