Thanks and some suggestions for everyday lights.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Im new here, having been lurking a bit and wanted to thank people for all for all of the useful information I have found so far. I am interested in some suggestions for some lights to try for everyday use and had some specific questions.

I live in suburban NYC (Long Island) and hadnt thought much about flashlights until the blackout a couple years ago and none of the flashlights we had worked. I managed using an HP IPAQ as a light but it obviously left a lot to be desired. After the blackout I bought about 8 Maglites of different sizes and they have served pretty well for occassional use and in some short power outages since.

But I became aware of the more high tech flashlights and this forum by way of a thread on a frequent flyer forum and thought some of those here might have some suggestions for my particular needs.

I travel over 200,000 miles per year (closer to 250 some years), all by plane. Since the blackout I carry a 2AAA maglite at all times. It has come in handy on several occassions, once when a hotel lost power.

As I think about it I have several uses for lights as well as for emergencies.

Uses are
1) looking in briefcases, backpacks or whatever for small objects that have gotten lost

2) Not tripping and breaking my ankle while wondering around some strange hotel room in the middle of the night (the orange Freedom Micro I got last week seems to fill this job)

In less typical situations:
1) lighting an area in the case of a power failure
2) emergency lighting in case of something worse, ie a hotel fire or other nastiness

Then at home I use lights in the yard at night (VERY small yard) and particularly for cooking on the grill. When I am home I often work late but like to cook on the grill so it is often dark. A 2D mag works for this but I am looking for something more high tech and I would be better off with more output over a wider area.

I was thinking of either a combination of an Inova X5 and a good incandescent light for travelling. The X5 doing area and long term area work with the incandescent doing the "emergency" role. Does this make sense? If so what is a good compact incandescent? I looked at the SF E2E and the SL TL-2, both looked very nice but the SF was a work of art. Does the lower output of the SF (compared to the SL TL-2) really matter for most things? Or should I just get a SF A2 and be done with it?

Alternately, if I only wanted to carry one light in the carryon bag maybe a hybrid? I bought a SL 2L Twintask yesterday to try but would be interested in suggestions. I also bought a SL Jr. Luxeon as a backup in my carryon. I was also considering the Nuwai 301 or Q3 to keep in my pocket (with the Photons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Around the house I was thinking of a SL TL-2 LED. Should be great for the BBQ. I could also throw it in my bag if so moved. Any other suggestions? Or does a rechargeable make more sense?

For someone who thought maglites were the be all, end all, I am a bit overwhelmed by the variety. And can see the addiction arising. At least this addiction may not be quite as expensive as my fountain pen or watch addictions, although my wife is at least getting used to them.....

Can some of you suggest a strategy for me to make some sense of all of this and go with my next few light purchases? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite some first post, and I would like to be the first one to welcome you to CPF. Hold onto your wallet, and remember, when in doubt, buy both.

This may not cover all your needs but to me I would think you probably want 2 lights that would go with you, maybe a very small backup light, some extra batteries, and a light or two for at home.

You main light should probably be 2 stage, or more then 2 stage, and LED, so you don't have to look for bulbs while on the go. Depending on how much you want to spend some of your options are HDS's offerings, the Surefire L1 (don't think the L1 is enough light) L2, A2, U2, or L4 with a 2 stage switch, or a McGizmo, witch are semi custom lights that are of the highest quality. To really tell you what's good for you we really need to know how much you want to spend, and if you plan to take your light with you everywhere or just leave it in your hotel room. Right now an L4 with a 2 stage switch and rechargeable looks like a good buy, if you plan to use your light a lot.

I think the Invoa 5X would be a good purchase to take with you, as its pretty much indestructible, gives off a decent amount of light, and is very useful in doors. You would also use it to dig through bags or look behind things. The other major benefits to the X5 are that it isn't all that pricey, and they are NOT hard to find. However, your Streamlight Jr may already fit that bill and you may not need another light for the same thing.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Thanks and some suggestions for everyday light

Welcome!

From what I've read and heard, you did well with the SL Jr. 1 watt.

From what I KNOW, you did well with the TT2L.

Since you are used to having a Minim*g with you, you may want to get something that drops in to it. The Opalec Newbeam is a 3LED regulated bulb replacement that is very very nice in low ambient light or total darkness. The "to die for" drop in is a Lambda 3W Minipro. Hard to get, but worth it! Nice spot with nice spill!

You will notice that we all hammer you with LED lights. Two good reasons: They are usual much nicer to the batteries (longer lasting light). And of course they never pop like incandescent bulbs.

For user (lots of use) lights, consider AA powered (able to use NimH) lights. The Opalec and Lambda are both NimH friendly.

