Luxeon Star Adhesive?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Will AA hold a star onto an aluminum heatsink? I've only dealt with emmiters and I always use AA with them.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
works perfectly.. if you have the star affixed mechanically (i.e. pressure from the bezel i.e. LH) you do not need any adhesive.. only some heat sink compound like arctic silver or alumina but not the epoxy.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
So I can just use a layer of thermal copmpund under the stars?
I'm planning to do a tri-lux mod in a mag, so the pressure from the reflectors and the lens should be enough.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup i would do it sans adhesive if the reflector/lens pushes down.. stealing the idea from the lionheart.. this makes upgrading easy peasy japanesy. not to mention if you don't like the arrangment you can move them around.. the past holds things in place pretty well just from the incredible vacuum created.. 15# per square inch.. they hold really well while you are waiting to put the top on.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Nemul.

I believe AA here is referring to Artic Alumina(grease), and please don't confuse it with AAA(Artic Alumina Adhesive) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
AA or Artic Alumina makes both contact grease and expoxy. Common use of AA in posts without noting which one is confusing.

My favorite way to attach stars is to use AA grease to entire bottom surface. then use a small drop of superglue to edges. glue will wick around edges. then hold down firmly for 1-2 minutes and you are done. VS need to clamp down while AA expoxy sets.

mechanically attaching stars by screws works well. apply AA grease here too. most surfaces are not perfectly flat.

object is to make complete contact with two surfaces ending up with thinest possible layer.

if done correctly, attaching emitters with same technique allows removal later without damaging emitter. object is to cover completely metal slug of emitter with AA grease without getting on plastic edges.

really anal folks will lap surfaces before aplying AA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

emitter.JPG

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to lap the surfaces of all my mods. I haven't been recently. I would lap the HS until it was mirror smooth...

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Thnaks for the help. I guess I will go with Andrew's method and just use some grease under the stars.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like cy's method.. AA non-adhesive and tiny tack of superglue, but for your design completely not necessary.. a drop of AA in the center of the start and swirl it around to set it... as far as 'lapping' goes.. probably overkill in most cases.. but when i remove an emitter from a star .. i will use a dremel and a soft sanding disc to sand it smooth.. the AA fills any gaps anyhow... and being mostly aluminum, i bet it would be pretty ok even if it had some thickness to it.

-awr