Maximizing a Maglite Magcharger...

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
What mods can I do to my Maglite Magcharger to get some serious output from it ( bulbs, reflectors, etc.) ???

Thanks in advance,

AC

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest mod is the addition of a Welch Allyn 1160 bulb, which effectively doubles the output. It shortens runtime, but thats the tradeoff.

Then you can scrap the standard pack, add NiMH cells, and run the 1160 for essentially the same amount of time as a the stock bulb/pack combo.

Or you can add a FiveMega adaptor, run 9 high current AA's (the stock charger can be modded to charge this pack) and run a WelchAllyn 1185. This raises the bulb lumens to around 1200 versus the stock 200 or so.

The stock reflector is fine with these mods, but if you want to smooth it out, a custom cut Carley orange peel reflector can be had.

That should get you started!!

Bill

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
I got the fivemega 9aa to 3d holder already ( for my Electolumens Tesla-6 ) and just ordered some WA 1185's.
This is going to kick some serious flashlight booty !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

oklalawman

Enlightened
You might also look at fivemegas reflector assembly. It has light orange peel and a lot more surface area to absorb heat.

Timson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Where can I get a 3.5 amp 6v rechargable battery stick at ???

[/ QUOTE ]
Try this link Here.
Looks like a potential group buy if there's enough interest.
Starting to get pricey when you factor in postage though.

Tim

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Uh! AC DOctor, I tink u need to see the doctor, bcus u got the lite bug hard !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Theres also the Lux3 Lites u need to watchout for.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Welcome to the world of brite lites!!!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
mgch.jpg

Wilkey,
I think old version is 8.4W
Mine is only 5 years old.
BTW, is this same bulb?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow,

Varooj, that doesn't look like my stock bulbs at all. I have all my stock from about 1.5 years ago. In the literature from that model, it said 8.4W. Sounds like Maglite has upgraded their lamp?

Wilkey

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,
I scanned it from original M*g Charger hand book which is about 5 years old. Also it says: 1 Hour Rate = 2.2 Ampere Hour
I guess they use lower wattage bulb on new models. Another word, M*glite has Downgraded their lamp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vbeez

Enlightened
Ginseng,
I have a M*g charge reflector. Thinking of using it on my modded 2D M*g with 35 watt bulb (still looking for power source). Will the reflector & plastic bracket last ?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want to wait for the GB here's the source.
I made two pack's of these and very good with a 1185. throw's father then I can see so i don't feel much like going past this bulb/aero pack. BTW you want the Industrial Fast Charge/Discharge Ni-MH ones. VDG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vbeez,

The MC reflector does not fit in a Mag head. It might with a lot of work, but certainly not drop-in. I don't know of anyone who's done it except bwaites and he removed the metal dish and laid it inside the plastic Mag reflector, IIRC.

Wilkey

pcmike

Enlightened
Does anyone have any photos of a fully modded Magcharger using the WelchAllyn 1185 bulb and Carley reflector? I'm also curious to see some various beamshot pictures (at distances greater than 1M). Also worth finding out is the runtime with the above setup using the 9AA carrier. If the above has already been documented in some threads elsewhere, please point me to them as I've been searching for what seems like days to no avail! Thanks so much!

Vbeez

Enlightened
Ginseng,
As expected it will be a lot of work here and there.
Don't think will last long if I lay it inside Mag reflector. How to remove the MC reflector from the bracket (cam) ? Boiled water will do ?