And for storage lights demand Lithium batteries either AA, CR2 or 123A.

Lastly for outdoor grilling and MANY other uses, consider a headlamp. There are some excellent ones!

And once again, WELCOME! (and hide your wallet!)

watt4

Enlightened

welcome to cpf!

[ QUOTE ]
GadgetTravel said:

2) Not tripping and breaking my ankle while wondering around some strange hotel room in the middle of the night.....

[/ QUOTE ]

consider a palight. rectangular cross-section, so it won't roll off a nightstand and disappear when you need it. has a very low always-on mode, so you could point it towards your bed and find it in the dark. uses a 9-volt battery. for the darkest hotel rooms, you could turn it on the low setting, set it on the floor, point it towards the bathroom, and let it run all night.

[ QUOTE ]
GadgetTravel said:
Alternately, if I only wanted to carry one light in the carryon bag.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand? what does this mean, "only wanted to carry one light"? is that some foreign language? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally went from Maglites to an A2, which is still one of my best lights.

How do you like your Twintask?? I've got both, and the A2 is everything the Twintask wants to be with a slightly more expensive bulb. More than worth it for the other good points, though, IMO. I love it!

Welcome to CPF!

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd guess that the Surefire L4 would be perfect for you -- a great big beautiful flood from just a little light. Top quality. And only one button to push.

The Surefire U2 is a great light because of 6 easy-to-switch light levels. But it's twice the cost and a lot bigger.

The HDS Basic 40 is a good EDC, but also expensive.

And if you want a top-end custom with lots of light levels, I think Charlie (Mr. Bulk) still has a couple of Lioncubs for sale at about $351 with charger.

Zigzago

Enlightened

I second the suggestion of a headlamp for BBQ use. You need one hand to hold the tongs, one hand to hold the lid or the plate, right? I use a 5 LED Browning headlamp when checking the grill, but there are many similar models to choose from.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
GadgetTravel said:
Can some of you suggest a strategy for me to make some sense of all of this and go with my next few light purchases? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome aboard for sure! If you figure out that "strategy", please share it with the rest of us!! We're all "addicted" in one way, shape, or form and could use some help!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, there's some good suggestions here. Those "20 keychain LED lights for $20 from County Comm" are very practical and affordable to give out to family & friends. They certainly are easy to carry and come in handy during "times of need"!!

An "Eternalight" is a great loooooooong run light in the shape of a pager and has many programmable options. Very nice light for traveling as well as anything else!

Of course I could go on and on and on...but that's what the zillions of pages of information here on the CPF are for! Enjoy!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might have made 200 K miles last year, not sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I find it very helpful to have a long running, low spill light (don't want to bother seat neighbors) to help with reading as aircraft lighting in all classes is usually marginal at best, especially on overseas flights where they keep the curtains closed the whole way. I 've used an Inova X1 and Dorcy 1AA 3 LED light for this, and I think the Dorcy works better - I don't have to hold the light so far away from the book. I've since upgraded my Dorcy 1AA with 26 K LEDs so it's much brighter now - don't know, maybe even too bright. We'll see.

For general use, the basic Dorcy 1AAA (also now upgraded with a 26 k LED) takes care of pretty much everything else I use a light for. I can't overemphasize how much better the 26 K upgrade has made this light, which was pretty good for its intended use before.

Both these lights also have pretty much zero chance of spooking the TSA people and they don't have to run on lithium batteries (ditto).

For fun, I sometimes take something brighter like a 1xCR123 Sharper Image light or QIII, but it really isn't necessary. I don't want to take anything on a trip which it would really bother me to lose, what with the possibility of airline theft and TSA touchiness. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

First of all, if you haven't already, check out the best frequent flyer board, www.flyertalk.com. I am a volunteer moderator and it's terrific.

My strategy as a frequent traveler:

1. L4 in my pocket, with 2-stage switch for huge flood or much less light if I want it for reading.

2. A low power headlamp, a PrincetonTec Aurora, which is perfect for reading. You don't have to hold a light and it is very small and easy to put in the seat pocket in front of you.

3. Backup lights...a few single LED lights. I put an Infinity in the bathroom in the exact same place next to the faucet at the hotel, for use when I'm in the bathroom or should power fail. I also carry other lights, as I am an addict. Often a Q3, another headlamp (PT EOS), a UK 4AA eLED, and a C3 with HOLA and rechargables.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

BTW, I've traveled with all sorts of lights, none of them big, and never had a peep from the TSA.

DaveT

Enlightened

Welcome to CPF, GadgetTravel.
Sounds like you're asking all the right questions, and you'll definitely get a lot of good opinions to sort through here.

