Red RAW

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif A few days ago I got my RAW's. One of them I asked to have no emitter, I had a feeling of living on the edge. So I did some calculations...

This

+ That

= Wowza

The <font color="red"> G2H </font> LuxIII is pulling 1.5 amps from the poor doomed rcr2. It is very bright. The beam has almost no spot. It looks nothing like the UY0J beam from Raw as delivered by Orb. It gets hot very much quicker than the UY0J too! I've kept the <font color="red">red</font>time to less than 30 seconds a shot, and let it cool down before turning it on again.

This was so easy too. I just pulled the emitter from the star following the several good instructions posted (dont'cha luv search?) Then I isolated the base of the pulled emitter with a thin as possible coating of the arctic 2part adhesive. Once it dried I used the same stuff to secure it to Orbs supplied emitter mount/heatsink. Added a 2 dashes of solder, making sure to properly align the anode and cathode. Several flips of the mount/heatsink was required for this to make sure I got it correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Then I put it all back together and started her up.

I don't know how long the <font color="red"> G2H </font> or <font color="blue"> rcr2 </font> will last but I'm sure it will be fun while it lasts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Best regards,
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWESOME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Did you remeber to test for isolation of the slug? The slug in these red/amber luxeons is connected to the postive lead. So if it touches a negative body of the light then the bond wire will make a dead short and melt! I guess it's ok as it's working. Just wondering if you knew about that! lol!

It gets hot because you've got about 4.65 Watts of power going into that thing!!!

Let me say that this is REALLY COOL! Looks like a big bullet/grenade round that lights up the room like the gateway to hell has opened up!!!

I don't like 123/CR2 batteries but if they are the recharable ones then... Hmmmm!!

Whats the price on the RAW w/o emitter? Probabaly out of my budget but MY GOD this is a rocking light! So small, so AMAZING!

What keeps the RCR2 from being discharged too far?! I've heard bad things happen when that occours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Are there protected R123's out there? I might do this to a QIII w/ R123's.. Hmmm!!!

Sorry for all the questions you just got me excited about the R/O again!!! I love that shiny light of yours!! GIMME!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Red Raw I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and WOWZA indeed. I bet its as hot as it looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif Is the little RCR2 really doomed tho ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the RCR2 unprotected really turn the same color as the LED when you discharge them too much? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes I knew about the slug being positive, that's why I slathered a thin layer of arctic epoxy on it and let it dry before final attachment to the supplied heatsink. I think Orb has set a price of 23 pounds on the RAW without emitters. Best to check with him tho.

With a 5c discharge placed on the rcr2 I think it will not live long, but we'll see. I've not used up a full charge...yet so I can't answer about keeping it from over discharge. I think it will get dimmer once the battery drops below 3v. I'll let you know when this happens.

I'm also taking care when playing with the light to not let it get beyond warm in my hand. I don't want the battery to get over heated. Big bangs are best left to someone else. I'm also using a Triton to charge these so I'm pretty confident if the battery is damaged I'll be able to see it before anything drastic happens.

Cheers,
Chris

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Almost forgot about the protected r123...

I do beleive that JS Burly sells some. I bought some protected r123 elsewhere and use them in my QIII and they go open circuit somewhere around 2.8 volts. They however only last about 24 minutes. The QIII used to be my EDC but I've switched to my McModuled PM6 with DB400. Runs incredibly long (comparitively) on two R123, and it is not overpoweringly bright like the QIII was. I use it at work on close up work and the glare was too much from the QIII

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Isaac, I'd almost forgotten to tell you what happened when the RCR2 was discharged to almost empty... The light went very noticeable dim. I quickly turned it off and checked the voltage, it was about 3.0V. I think that under load it would be lower but I did not have the motivation to break out my jumper wires at that time to check. I put the discharged battery in my charger and IIRC it read on the display to have charged the battery with 325mah.

Hope this helps,
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, glad to hear that there is a noticeble visual indicator of dimming to let you know when!! I think I found the host for my R/O luxIII mod coming up. It's a small 3xAAA light from waion, and thanks to litfuse I have some NiMH AAA coming for it too. Hopefully it will dim like the RCR2 before going too low!! Now I gotta order a R/O though still doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This light should be pretty small, about the size of a Q3 or smaller...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
My light is a little bigger than I thought it was, but still a nice pocketable size. I gotta figure out how to maximize heatsinking on this light. The reflectors is decent with a LD, so hopefully it will be better witha R/O... I'll be sure to post when the light is done, and hopefully have some pics!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh My! I just replaced one of my raw's with a 190 lumen r/o and
it lights up the entire room RED!!! Mine was a F4G and it was
drawing 1.7A from the poor rcr2!! It's time to make it a two stage
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens, is your luxeon a RED or Red-orange? If so that's the lowest flux bin code I've heard of on a R/O luxIII... When you make it 2 stage, make the low beam VERY low.. So you can save your night vision, and it's more of a shock when you go to full power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif muahah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

My light I'm going to mod has a reflector for a low dome and does pretty good. I hope the R/O is a good match for it. I can't really repalce the reflector without loosing all of my heatsinking and electrical path as it's all machined aluminium that's been threaded and vacuum deposited mirrored... More on that when mod time comes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
4sevens, is your luxeon a RED or Red-orange? If so that's the lowest flux bin code I've heard of on a R/O luxIII... When you make it 2 stage, make the low beam VERY low.. So you can save your night vision, and it's more of a shock when you go to full power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif muahah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

My light I'm going to mod has a reflector for a low dome and does pretty good. I hope the R/O is a good match for it. I can't really repalce the reflector without loosing all of my heatsinking and electrical path as it's all machined aluminium that's been threaded and vacuum deposited mirrored... More on that when mod time comes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's r/o. It's supposedly rated 190 lumens at 1.5A!
I think the flux ratings are different than white.

I just put primaries into it and it also quite bright and usable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens, right the letters are different. When did you get this R/O? very recently? People have gotten bins H2GH, G2GH, & G2HH so far.

H 200-260 lumens
G 155-200 lumens
F 120-155 lumens

Also note that yours is a color bin "4", which means it's a lot more true RED than Red/orange usualy is. That would explain why it had less lumens... But according to the bin you have max 155 lumens with it... This is a very odd R/O you got!! Sounds like it's really a RED that got dumped into the R/O pile and they measured it and binned it as a R/O.. It sounds like it's a RED due to the color and flux bin with Reds being ~140 lumens. It's too low to be the typical flux for a R/O, but then again the min flux is 120..

Can you please confirm the 4th letter of your star? F4G_?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
4sevens, right the letters are different. When did you get this R/O? very recently? People have gotten H2GH, G2GH, G2HH, and now F4G!

H 200-260 lumens
G 155-200 lumens
F 120-155 lumens

Also note that yours is a color bin "4", which means it's a lot more true RED than Red/orange usualy is. That would explain why it had less lumens... But according to the bin you have max 155 lumens with it... This is a very odd R/O you got!! Sounds like it's really a RED that got dumped into the R/O pile and they measured it and binned it as a R/O..

Can you please confirm the 4th letter of your star? F4G_?

[/ QUOTE ]

oops... I read the wrong star.... I got a G2GH
I put a F4GR into a Minipro3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got done editing my post again. OK cool, a G2GH, yes that makes more sense. You were scaring me. I thought Lumileds was releasing dimmer and dimmer R/O's!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif