SL20XP Mods

9P12volt

Newly Enlightened
I currently use a freebie Streamlight SL20XP (no LED model) as a general use rechargeable, in order to save my tactical light for well... tactical stuff.

The model is a very light-weight polymer stick about the size of a 4D Mag. The krypton bulb and plastic reflector are one-piece. The voltage is supplied by a 6 volt NiCd stick.

Can any of you provide me with info on how to upgrade the mediocre yellow light output (factory rated at 25,000cp)? Are there any drop-in parts available?

Thanks all.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a SL-35X bulb.

BUT upgrade the battery stick to a 3000MAH (or larger capacity) NIMH battery.

-dan

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warning: using the 20W (vs 8W stock) SL-35X Lamp Assembly {may} cause melting to the plastic head of the light. Caveat emptor. This mod is flawless if using the SL-20X aluminum version. No one has really tested this in the polymer version as far as I can tell, and it would really be a great test to see. I asked Streamlight about it, and they didn't know either but supplied the above warning to me. They endorse and recommend it for the Aluminum version.

If you're willing to try it, please let us know what happens on burns of longer than 20mins! If successful, I might pick one up myself.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done this with mine. I did upgrade to a 2400mAh Nicad, and the guy building it told me the stock charger would not be hot enough to ramp up the NiMh. I have since found out otherwise here on this forum, and will probably get a 3300 NiMh built for it. I rarely do more than 10 min. burns, but at that have never had anything melt. I did recently change to a glass lens, but only because of scratches to the plastic. I would I only worry about melting the stock lens as I don't think the polimer body would be deformed under a constant burn. JMHO.
The brightness difference you are going to notice is going to show up as more of a flood verses a spot. I have noticed no real difference in the length of throw, but it is more intense, and I love it. Of course I am always looking for ways to push it even further.