One suggestion - keep your 2AA and 2AAA Maglites - there are a lot of options for the 2AA Maglites, but my current favorite option is the MJLED - will work in both lights, and will transform them easily and cheaply. So easy, I can do it - trim the leads of the LED, drop it in like a regular bulb, and drill out the reflector (carefully).

As far as blackout lights for the home, I'd highly recommend you look into lanterns. Again, lots of opinions on what's best. My top recommendations would be the Nuwai 12-LED lantern (runs on 4D cells) - it also is cobranded several different ways, but they're basically the same thing. Fully adjustable output, said to last about 40 hours on full power. Not the brighest, but if it's a blackout, it'll be enough light, especially if you get several.

Best value (in my opinion) is the Innovage 12-LED lantern - runs on same 4D cells as the Nuwai, different body look, but it's $9.99 Innovage lantern (oops, I see they bumped up the price a buck since I last looked).

GE's Steelbeam fluorescent lanterns are made a bit tougher, run off 4D cells and available at Costco for $15 (last time I looked). Decent, similar output to the 12-LED lanterns on high power, but it's on or off - not adjustable.

For much smaller area lights, Office Depot has the Energizer 2-LED folding lanterns that run on 4AA batteries for $3.29 each - they're an incredible deal at that price. You could have them for every room in the house, leaving them running all night long in the rooms you'd need them in, or keep one in the bathroom and use a cluster of them in a family room or wherever everyone's hanging out to make it brighter.

I've been a big fan of the Streamlight TwinTask 2Ls - had them in the car and in a my "grab bag," but I've gotten rid of mine in favor of these 3-watt lights that mimic the SL Tasklight 3-watt. Hi/lo 3-watt
They should be arriving soon - but I think they'll be a good replacement for the incan/LED 2L.

For carry/briefcase lights, there are a lot of options. No matter what you choose, I'd recommend that spare batteries be part of what you carry.
There are several ways to look at it - some like to narrow it to a single battery type (generally CR123, AA or AAA), others like to have some overlap so if there's a need to replenish supply, you're likely to find at least one of them.
On the cheaper end of the 2-CR123 body types, there's the Pelican PM6 and the Surefire G2 - these fit well in a jacket pocket or briefcase, and with Bugout Gear's new 3-watt drop-in module, you could make either light an incan/LED option as you prefer it.

In single CR123, I'd say the Nuwai QIII is a real bang-for-the-buck winner. Small enough to carry easily in a pocket, and cheap enough it wouldn't be a huge trauma if it were lost/stolen on a trip.

In the "still coming to market" column is the LRI Proton, which will run on a single AA battery and is said to put out 60 lumens, with fully adjustable brightness. I'm looking forward to this one.

You just can't go wrong with an Infinity Ultra - long runtime, tough, single AA battery.

Good luck in your search, and let us know what you decide to go with.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

Well, sorry about the long first post, the whole thing is a bit overwhelming. But thanks for all of these replies, they both make some interesting suggestions and provide some good food for thought. I realize that asking for addiction strategy is a bit odd now that you mention it, but, I have to start somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Im very interested in the L4, it seems to have a lot of advantages. Im assuming the 2 stage switch is a custom add-on, how difficult is that to do? Also the Q3 and the Eterna are lights I was looking at and are likely going to end up getting purchased at some point in the not too distant future.

I think as a first step I am going to get either an X5 or an Eterna. That will cover me on the small very long life light front. It will also give me time to think about what to get next, at this point the L4 looks pretty good as does the A2 or an ElE with a cheaper LED like the SL Scorpion.

Ill have to think about how many I want to carry (as opposed to own). On my last trip my backpack had 4 cellphones, a Palm T5, Dell X50V, Apple Mini IPOD, Dell Juke Box, 12 Powerbook, plus lots of other assorted crap. I keep trying to cut down the weight but going in the wrong direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I like some of the suggestions about travel lights in particular so I will have to give them some thought.

One other thing, I learned about these forums on a thread at www.flyertalk.com. Ive been there for a while, with about 4000 posts thusfar. Thanks again everyone.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

Welcome,GadgetTravel, I apologize if I am in any way responsible for what could become a new addiction besides travel... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob_G

Enlightened

I'm a newbie as well, but I've bought a dozen or so lights in the last few months, I'm outdoors a lot at night in a rural environment with high drive dogs, and I've read everything there is to read here and at FLR.

I don't have an x5, but of the lights you've mentioned, if you only had one, that would be a good choice I think.

