elektrolumens xm3 replacement/alternatives?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need a 2aa light with decent runtime and a good reflector, lux III preferred. if nothing suits the bill, i'll get a streamlight pro polymer

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
i need a 2aa light with decent runtime and a good reflector, lux III preferred. if nothing suits the bill, i'll get a streamlight pro polymer

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your price range?

I think HDS is working on coming out with 2AA battery packs for their HDS line?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Streamlight Jr luxeon is ok. It is cheaper and about the same brightness too.

sotyakr

Enlightened
What ever happened to the "XM-3 clones" (looked like the same light, minus the clip) that were being offered by CPF'er Waion, way back when the EL began selling the XM-3. I seem to recall there was a bit of controversy as it appeared to sourced from the same factory in China, but now that the XM-3 appears to be history...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arent all of Waynes lights based on those China made lights? He probably mods the guts in em to make them 10 times better though...

RealGambler

Newly Enlightened
The best replacement for an XM-3 would be another XM-3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The SL Luxeon Jr. is a bit smaller and does not have such a big spot. Brightness is about the same as the XM-3, but it lacks side spill.

The SL 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon has more side spill than the Luxeon Jr. but it's not as bright as the side spill of the XM-3. The beam center is very small. It has way more throw than the XM-3.

I've just ordered a cheap 2AA Luxeon I flashlight from this German store. It is often recommended in a German discussion board. It runs on Alkalines and NiMHs. Should be here in 2 days. If you don't mind international orders and if this shop ships to the USA it might be interesting for you. I can give feedback about the flashlight's quality when I get it if you're interested.

There are only few flashlights similar to the XM-3. I still find the XM-3 the best compromise of all those lights. It's hard to replace by another flashlight. I wish I had ordered more than just one XM-3.

RealGambler

Newly Enlightened
It's not the smallest 2AA light, yes. But I perfer to have "something in my hand". The SL Luxeon Jr. for example is already to small to be comfortable. The XM-3 is perfect to me. The SL 4AA Luxeon is even larger, so it might not be the right one for you. Already had a look at the SL Luxeon Jr.? Besides the lack of sidespill it's a nice, small and cheap light. Only be careful when using NiMHs in it. The plastic hull must be intact as the metal body of the NiMH must not come into contact with the lamp body.