Best light for car?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
You can have a small light on your keychain, maybe the Arc AAA for times when you need a little bit of light, reading, looking for the right key, finding the keyhole, etc. The .5 watt 1AA light from advancedmart.com is also very good but might be too bog for a keychain, but good to keep in the car.

And you can have a high power lithium light in your glove compartment for emergenices. Something like a 2x CR123A light like the Brinkman Maxfire or the Surefire G2.

I almost forogt...

Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a big @$$ Mag lite in all my vehicles. Long run time, great shelf life with alkaline or lithium batteries, and it can be used as a weapon if need be. Just make sure they're held down somehow, the 2D I had in the back seat of my truck when I wrecked it beaned me in the back of the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That hurts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
You could install some of those clamps offered by Maglite, perhaps screw them down onto the seat's steel frame...unless this is a luxury car, I don't think it would look very pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
You could install some of those clamps offered by Maglite, perhaps screw them down onto the seat's steel frame...unless this is a luxury car, I don't think it would look very pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I made sure all my mag lites were clamped down after that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try an Eternalight. Good for the keys and, in an emergency, put it in the window on flasher to attract attention.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Streamlight twintask 2L in the glove compartment. Leds for low light and long run time and a decent incandescent for throw and brightness. The light is inexpensive (20 bucks on sale) and the lithium 123's have a long shelf life. And the light looks nice too.

I also keep a Dorcy 1AAA led in the console recess and a 3D mag in the trunk for reasons mentioned above.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigerlight in the glove and a Inova 24/7 in the trunk, Arc AAA LE on the keychain.

I find those three has me covered, The Inova 24/7 is attached to the head band in case I get a flat or have car trouble at night and need my hands. Arc AAA to read stuff. The Tigerlight is for what the heck happened need insane amounts of light.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't keep little light in glove compartment. I use my wolfeye M90 Xenon light to read map. The key chain light just doesn't produce enough light to my satisfaction.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi George & Welcome

You asked about the best light (singular) for your car, but this being CPF notice most posts will suggest lights (plural). Me too.

Always on my keychain: Photon Freedom Micro.
Always in my pocket: Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra.

Under the backseat of my Jeep a 3D Mag with 3W LED conversion-good outut and runtime and the mentioned size and weight.

Only one? I second Stingray. In the console I keep a Streamlight Twin-Task 2L. Very good and versatile all around light and not so expensive you'll worry about leaving it in the car. I keep it in a Ripoffs clip-on holster so it can be carried away from car easily if needed.

Mark

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
For map reading, both in the car and out in the woods, and for all other low light situations, i prefer the Inova X5 with <font color="red"> RED </font> leds.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I have a 5D mag with tri-luxIII's using nflex - gives a fantastic low light setting and 7 or 8 steps up to unbelievably bright - kinda covers a map reading light, long distance light and whacking stick all in one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a new luxury car - thanks to work - and cannot bring myself to drill holes in it for mounting brackets... I CAN however use cable-ties to hold a mag mount in place if someone can help me out finding somewhere to but them from?

It rolls around and makes a heck of a racket slamming into the chair mounts right now so I think a holder of some kind would be a good idea.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaveT

Enlightened
I used to have as Streamlight Twintask 2L, and a Minimag in the glovebox.
Now, I have a Nuwai TM-115X under the driver's seat (3-watt, 2xCR123, two-stage light). It's pretty much a clone of the Streamlight Tasklight, but goes from off to low to high to off, which I prefer, and it's cheaper.
In the glovebox, I have an Eternalight Ergomarine (thanks Matrixshaman) and a Nuwai TM-317X (1-AA, .5-watt, hi-lo), which is good for map reading on low.
And finally, an Infinity Ultra with a Jakstrap headstrap in teh first aid kit.

segan

Newly Enlightened
I also have a big @$$ Maglite in my car, more for the "use as a club" aspect rather than for actual illumination.

For map reading / finding stuff i just use whatever i'm EDC'ing at the time which is normally a HDS U60 or the ARC AAA on my keyring.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila Power,

You can get those mag mounts at most of the stores that sell Mag Lites...like Walmart, Target, camping stores etc. link

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiger74 within reach, JilDD clipped on keychain with Photon Freedom Micra and one of those Zinc Air lights. EliteMax, SL 4AA Luxeon and 12-LED with baseball cap clip in the trunk area.

chrisse242

Enlightened
One more vote for streamlight twintask 2l or it's cheaper brother, the nuwai AL 606. It's the only light I have in my car, it rarely gets any use but it's there when needed.

Chrisse