Frustrated opening retail packaging?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am totally fed up with the welded plastic clamshell packaging that electronics and lots of other stuff is packaged in these days. I can't even get them open easily with a sharp pocket knife or a full-sized pair of scissors.

I decided to get some heavy-duty scissors/snips for the job. I found a pair at a craft store that work well. They are Fiskars brand "Utility Cutters." They definitely cut through that thick plastic easily and make the job faster and safer. I just thought I would pass this tip along. Here's a link with a picture:
Link to random retailer

The_virus

Enlightened
This kind of packaging is pretty frustrating and excessive. On the other hand you know that your product hasn't been opened if the seal is all the way around. It's also easy for retailers to see if the "unopened with original receipt" part of their return policy has been fulfilled.

To open these, I use my EDC Leatherman Juice XE6 sheep's foot contoured blade. The straight blade gets jammed every now and then, while the contours of the blade (I refrain from calling it a true saw) on the sheep's foot just gouge through when it gets jammed.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nice pair of very sharp tin snips that I keep in my vehicle in leiu of scissors. They are actually nice enough to cut paper but easily tough enough for that damn clamshell packaging, seatbelt webbing, or even light steel tubing if needed (hence their place in the car).

Still those Fiskars utility cutters look like they'd be nice for the house.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I guess there are some good points to the packaging. I always thought it was to discourage shop lifting (since you can't take the item out of the package in the store). If it helps keep the price down, I guess I can't complain.

At least not now that I have something that will cut through it.

And by the way, the utility cutters are NOT packaged in a plastic clamshell vault. So you never have to wrestle with one of those again if you don't want to.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
What would be bad is if they sold a pair of cutters for plastic clamshells.... packed in plastic clamshell. I have used heavy scissors and sharp utility knives on a wooden bench to open plastic stuff. I think some companies are getting the hint and putting their plastic shells in cardboard holders with the plastic locked together with round indentions. Some batteries are like that so you can reseal them. Perhaps someone will make a laser plastic opener similar to a stapler so you don't melt a finger or eyehall by accident.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I managed to stab/cut myself (lightly) in the hand while trying to open one of those DAMN THINGS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I hate them. Oh, yeah, and why do you get a 8.5x11x1" cardboard box for a CD containing software? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

I guess I should report this in the "quirks" thread too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree. I've nicked myself numerous times while trying to open up those heavy plastic clamshells. I can understand the angle about protecting the product from shoplifting, but geez, the packaging shouldn't hurt people.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up these scissors at Target about 1.5 years ago. These scissors came with another pair of smaller scissors. The brand is Friskars. It cuts that welded plastic very easy.

dsc006851ru.jpg

drizzle

Enlightened
This is what I use. It's a Wiss M2. I bought it for cutting metal and carpet.
7734d5f8.jpg

It cuts through that packaging like butter. The only downside is that it has curved blades. It tends to wander a bit while cutting. See...
51b2782e.jpg

I may pick up that Fiskars. It looks a little easier to use.

Am I incredibly bored and avoiding housecleaning? You be the judge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Clamshells are evil! McMaster ships metal bar stock in cardboard "pipes" with wood plugs nailed in the ends. I have both horizontal and vertical bandsaws. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a hard timeing opening them things they should open it for ya

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just use a table saw to open em... that is the fast way to do it but don't slip or you end up with two items instead of one.

drizzle

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i have a hard timeing opening them things they should open it for ya

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea raggie! If we all demand that the store employees open the package for us right after we pay we might put some pressure on the stores to carry merchandise that isn't so hard to open.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Well, I can dream can't I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
That IS an interesting idea... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

How about a clamshell with a lock at the top that's held in place by a plastic anti-theft thingy? It could be released at the cash register at the same time that the embedded tag is deactivated.

Gads, it shouldn't take GARDEN SHEARS or WIRE CUTTERS to open a simple retail package! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

redcar

Enlightened
I use EMT scissors. Available at local EMT/Nurses/Home health outlets or at different outdoor/survival e-tailers. Cheap and will cut a penny in two.

Redd

nexro

Enlightened
I just did a search on EMT scissors and came up with:
Link

I think I'm gonna need one of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SciPug

Newly Enlightened
They used to drive me nuts. If I didn't cut myself with the knife I was using to try and open it, I'd stab my hand with the shards of plastic that came off.

Then one day I bought the Leatherman Charge XTi, the BEST multy tool I've ever seen. It has a seatbelt cutter blade that is hooked back on itself. So far it's opened all the nasty plastic clamshels I could throw at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what upsets me is we are paying the price for some peaice a garbage thief thats why they package it that way .it realy makes me mad when i pay for someone else mistakes and vices