Everyone who rides a subway needs to EDC a light

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Saw a story on the Today Show this morning where they simulated a disaster on a subway by suddenly stopping the train and killing all of the power, plunging the train into complete darkness. As a part of this simulation they offered some valuable tips through the eyes of a reporter and the transportation guy accompanying her. It was a well-done story and included several night-vision shots of them standing in pitch darkness inside the tunnel, trying to find their way out.

Two main points that came out of the story -

1) When you exit a car in a darkened tunnel and you don't know which way is out, see if you can sense which way the wind is blowing from and walk towards the direction of the wind to find an exit.

2) It may be impossible to see ANYTHING under these circumstances so take slow, small, measured steps as you walk.

The reporter kept remarking on how disorienting it was to be in pitch darkness. That's when it struck me that EVERYONE who rides on an underground subway should EDC a small light, even a keychain LED light. A keychain light probably costs less than one day's fare on the transit and can save your life, and maybe even the lives of others in an emergency.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Re: Everyone who rides a subway needs to EDC a lig

My wife, who rides the Long Island Railway and subway in Manhattan daily talked about this recently after the attacks in London. After the blackout of a few years ago I got her a AAA minimag to carry but she stopped because it was too heavy she said. A month or so ago when I ordered a Photon Freedom white for myself I got one for her too. So she has that, which in total darkness would help a lot. Im thinking of getting her something else, possibly a QIII which I think she might carry now.

NYCblue

Newly Enlightened

I too ride the subway and I think it is absolutely imperative to edc a light. Anything for people would be better than nothing. I edc an arc-aa and usually when i go on the nyc subway I like to have with me my e2e or e2d.

I am not an expert on light/smoke dynamics but I would definitely feel more comfortable with a more powerful light to see through thick smoke. I don't know if a smaller led could really provide you with ample illumination to navigate in a dark smoky subway tunnel. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I wouldn't know how to mimic those conditions but I'm sure our CPF experts could chime in on how light travels through thick smoke. I mean firefighters carry large portable lumen heavy lanterns when dealing with a fire and the plethora of smoke that comes with it.

I'd think it would be good to edc a heavier lumen light, e2e
g2, hds edc, surefire a2, etc. something with at least 30 lumens like a q3. I'd feel more comfortable though with a more powerful light for that situation.

I'd like to hear what other CPf'ers think about light and its ability to permeate dense, heavy smoke.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone who rides a subway needs to EDC a light-

OR

Flies in an airplane, goes up in a tall building, goes into a large mall, drives their car through a tunnel or any number of other places where you could find yourself and others in the dark and in danger.

I think the Photon Freedom is a great choice for non flashlight people (strange as they are). It is bright enough and runs long enough to get out of most situations that a light will help.

It can be carried easily in a number of ways and is not intrusive. I always have one on my keychain along with my one or two other EDC lights.

Mark

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Exactly, Mark.

I would love to see those $1.00 photon knockoff lights packaged in blister packs and sold alongside the Hershey bars in vending machines at subway entrances, airports and hotels.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
That's what prompted my thread about a cell phone edc (see Arc AAA Cell Phone Thread). Everyone carries a cell phone. If you could direction the LED or bulb, it would be perfect.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been hounding people here in Japan for years. Most just nod and blithely go their way. Although after reading in another thread about people w/o light trying to rip a light out of one guy's hand in a painic I'm not sure how I'd end up using mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I did have a bit of success with some realtors of all people. I was with a friend looking for a new place and in all of them the breakers were off so I pulled out one of my lights to get it on and the realtors were amazed. They started asking all sorts of questions including why I happened to have a light. Two of them want lights for their bags so I'll probably go back by and give them a couple of coin cell lights to get them started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-LT

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, sadly too many people don't see the value of an EDC light until they suddenly need one BADLY. I've been EDC'ing the Photon keychain lights since they've existed and I've made a few converts of fellow I.T. people who frequently find themselves in dark equipment closets tryiung to read a serial number on the back of a device where the lettering is 1/16" high. I've also converted at least one musician/roadie who saw me using one to read a panel in a dark equipment room. But trying to convince the average person of the usefulness of a small, rugged EDC light has been an uphill battle. Except for those moments when the power goes out and everyone finds themselves suddenly plunged into darkness.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened

This reminded me of my pre-CPF days when i came back home (high rise apartment) late when all the lights were out. I used my cell phone LEDs to light the way. Thinking back why didnt i EDC a small light? Lazy perhaps. But i found the light now. (pun intended). So yes, EDC-ing a light in such cases or if you are in a place where there's no sun and use artificial mains powered light commonly, you NEED to EDC a light at the very minimum. What light may be debateable but at least do carry one. (Spread this to your friends / loved ones)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

