Preferred Packaging

Bright_Ideas

Newly Enlightened
I just read Catdaddy's post on the LED forum regarding his opinion of the Gladius plastic box. I thought that it would be interesting to see what folks considered the best packaging for high-end lights. Boxes, clear plastic clamshells, blister packs, hinged plastic cases (Gladius), etc?

I like seeing the product, but admit that a clamshell or blister pack seems to be better for products under $50.

Does it matter to you?

- - Brightidea

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxpedition? That would be nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, it would be nice to have it come in a hard tube that could be used to store the light while travelling, etc. Think minimalist dimensions. Maybe a place for a change of batteries too.

Scott

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I think a light in expensive packaging is just asking to be more expensive on the whole. (I mean the light will be a few dollars more to cover costs of more expensive wrapping - no seller will operate at a loss for long...)

I'm happy if it arrives in good working order with no cosmetic blemishes at all. If all it takes is a cheapo clamshell or similar then the packaging has done its job.

The product needs to look good, not necessarily the wrapping.

The other hand is, of course, if you are selling a top quality product, then you'll want the whole package to ooze classiness.

Just my coupla sense... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VERY BEST packaging I have ever encountered for a flashlight was the ORB's packaging in a unscrewable tube that was fitted for the flashlight. the packaging tube is so awsome that I keep it in the "orb tube" when I'm on the go.

koodos to Orb for finding the perfect packaging for his light.

doug

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trophy case. Think Beast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, that's for the special lights.

Reminds me of a thread where I mentioned that the KL1 I received came with spelling errors on the literature. This was said at a time when we were all counting the days, minutes and seconds till the release of the U2:

[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Or, we could all still be waiting for them to ship them with correct packaging. I think we're willing to suffer this to get the product in our hands yes?

Al

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Yes we certainly are. I would take my U2 in a plastic baggie if that's what it took /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I understand that the packaging on the new Gladius is only for the first 1000 units and after that it will be the more usual carboard type.

Personally I like the palstic box that the Gladius is shipped in but dont think it serves any purpose for a light that will be 'used' as opposed to being a show piece.

However, it is novel and seems appropriate for a light this expensive. Does it add huge amounts to the cost of the overall price? I suspect a few bucks but if that could be used to reduce the price then it would obviously be better packed in carboard.

Ultimately as long as it protects the light during trransport then that's all I care about because as soon as I get the light it is put into use. (I don't believe in buying tools simply to look at them!)

Doug

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Packaging is critical. It serves at least two funtions.

First: Packaging must protect the contents during shipping, whether it's to a retailer or the final owner.

Second: Packaging helps promote the product.

Some packaging is also specifically helpful to retailers, in preventing theft.

There are people who design packaging, for their career. It's an art, to design the best packaging, for the least cost. There are so many trade offs and compomises. Takes a lot of experience, to do it well.

Most of us, who have received the Surefire L5 or L6, know what lousy packaging looks like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the lights size to me. I like a biggert type light ( like a large spotlight) to come in something like a pelicase. For smaller lights, I like whatever gets it to me without damaging it. Small lights won't be staying in their box at all anyway.

RH

Enlightened
I miss the Arc plastic bags! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
I've always liked the packaging Inova uses. It is a clamshell package with cool reflective cardboard panel and a hole to "try me" (Buying units with half dead batteries from others trying them is not a big issue with their AA lights, where batteries are cheap). Perhaps not as utilitarian as some here would suggest, but I think that it definately adds to the market appeal.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Bradlee about Inova's packaging. The worst type is the sealed "clamshell" like Nuwai and so many others use. One risks personal injury or damaging the light trying to cut through the slippery, thick, plastic.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate those heat sealed clam packages.
Cut it open, take out the product. Find out it's defective and then no way to re pack it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way Otokoyama packages Al reflectors. He uses a section of a mailing tube like for posters/prints. In this tube is inserted another tube of gray foam which is shorter than the mailer. The reflectors are seated into each end. The plastic end caps are pressed on keeping the reflectors snug. Finally fiber packing tape is used to finish out the job. Simple. Effective.

Recently, I recieved three antique German made Pertrix flashlights. The seller used a block of styrofoam. He used a hot-knife styrofoam cutter to custom cut reservoirs for each of the lights. He wrapped the lights in tissue before placing them in to thier respective cut-outs. Then small wooden dowls where inserted into the styrofoam outlining the lights. These were stand-offs. A thin styrofoam lid was placed on top of the styrofoam block. Then two pieces of hard, non-corrogated card board where taped to the top and bottom of the construction. Theeeen, (eyelids getting heavy yet?) that was wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap and placed a perfect fit cardboard box. That box was sealed with brown packing tape then wrapped in brown packing paper and sealed up with clear packing tape, labeled and shipped.

These lights are unique 60-65 year old antiques that apparently had never seen a battery and came with original working bulbs.

Through email I commented about how pleased I was with the lights and the custom packing job. The seller admitted he worked as a curator for a museum. The whole operation took him only a few minutes.

My point is that this extra effort made the purchase more enjoyable and satisfying.

For a light in the $50.00 to $100.00 range, I just want to rip it out of the package and use it. For a light in the > $125.00 range, I would prefer some extra effort given to the packaging.