So that's why everyone likes these...

matthewdanger

Enlightened
So that\'s why everyone likes these...

I just picked up a couple of Dorcy 1AAA LED lights from Wal-mart. I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about. I figured that at 6 bucks each, I'm not out much if they were as lousy as they looked.

I am pleasantly surprised! These little guys have great output. That little reflector really works. No wonder everyone likes them so much.

So it looks like I am keeping one and giving the other to my fiance. She needs a decent light.

I never would have given these lights a chance if it wasn't for CPF. Thanks everyone.

Matt

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: So that\'s why everyone likes these...

If you push the reflector/lens assembly out from the back, it makes one of the best little task/flood lights for the money as well!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

put one of the u bin 5mm nichia led's(grumpy grup buy)in your dorcy.
the u bin led will double your dorcy's output.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:So it looks like I am keeping one and giving the other to my fiance. She needs a decent light.

[/ QUOTE ]
A little cheap for the lady, me thinks!

matthewdanger

Enlightened

Let me clarify. She needs a decent LITTLE light for her purse. I also have a Longbow Micra wrapped up and ready for her. She loves my Micras.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very easy.

Unscrew and remove the head (might be a little tight); remove the LED/ board assembly; remove the little washer/retainer from the LED; unsolder the two leads from the LED (one on each side of the board), cut the leads to the new LED the same length and solder the two new leads to each side making sure that you've got the right lead on the proper side and take reasonable care to solder it on straight.

Put it all back together and you're done. 2-3 times brighter than the stock LED.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

I have no soldering equiptment and I have never a soldered anthing in my life. I have however sweat miles and miles of pipe. How different could it be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

ditto to what greenlight said. i think she needs this AND an arc AAA or Peak led's light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as always, get her both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened

Baby steps Shiftd, baby steps. I have her convincecd that she needs he own gun. Flashlights are next.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:
I have no soldering equiptment and I have never a soldered anthing in my life. I have however sweat miles and miles of pipe. How different could it be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hard. Just remember however, not to use the equipment for one of the above tasks, for the other task /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm quoting another of my posts, but someone else asked about replacing the LEDs earlier, and - although I'm not expert - I hope this helps:

Dorcy mod is simplicity itself. Several threads cover this and similar mods but basically you'll need a small soldering iron, some of the thinnest (like 1/16" inch or whatever) rosin core solder, and good eyes or strong reading glasses. Then:

1. You have to unscrew the head. Depending on how much glue was used this was as simple as putting on rubber gloves (I used surgical type) and unscrewing it hard. A few will require that you wrap friction tape around the body and head - going in opposite direction so unscrewing tightens the tape - and unscrew. One required a gentle use of 2 pairs of pliers over the tape, but all came apart.

2. With the head off, the PCB with the LED pulls right out. It has a metal piece over the front over the LED (has a hole for the LED)and which just slips off.

3. Take the cover off, unsolder the LED, noting which side is positive and negative.

4. Clip the leads to your LED to maybe 4-5mm (you'll see - eyeball it) and - here's the wonderful part - put it onto the board and place the metal "cover" over the board. The LED goes through a hole in the metal cover and the cover thus aligns the LED perfectly, making soldering a cinch. No need for 3rd hands or alignment jigs. A touch of the iron here and there, and you're done.

5. I was worried about burning out the LED with soldering iron heat, but even when I took my time, the LED worked perfectly. Replace and enjoy.

That's all, and believe me I am next to all thumbs when it comes to fine work and I got so I could do one in just a few minutes.

You will not be sorry. The Dorcy 1AAA is a tough, regulated enough, reflectorized, $6, high power (some would say too high - ) host for whatever 5mm LED you desire. A little plastic tubing slipped over the tail cover and (maybe 1/4" of the) rear body means that the tail will firmly hold whatever screw position you set, making for reliability (no accidental turn on) and good push button action.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a Modder it's a good deal at one and a half times the price. You have to admit, it's an excellent host and beefed up 1AAA's make terrific gifts to un-flashaholics who wonder why you bother to carry a small EDC.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

L have a slight hanicap in my hands, is not a handy person and cannot solder. I was able to make a skinny Dorcy AAA (have not done the reflector bit yet - probably will not attempt the LED mod myself).
I was helped a lot by numerous threads on CPF. Robocop has some with pictures:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=886445&Forum=,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=6&Limit=25&Main=886445&Search=true&where=&Name=5529&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post886445

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=993476&Forum=,,,All_Forums,,,&Words=&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Main=993476&Search=true&where=&Name=5529&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post993476

[Edit]
Here is a thread about the MJLED. Pics a few posts down:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=917898&Forum=f14&Words=%2Bdorcy%20%2BAAA%20%2BMJLED&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=917898&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post917898

matthewdanger

Enlightened

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will pick up a soldering iron late next week and give this a try.