And keep in mind that even if you only EDC a small keychain light, it could help you locate a larger one when the power goes out!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
And keep in mind that even if you only EDC a small keychain light, it could help you locate a larger one when the power goes out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I have a Freedom Micro or two with me at all times. With me being in my pocket. But nearby, in my backpack, I currently have a Streamlight Jr. Luxon, Eternalight 4x Elite, Inova X5T and Surefire E2E. The Micro will let me find the other lights if needed.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have lights positioned all over the place here. In the event of a power outage I don't have to go half way across the house for light. I recommend battery powered lanterns in the big areas and cheap flashlights at choke points such as doors in/out so you can grab them and take them with you and even throw away if needed.

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
Manifesto on EDCing a Flashlight

Given that we (humans) need to be able to see to get around, and that we are blind (due to the lack of sufficient natural light) about half the time (at night), and that the subways, buildings, and houses within which we spend much of our time are essentially caves which let in a limited amount of natural light even when it's available, we can often only see at all because of the presence of artificial lighting, and given that our sources of artificial lighting all come from basically one main power source, which we know is less than 100% reliable, with the possibility of failure anywhere along the line from the power station through the wires and transfer stations all the way to the eventual inevitability of every light bulb burning out, every person should want to carry a portable artificial light with them at all times.

Given the size, weight, cost, effectiveness, and reliability of traditional artificial lights (Mags & grocery/hardware store selections), along with the frequency of their necessity, we see relatively few people actually carrying an artificial light EDC.

Given the size, weight, cost, effectiveness, reliability, and variety of currently available artificial lights, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to go anywhere without at least a coin cell light on their keychain, and since there is basically a light available for every standard set of requirements, anyone could find a larger light to carry as well, if they cared to.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NYCblue said:
I too ride the subway and I think it is absolutely imperative to edc a light. Anything for people would be better than nothing. I edc an arc-aa and usually when i go on the nyc subway I like to have with me my e2e or e2d.

I am not an expert on light/smoke dynamics but I would definitely feel more comfortable with a more powerful light to see through thick smoke. I don't know if a smaller led could really provide you with ample illumination to navigate in a dark smoky subway tunnel. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I wouldn't know how to mimic those conditions but I'm sure our CPF experts could chime in on how light travels through thick smoke. I mean firefighters carry large portable lumen heavy lanterns when dealing with a fire and the plethora of smoke that comes with it.

I'd think it would be good to edc a heavier lumen light, e2e
g2, hds edc, surefire a2, etc. something with at least 30 lumens like a q3. I'd feel more comfortable though with a more powerful light for that situation.

I'd like to hear what other CPf'ers think about light and its ability to permeate dense, heavy smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a firefighter, but a HazMat ERT Member so I can only judge from limited experience in smoke. In a recent drill (wearing an airpack) searching a room with very dense smoke, so thick that you could barely see your hand touching the facepiece a 3D cell Maglight was worthless, an E2e was only fair. The is so much reflection by the smoke particles. In our last drill with SCBA, my E2e was only good for things a foot away, at one point (wearing SCBA) I just closed my eyes and completed the exercise by feel as it was less disorienting. In less dense smoke who knows.

Having said all that, remember it's smoke often kills before flames. Your ability to even function in nasty acrid smoke is not good. For all intents a Photon Freedom may be just enough to get you by, if smoke is so dense you need more...well you may be toast anyway.

Personally I carry 500ml water, a hankie, a pocket knife, a powerbar, coins, cellphone. Dampen your hankie or T-shirt and breathe through that. It won't do a damm thing for toxic components of smoke, fumes or an oxygen defficient atmosphere, but it will keep some dust, soot and particulate crap out of your lungs which can trigger a really bad cough reflex.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

Double-A, thanks for that info and interesting perspective. Those seem like really useful points. I was wondering though, are there some colors or types of light that are better in smoke than others? Thanks.

firefly99

Enlightened

In a dark subway tunnel, which light colour would be more comfortable to use, white or red ?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
GadgetTravel said:
Double-A, thanks for that info and interesting perspective. Those seem like really useful points. I was wondering though, are there some colors or types of light that are better in smoke than others? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the big issue with an LED light. In smoke, mist, fog, etc an incandescent is your best choice.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its kinda like insureance, if you spend that extra buck, you could save alot of trouble.

-David

matthewdanger

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
Its kinda like insureance, if you spend that extra buck, you could save alot of trouble.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I tell my non-flashoholic friends when I recommend the Photon II. "Think of it as cheap insurance."