Inova X1: how about a wide beam version

Raven

Enlightened
Seems like a no brainer to me. Especially since so many poeple consider the new Gerber Infinity a bit of a let down.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Re: Innova X1: how about a wide beam version

Raven, that's a great idea.

There's a noticeable performance (brightness) drop-off between my old Infinity Ultra-G and my new Gerber Infinity Ultra, and the Gerber's finish isn't as tough, either.

While ALL Inovas are nifty THROW-biased lights, it looks like there could be a real market opportunity here for them. The Inova X1 is about 0.7 longer than the Ultra, but that shouldn't thwart re-engineering its optics to make it a good "spiller" like the old CMG Infinity Ultra.

On the other hand, the X1 occupies such a unique product niche, Inova may be reluctant to mess with its image. Then, there's also the competition from the multiple PEAK lights and Peter Gransee's new ARC line-up for them to consider.

My green LED X1 "spotlight" throws a 7 ft. wide beam at 50 ft. in non-ambient lit shadows Outside. So, I'd hate to see it eliminated for another spill-light. If Inova could make an ADDITIONAL spill version as you suggest (and at a similar cost), I think they'd have a winner.

Raven

Enlightened

Yeah, that's what I meant. Two different versions. Like a lot of folks, if I had known what was going to happen, I would have probably bought several of the classic Infinity Ultras, before it was too late.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened

Yep, the old CMG Infinity Ultras are classics. Though hard to find, they're still out there. I believe Product Wizard and Factory 101 still shows 'em on their web sites (unless they've quietly replaced 'em with the Gerbers, as Strobe-Light seems to have done).

It also just occurred to me that I've overlooked the Inova X5 in this equation. As Inova's only "spill" light, I wonder if the X5 might actually compete with a new spill-version of the X1?

Still, if Inova could make an an X1 "spiller" for $20, with Throw and Output rated about 4 and 5 (per QuickBeam/FLR's measurements), don't you think they'd have a pretty strong entry... albeit in a fairly competitive market niche?

Raven

Enlightened

Factory 101. I Googled them, and all I got was a fashion site.

Do you have a link?

Anyone who wants to suggest this idea to Inova can contact them at: [email protected]

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened

Raven:

Try Googling "factory101" (with no space before 101). Their website shows the CMG Infinity Ultra (white LED) for $17.88. I haven't ordered from them, so I suggest you check w/them to confirm that it's a actually a CMG, not a Gerber.

Product Wizard (who recently got high marks from a fellow-CPF'er) also shows the Infinity Ultra... at the bottom of a drop-down that first lists a bunch of less-desireable regular Infinities. The Ultra is the last one.

I recently ordered one from Strobe-Light. Their website shows a CMG Inf. Ultra (at a good price). However, they shipped me a Gerber. I think a lot of big outfits don't make the distinction between the two (CMG vs. Gerber) as we do.

Let us know if ya get good results.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
TonkinWarrior said:
Raven:

Try Googling "factory101" (with no space before 101). Their website shows the CMG Infinity Ultra (white LED) for $17.88. I haven't ordered from them, so I suggest you check w/them to confirm that it's a actually a CMG, not a Gerber.

Product Wizard (who recently got high marks from a fellow-CPF'er) also shows the Infinity Ultra... at the bottom of a drop-down that first lists a bunch of less-desireable regular Infinities. The Ultra is the last one.

I recently ordered one from Strobe-Light. Their website shows a CMG Inf. Ultra (at a good price). However, they shipped me a Gerber. I think a lot of big outfits don't make the distinction between the two (CMG vs. Gerber) as we do.

Let us know if ya get good results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about product wizard, I have had a photon on back order since jan, and have not got return phone or E-mail replies after many attempts. but that's just my case. VDG