What does 19500 lumens of light look like?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd post a photo of the Luxeons that would put out nearly 20000 lumens of light if they are all powered on at the same time.

LEDmodule3+Arc.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
What in the world is all of that? some weird tri-holder? Mount the sucker on a sheet of aluminum and power them up!!! Sure to scare the neighbors!!!

EDIT: ah, I bet they are the MR16 or whatever track style lights... hotbeam, cool light.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'll have that beat soon. I'm getting 660 pieces of the Lamina BL-2000 white for the first production run of the taxi light project. At 108 lumens each typical, that's 71280 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll light as many finished units as my power supplies can handle, and maybe post a picture. You'll just need to wait until September or thereabouts as that's when they'll be ready.

BTW, the 77 ft² work area where I'll be assembling these has 14,000 lumens of fluorescent lighting. All those Luxeons lit simultaneously would probably be a tad brighter. I personally think ~10,000 or so lumens is a good amount of light for an average size room. Not overly bright, but not too dim, either.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Kaks! I need a power supply or should I say... power SUPPLIES big enough!

Isaac, they are going into a custom pendant light... some 250 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtr, OK OK, you may win this round when you get those BL suckers! I'll have to work at breaking that... after you post some photos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That sounds like a nice project you're working on.

Grox/Nemul, yeah, there are a few leds there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, I said I would post a pic of my Laminas in this thread and here it is:

Lamina_2.JPG

That's 660 pieces, 71,280 rated lumens, and over $7,000 worth of LEDs.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
Well, I said I would post a pic of my Laminas in this thread and here it is:

Lamina_2.JPG

That's 660 pieces, 71,280 rated lumens, and over $7,000 worth of LEDs.

659 but who would count something like this?

(Actually it would be easy to guesstamate since there are five of the "boxes")

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
kushy04 said:
1.6 million? holy jesus... what would you DO with that...

Heat the room with the 18KW of power it consumes?

Seriously, it's for photo, video, film and theatrical illumination. Would probably make a very good searchlight, too.

kushy04

Newly Enlightened
is there any way you could harvest all the lumens/energy from that thing and concentrate it into a beam... like a laser?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr, ...you got it bad, ...test results please...
I wish I had a AC supply that could lay out a constant 70 amps.
Till then, I'll just have to use my Mega deep cycle Minn Kota batt.

heavy thing

kennyj

Enlightened
You could focus it to a point with a reflector and collimating lens, but it wouldn't be good for anything useful beyond signalling at a distance or use as a severely overpowered searchlight.

Lasers are powered by entirely different principles alltogether.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
koala said:
I smell something brewing... tell us what you have in the works!!!
First 110 production units for my taxi sign light (6 BL2000s per unit). I already assembled the circuit boards. I'm waiting for the heat sinks to arrive so I can power these up and then I'll post a nice picture. I'll try to get at least 15 units lit at the same time, maybe more if I can find a few old PC power supplies lying around.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I assembled the first 25 production units. Not enough power supplies to light all 25, but I did manage to light 14. 6 BL2000s per unit, slightly overdriven to give maybe 120 lumens each. That's about 720 lumens per unit, or ~10,000 lumens total. Here's what 10,000 lumens of LED light (84 BL2000s, 3528 individual LED dies) looks like:

Lamina_3.JPG

I took lux readings at the same level as my shoplights to get a rough idea of how much light would be put on my workbench if the LED lighting units were where the shoplights are. I was getting roughly 1200 or 1300 lux. The flourescent lights given around 1400 to 1500 so they still win. And all those LEDs were consuming around 500 watts so they certainly don't win any points for efficiency.