5 Watts...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok!
I've got an XM-3,Blaster 3P, Angulux and a BugOut 3W drop in on order! But there's something about making the leap to a 5W unit. Anyone one already there?

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
er, i'm confused. are you asking if anyone has a 5 watt led? I have a surefire L4, which uses a lux V.

But i know the feeling. I was reluctant to go to luxeons from 5mm leds, but when i did, i was really impressed and happy.

I got a nuwai qIII first, longbow eco 2nd, Orb 3rd, and surefire l4 4th. the L4 was great, it had a lot of flood light, which for me happens to be the most useful type of light.

I really like the L4, and i'm very happy with the price i got it for. I didnt really take a leap of going to a 5 watt led, but it was a leap into surefire, i never had one before, and that was what i was thinking about, so i wasnt really excited about the 5 watt led. I would be if i wasnt taking the surefire leap- i remember looking at the lights saying.... gee, those are really expensive, if i get rich or something.

Well, i guess brillance makes people rich, because i dont really think of the purchase as being "that much" money anymore. The whole price perception ratio totally decreased.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I've had a 5 watter for almost 2 years and it's the light I use most. I love it. Some people seem to knock 'em a bit because of their "ineffeciency", but batteries are cheap, and it'll probably remain my favorite, at least, until something brighter and more floody comes out. Can't wait to see the K2's in action!

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes fellas, I was wondering if anyones was buying these 5W units. Keep telling myself that 3W is more than enough. But you remember what Tim Allen use to say...more power. Now that my truck is paid off, there's a SUREFIRE unit that makes my mouth water. But I'm sure there are other players out there other than SF.

chiphead

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was into 5W Luxeon lights, until the 3W Luxeon hit the scene, I prefer the 3W as it reguires less voltage, has a longer life and can be focused down to a tight spot if needed

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chiphead,
If you want a nice 5 watt light for ~$60.00, take a look at the Nuwai TM301X-5 at www.eliteled.com, good prices & excellent customer service. I'm a very satisfied customer. If you want a review of the light, go to: http://www.ledmuseum.org/ & look up OMBU X-55 (the same light just sold under a different brand name)

X33

Enlightened
I made the leap to Surefire and 5watt LEDs with a L4 a few month ago and never looked back. I find the flood beam of the 5 watt LEDs just so much more useful compared to a focused 3 Watt. Sad to say that some of my nice LUX3 lights don't get as much use as they used to.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I have the SureFire L4 and the Nuwai ALX-352! The L4 is impressive when you turn the little puppy on in a dark room.....lights up the ENTIRE room. The ALX-352 has three power levels, 100%, 50%, and 25%!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I really like my Surefire L5. It is my first and only 5 watt. I, like you, have a lot of 3 watt LEDs.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one I've found at AdvancedMart that takes 4 C cells that looks interesting.

chiphead

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't say you wanted a large full size light. Most 5 watt lights are the small 2 or 3 cr123 size. That 4C is the Nuwai ALX-654C, & might be the only full size 5 watt production model around.

mateen

Enlightened
I too was wondering which Luxeon was preferred by someone not into efficiency, lumen count, etc....just a flashlight "newbie" going by what they saw.

So I hung out with my brothers this weekend and took three lights with me: a LuxIII modded Maglite, a LuxV Mag, and a Tri-LuxIII Mag. Trying to keep the interface the same to see which beam characteristic they liked the most. We used the lights for poking around the garden and back yard (3 acres) spotting horses, navigating a ropes course, directing traffic, spotting the electric fence behind while moving trailers, messing with the neighbors, setting up some outside furniture, and lighting up the crawlspace under the house to replace some plumbing. Far and away the favorite was the LuxV. They liked the larger size hotspot over the LuxIII while still having greater throw than the Tri-LuxIII. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I found the real-world test results interesting...now I'm back to the workbench to build a couple more LuxV lights.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was into 3watters until I dropped a WXOT star in to a 3-w module, and driving it with two pila 150's it's just slaughters any 3 watt lights I have for practical usage. In fact I prefer the 5 watter to any 6-v incandescent I have. THe wide beam makes it soooo easy to use. True, you can focus the 3w to throw further, but nothing lights up everything in front of you like a LuxV light driven by ~3 cells. I have my incandecents for spotting, and I don't intend to rely on my LED's for spotting just yet...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
john2551 said:
You didn't say you wanted a large full size light. Most 5 watt lights are the small 2 or 3 cr123 size. That 4C is the Nuwai ALX-654C, & might be the only full size 5 watt production model around.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are custom magmods by some cpf'ers including me, as big as 6D sized.
I sometimes take that one to work just because it runs bright and runs and runs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'm now working on a 3X 5 watt with 3 Q3 mop reflectors in it in a mag 5D host with 3 VWOS emitters on ground down 1982 copper penny heatspreaders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
I'm now working on a 3X 5 watt with 3 Q3 mop reflectors in it in a mag 5D host with 3 VWOS emitters on ground down 1982 copper penny heatspreaders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds awesome! Eversince I used my QIII reflector on my LuxV I was surprised at the beam. It's the same size as the 20mm and gives a kick butt beam with a LuxV.

BTW: I highly reccomend Stephen's Mag Mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif