red lens cover vs red led

jcoldwater

Newly Enlightened
I'm new on this board. I just saw the surefire l1 w/red led and was wondering if having a red led is equal to a red cover for a white led?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I believe a red LED is more efficient on red light output than a white led with a red cover, however a white led with cover you can take the cover off and use it normally.

pyro

Enlightened
If only red light is needed, the red LED is better.
Better eficiency and longer lasting.
But the beams of the colored lights aren't as good as the white ones.

I suggest to look at the A2 from Surefire, this can have a low beam with red LEDs and bright Xenon high beam.
Maybe this fits your needs better.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus a white led has very few red light in it to begin with. An incandecent with a red filter will put out more red light than a white led with red filter.
A red led will put out tons more light than the white led and a good amount more than then incandecent of equal lumens with red filter.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Popping a red filter on a white LED is really bad efficiency since the white LED has its poorest performance in the red spectrum, hence the bluish HID-like color.
Like it was already said ... if you want red-only, go with a red LED and choose your reflective system carefully. The above mentioned SF A2 is a cool compromise for both ... red and white.
bernie

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Plus a white led has very few red light in it to begin with. An incandecent with a red filter will put out more red light than a white led with red filter.
A red led will put out tons more light than the white led and a good amount more than then incandecent of equal lumens with red filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isaac explained it well. I have red filters on my LEDs, but that is only for the purpose of getting a very low light setting. I use one on the low mode of my L2 (15 lumens) and I would guess it is only 2 lumens with the red filter. But I use it for that purpose. Maybe explain a little more what you want and how you plan to use it?

jcoldwater

Newly Enlightened
Could i just drop a red led in and run it like that? I just want a really cool looking light. The A2 may be just the thing.