Driver for 2x RGB flashers

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,
I recently got into kites (needed something to do while the sun is out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I thought it might be nice to light my kites up at night, and found these: Ultra lights . Not bad, but I think we can do better. I was thinking two RGB flashers driven by one or two AAA batteries. The questions becomes which driver to use? Thanks!

DasFX

rgbphil

Enlightened
Hi DasFX.....
Just might have something for you, but not right away....whats your timeframe.
Firstly:
- do you want a cranking, high power set of RGB leds (eg something like 4 x 3W Prolites being driven or maybe an array of smaller 5mm RGBs?
- do you want all RGB LEDs the same colour, or would you like to have them independant eg have some wing one colour and the other wing another, the center being another colour as well.
- do you want some cool patterns splashing out aka UFOs from Close Encounters?
- any idea of the max weight limit, flying time etc?

If you don't want to wait too long, I could do a custom job, probably around...$AU75-$100 with 5 independant RGB channels (2 per wing, one in center...1 per wing, 3 down the middle etc) going to at most 3-4 5mm RGB LEDs per channel. You'd pick your pattern on the ground with an IR remote (no switches apart from on/off) then bring it in range of the IR to change (....I suppose you could build a souped up IR remote to beam it into the clouds while flying..). The PCB would have about 3-4 chips, misc caps and resistors but no heavy inductors as it'd be a linear drive cct, not terribly efficicent, but light.

This would be a one off, PCBs homemade not production quality and I'd need to work with you on the mechanical configuration not having kite experience...but I wouldn't mind the experience of getting my tech into the sky!

PS: If you want the cranking high power LEDs, we'd need to discuss weight, the driver would be a little heavier and the high power would need a bigger battery.

PM me or msg on this forum OK.

rgbphil
RGB Sunset Productions