Looking for best duty carry torch

socal

Newly Enlightened
Hi, been searching around the forums for that perfect light, have a few ideas but was looking for more help in my application. Looking for a duty carry flashlight, currently have a stock UltraStinger that I like, but would like a smaller light. Have been looking at Aleph, Wolfeyes, and other custom or mods.

Would like a light with the following features:
-Small (Not much longer than 6")
-Strong Beltclip or fits to a basketweave holder
-Preferably Rechargeable
-30 minute min. run time
-Good throw, but coverage more important
-Great overall output
-Clean, whiter light

Cost not too much of an issue, figure I would like to buy one great light that fits the bill and not a bunch of lights that I won't put to use.

I like the amount of light that some custom and mod lights put out, but dont know where to purchase all the components to have one, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Strion.

Another possible suggestion would be an L4 with Pila 168s.

Mark

scudinc

Enlightened
What I love about the Strion is the short charge time as a standard option and the ability to charge it at any time. I'm not an LEO but I carry it nonetheless.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire L4 with Pilas. The cost is a bit high, and it is slightly lacking on the throw part (basically,it's a huge, bright, white, wall of light), but I think it will work well for you. I love mine a lot.

Penguin

Enlightened
Yep, it looks like what you're describing is the Strion, but whatever you choose be sure to have a backup! G2 with a P60 should be fine. Remember, two is one and one is none.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Penguin said:
...., but whatever you choose be sure to have a backup! G2 with a P60 should be fine. Remember, two is one and one is none.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words were never spoken!!!

I have yet to see a Strion in person or in action. My understanding is that it is slightly brighter than the Stinger (which ain't a slouch) and quite a bit shorter, and so it should be an EXCELLENT choice!

But since we may be talking about your life here, do consider a primary lithium light (G2 is a good one) as backup!

Whatever you choose, let's be careful out there!!!

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
After playing with one (thanks to JS Burly's passaround) I'd recommend you add a Pila GL3 to your shortlist. It doesn't have a huge throw, but it has a great flood beam. Lights up a scene better at close range. You can also get it with a car charger, and swap out the pila cells for 3xCR123As in an emergency. Also has an led tailcap, ideal for doing paperwork at night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you must also have throw, the strions mentioned above are focusable aren't they? (not had the chance to play with one, worse luck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Strion doesn't have a belt clip, and it's a throw light... So "coverage" isn't all that good.
Also... the switch on the Strion might not be too comfortable for frequent use.

Samuel

Enlightened
Are you looking to replace your primary or use it as a back up? I also like the Streamlight US (have two) and use a SF G2Z w/P61 as a back up.

If I wanted to replace the US with something smaller, I would most likely go with the Stinger HP and try to find this upgrade kit:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=814972&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Btw, this is how I carry my US on my belt - will fit most 1" diameter barreled lights.
http://www.texshoemaker.com/store/item130.htm

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Say, since cost isn't much of an issue, perhaps a Megaray is really what you want? It's a bit bigger than six inches, but light output more than makes up for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Newly Enlightened
Back before Strion days and not now having seen one I carried a SL-20 for major stuff (usually in a sap pocket, and good for improvised defense) and a LP6 w/ rechargable adapter in an ASP Baton holster (no correct pouches then). I also carried 2 extra batteries just wraped tape around them to keep them together and from shorting & dropped in a pocket in case I used up the rechargeables. I could pull off the adapter tube and be back in business. It gave me all the light I need in a normal street situation. I would consider the 6p agian in the same configuration.

socal

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replies. I had thought about the Strion, but was wondering if another light would be more powerful. It will be used as a backup to the Ultrastinger at night and carried during the daytime as primary light. There is a holder for the Strion that would fit.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does sound like the Strion meets your requirements. Getting a new Strion may be the easiest and least expensive option as well. I haven't yet used one so I can't recommend it. Don't overlook what you may already have.

I think that if you already have a surefire 6P you can get the A19 adaptor($20) and a P90 lamp ((20) and then use two Pila 150s rechargables ($25 for each battery and $45 for the charger). It's a little longer than 6" but I carried one on my belt for years. You could then use 3 123 batteries with the same setup as a back-up option. All this would cost as much as a new Strion though but you would have the option of using the primary batteries as well.
This setup will also be flexable to use two 123 batteries with the P60/61 lamp as well.
Both have good throw and good sidespill.

If you already own a Streamlight Scorpian you could just add one Pila 168s battery and use a Strion bulb for a rechargable option. You then could also be able to use two 123 batteries as backup but would need to change the bulb back to the Scorpian bulb (a backup one comes in the tailcap). It has good throw and sidespill too.

If you alreay own an L4 the Pila 168s battery works great with the option to also use two 123 batteries. The L4 has no throw and is all sidespill. Works great indoors or for short range outside in darker environments.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Seriously consider Samuel's suggestion of the Fivemega kits.

The Stinger with 2x168A Pila (now 2000mah) and Streamlight TL-3 bulb is considerably brighter than the stock Stinger and will burn just as long. The Stinger HP with 2 Pilas and the Ultrastinger bulb is noticeably brighter and smaller than the Ultrastinger with no sacrifice in runtime.

These mods get high marks for their "real world" performance and practicality. They are unique because they are brighter than stock, retain the same bodies and suffer no run time penalty. The Stinger HP/five mega is especially outstanding since it outperforms the Ultrastinger, uses a much smaller body and burns just as long. Increased brightness with no run time penality is a significant accomplishment. The cleverly conceived Pila-containing tubes permit extremely fast battery changes in the field; literally a matter of a few seconds. The Stinger HP/Pila has replaced the Ultrastinger for my personal use.

The Strion was an eagerly anticipated light. When I initially reviewd it I said it could serve as a replacement for the stock Stinger but I later lost my enthusiasm for it due to its narrow beam (dimmer than the Stinger's when focused to match the stinger's smallest beam), its overly modest knurling which provided a less than secure grip, and its somewhat awkward tailswitch. NTL, it is a fine, conveniently chargeable little light and many people like it.

Brightnorm

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
socal,

If you are looking for a great light that would fit in a basketweave "holster" for your Sam Brown, I suggest the SureFire 6P with a regular P60. The SF L4 is great, but is kinda pricey to get "used". You can use a couple of R123s with a P90 or P91 to take care of the "rechargeable" need if you so desire.

I have used a bunch of other SF lights, but for the price you can't beet the classic 6P. The Pyrex is great, but for "duty" gear nothing beats the lexan. Vertualy unbreakable.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Pila GL3. I was very impressed by the two I've handled so far. If you're looking for another LEO's opinion, PeteBroccolo now uses one on duty, and he seems to also have an excellent opinion of it. I'd search for his posts or PM him.

Most user's comments are on this passaround thread, but there are also a few review posts on the Reviews section.

My sig has a link to JSBurly's Pila site, excellent service.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila GL3R is right on the money.
About an hour run, 130 lumens of nice light with good side spill. It will fit in a Safariland baton holder. In a pinch you can use CR123's. You have a choice between a clickie tail switch or the LED switch. I carry the GL4R on duty with a clickie. I'm probably going to use the GL3R in a few months.