LED Expected Lifespan and External Heat

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings fellow CPFers!

I have read other postings indicating a LED's lifespan is dictated by it's operating temperature. I have a G2 with a Bugout Gear 3 Watt LED module I keep in my trucks glovebox. Sacramento summers get the cab temp to 140+ degrees F.

My question is will this effect the lifespan of my light/LED (and batteries)?

Because of the summer heat I only carry 2 spare batteries in my spares carrier which I also leave in the truck.

Thanks in advance for the info!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When not in use, LEDs should not deteriorate if stored at temperatures exceeding 140°F.
Just my 2¢ here; individual results and/or opinions may vary.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the batteries though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it gets harmed most when heat and current is passing through it at the same time.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also maybe check the lumileds .pdf on STORAGE TEMPS and OPERATING TEMPS. I'm sure they have different values making me think that it's not going to matter much.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Luxeon III emitter is rated for storage between -40°C and 120°C. If your car interior gets anywhere near 120°C, I think you're going to have far greater concerns than what's happening to your flashlight.

Also keep in mind that the situation is reversed for storage - heat is trying to enter the light instead of leave it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
unless the light is left in the sun there is a chance it will take awhile to absorb the heat to get up to those temperatures anyway. Plastic lights will somewhat be insulated from the heat while metal ones that are left against other metal can siphon off heat to the car itself so the whole car would have to heat up to that rate. If you use large batteries... C/D cells they have to heat up also and would resist temperature rises. Have you ever reached in the trunk, behind the seat or another place where something metal is? If it isn't 140 degrees chances are your flashlight will be similarly affected.