But not my choice. You need three lights. One, an Aleph2-1x123 (and for me I'd say SFT or maybe FT) for on the road - this would be my choice if you could only have one. Second, an L4 with a 2-way switch (I have an L2, and I just don't see the point of an L4 as sold) or an L2 for the home. A flood beam is nice indoors and the L4 should be less intense than the L2, but the L2 would definitely take care of your backyard duties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Third, some little whatever for a spare.

I wouldn't have suggested the Aleph if you didn't look like you sere willing to spend the money. This is one seriously useful tool. Read the FAQ in the McGizmo forum, and the links therein - Bernard knows what he's talking about.

scudinc

Enlightened

I think you should start off with one or two "intermediate" lights before you get a SureFire. It'll make you appreciate the SF more. Get some MJLEDs (from the Sandwiche Shoppe), a TerraLux Microstar for your MiniMags, and an Inova X5 as a backup. For something miniscule, try the Arc-AAA Gen. 4, coming out next month. It's CPF's favorite light of all time, resurrected and vastly improved. For your incandescent, I'm tempted to suggest the Underwater Kinetics 2L. It's the smallest 2-cell incan, has good runtime, is light, is cheap enough that you won't have to sell your body to buy a new one (though you can if you'd like), and can take the UK Luxeon module for long runtimes.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

Thanks, this seems like some pretty sound advice as well. One question though is what about the Opalec drop ins for the minimags? I noticed that Brightguys has them on sale for 2 for 1. Also I see lots of references to MJLEDs. Im not sure what they are however.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Hey GadgetTravel and Bob_G, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

MJLEds are from our own Lambda:
MJled

The Opalec was a great drop in some time ago, but with the variety of sandwiches and the debut of the bright and inexpensive Streamlight SL Jr., I wouldn't recommend an Opalec.

I fly with two lights, in addition to the Arc AAA that's always present on my keychain (but once I leave home, my keys reside in my suitcase and aren't seen until I get home).

One is my goto light, either an E2e with 3W modded KL1 and McE2S two stage tailcap, it's bulletproof, with two levels of light and slim profile; or my Mr. Bulk Lionheart, rechargeable, 64 levels, real brite (as mentioned, you can get on the new Lioncub list right now). The L4 fits in there great as well. This goto light is in my briefcase 24/7.

The second is a single CR2 or 1x123 light, like the Firefly w/ CR2 tail, Katokichi Ichishiki or Arc4. That stays on my person or by the nightstand, so whether I need to pee in the middle of the night in a strange place, or there's a blackout in a conference room I've never been in, I'm prepared.

In addition, I've carried an Eternalight, which is great because it has multiple levels, the better models have a blue locater flasher, and I load 'em up with lithiums for long storage. You can leave that in your suitcase year round. I also carry the $1 coinlights noted above, they are great to hand out to coworkers or the busboy, and may really help someone out in a blackout.

I have considered that an incan would be better for a hotel or office building fire, to pierce the fog and smoke, but the Lionheart has good throw and I don't want to deal with a blown lamp in an emergency.

Oh, BTW, I also carry in my suitcase an EVAC-U8 smoke hood for fire emergencies. While chances are the Hilton won't burn down like that hotel for immigrant families in Paris, I know that in the middle of the nite in an unfamiliar place, on a high floor, that's ripe for killing me.

The X-5T is a great light, but I use it most for around the house and camping, not travel. One more thing to consider, if your travel is in large part international, you need to carry extra CR123s, cuz you may find then hard to get overseas. And if you do that, some countries airport employees will confiscate your loose CR123s without warning or explanation. In that case, your SL Jr. or other AA torch may be the best bet!

In our BOBs we have a CMG Infinity Ultra for long life and an incan like the SF E2e or SL Scorpion. And like DaveT, I like the Innovage 12-LED lantern for blackouts at home, ten bucks is great. But, can't wait til we find a source for that Osram Golden Dragon Lantern!

welcome again,
daloosh

CyByte

Newly Enlightened

What about a 1 CR123A light? like the Inova T1? My Inova X5 has suited me and served me very well over it's life

mateen

Enlightened

I just got a FireFly~2 and it has replaced all my other lights for what I consider "everyday" uses - poking around under my desk, behind the computer, in the backpack, through the warehouse, spotting the backyard, looking for the cat, bbqing, and reading in bed. With the two-level switch it really can do it all, save really long-range spotting/tactical uses. It is also tiny, well-made, and reliable, after I tinkered with it a bit, following the documentation here on CPF. Give it a look. The only bad things people say about these is that they are expensive (but not too extravagant) and they require a bit of modding to get the best out of them (not necessarily a negative to many people including me!). I love mine because it fits on my keychain, takes a lanyard, does the tailstand, gives long life on a single cell (on low) and is blindingly powerful (on high). Give it a look.