Flaslight

Kreso_Bukvic

Newly Enlightened
Hy all. It is my brother wedding soon, yes he is doomed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and good gift would help him.

Well he likes fishing (he is ocnsidered fishing god here) becuase while others catches 0.2 kg fishes he manages to pull those >30 kg monsters. Somtimes he is on fishing for a few days and nights.

I want to buy him a flaslight, but a real flashlight that is a real lightsabre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I guess price range is <500 $ and better <250 $.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Krešo

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you are looking for a light that an outdoorsman would enjoy with long runtime and the ability to be very bright when needed. Your price range is very helpful.

I would first take a look at the Surefire U2 , it is a powerful LED light that has 6 brightness settings.

The other light that outdoorsmen appreciate is the Surefire A2 with white LEDs. This one combines a regulated incandescent lamp with the option of 3 long-running LEDs. Pick the white version. And don't forget to buy him a bunch of batteries too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BigPete

Newly Enlightened
When fishing, he's not going to want a monster which scares all the fish away when he wants to find out the time!

U2 or Gladius perhaps?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a good headlight; that will keep both hands free for fish fighting, and there's less chance of losing it to the lake (stream, river, creek, ocean, bay, inlet, sea, pond, puddle, hole). Good luck to you and your Bro, Kreso.

Kreso_Bukvic

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BigPete said:
When fishing, he's not going to want a monster which scares all the fish away when he wants to find out the time!

U2 or Gladius perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all advices. The flashlight will not be used for "pointing on water" it iwll be used for terrain. Sometimes he has to go few kilometers on foot to get to desired location. Somtimes this terrain is very hard to pass and full of sharp broken botles and such (becuse of very stupid people) so he needs somthing that will light the forest very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It does not have to be waterproof.

Krešo

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the U2 as well, because it can be dimmed down enough to read maps and read watches at short range without blinding yourself completely, as well as brightened up enough to see for the next 50-60 yards (meters).

Retail price is $270, so it's within your budget.

attowatt

Enlightened
Hi Krešo,

[ QUOTE ]
Kreso_Bukvic said:
I want to buy him a flaslight, but a real flashlight that is a real lightsabre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I guess price range is <500 $ and better <250 $.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Krešo

[/ QUOTE ]

As KevinL stated the U2 is the way to go. Not to mention the different settings available to the U2,(as stated earlier by leukos)

I like the "FEEL" this flashlight gives you when holding it. Dont get me wrong... I like the way my E1e or L4 feels at the office, but I REALLY like the way the U2 FEELS in my hand, out in the woods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

You will not be dissappointed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Jim

Edit: If he changes his mind...and doesn't get married.... it's yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Don't forget the CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra (only $16-$20 US), perhaps as a back-up/supplemental light.

While others have suggested some great flashlights (SF A2 and U2)that will fill many needs, he can hang that good old Ultra on a neck lanyard for hands-free fishing. Plus, it'll run a very looooong time on one cheap AA battery.

Anarcus

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought.
How mutch kit does he take to go fishing?
Balancing a couple of rods and a tackle box whilst walking a trail sounds hard enough without carrying a flashlight.

I'd go with a headtorch and a red beam photon 2.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Anarcus makes a very good point about a Head-Torch... which is why I suggested an Infinity Ultra (or maybe a PEAK Matterhorn, etc.). Having lost a few expensive fishing tackle items to the Deep Six over the years, something that offers Hands-Free illumination is a tackle-bound, multi-tasking fisherman's god-send. (Orvis usta make some neck-bound light contraption for tying on flies in the dark.) Besides, he can use the Ultra/PEAK for finding his SF A2 when it takes flight under streamside weeds and rocks! Frogs and snakes love Surefires!

PS.: to PlayboyJoeShmoe (and CPF'ers all)): thank you for the welcome. Yep, I guess my handle means what it implies.
Wouldn't trade the War experience ('68-'69-'70) for anything, either... but that's another story. Been lurking here for a while and decided to go street-legal. Already picked up tons of smarts from y'all, and I hope to share a bit of my own.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, there are many fine little lights and headlamps that will fit in the budget, which is a very generous budget. Good to hvae more than one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif