Do they sell DIY kit for making LED torchlight?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: Do they sell DIY kit for making LED torchlight

modamag sells everyhting you need. If you have paypal you can buy one from him. Or contact memebr Icarus, maybe he lives close by and could sell you one.
Modamag Kits

A kit for a Tri-lux (3 LED's) goes for $75, the QUAD (4 LED's) is $95. You just have to provide the mag and any electronics you may use. It is a little difficult to make one of these if you no experience in flashlight modding, but the Build Tutorial should help you a lot. Make sure you buy all your parts, read the instrucitons and go to the Homade and Modified forum and ask any questioins you might have.

Homemade & Modified Lights Forum

EDIT: If you want to make it dimmable you need to get a fatman board and a potentiometer from George at taskled:

TaskLED

Even if you don't want to make it dimmable it is best to use a fatman baord to regulate the current going to the LED's.

Or for a little easier route you can use a large flashlight: 3D, 4D/4C, etc. and just wire the LED's with resistors.

sebastian

Newly Enlightened

wow...that is very hard...I will have to consider it properly or try to find someone who has the experience...thanks man!!

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

No problem. If you want an easier mod you can do a single Luxeon LED. A good guide:

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/sn2build.htm

or

http://kevin.htgk.org/oad4cookbook2.php

They aren't very difficult at all if you have the right tools. Or you can always have one made for you. Member 3rd_Shift sells them for about $80.

By the way, I hope you get that gift for being the 10,000th member. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

there are also great modders on this forum that will build a light for you, for a certain price. Search for the "Modder's Yellow Pages". I believe it's somewhere in the Custom and MOdified section, or something like that.

sebastian

Newly Enlightened

oh! you know that I'm the 10,000th member?? But the problem is how are they going to ship it to me. Do you know the specification of the gift that they are intending to give me?

Anyway, I think I will take your advice and make a single Luxeon as a starter...then move on to the one that you have done. It is going to be a very expensive hobby for me then since most of the parts are so expensive

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

Items can be mailed anywhere. There are a lot of CPF members in Singapore, Australia, Canada, and Asia. None of them are left out. The mail can go anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sebastian

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
there are also great modders on this forum that will build a light for you, for a certain price. Search for the "Modder's Yellow Pages".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very impressed by the makers in this forum but the problem is that the currecny coversion rate and the shipping cost will kill me. Eg. US$130 = S$200 (without shipping cost) I'm just a student and S$200 is almost my entire month's pocket money. So I was wondering, maybe I can learn to be a modeller too.

sebastian

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Items can be mailed anywhere. There are a lot of CPF members in Singapore, Australia, Canada, and Asia. None of them are left out. The mail can go anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made my day!!!

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
sebastian said:
I can learn to be a modeller too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you want to be a model you're in the wrong message board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding.

By the way, the light you were offered is a small keychain sized light. It's not super bright, but it's bright enough for very dark places and good as a last resort emergency light. It's a great light to carry around with you everyday.