Outlook question

Malpaso

Enlightened
One of the guys at work has Outlook Express on his laptop, and uses Hotmail. All of a sudden, Hotmail won't work with Outlook Express (per Hotmail). So, we loaded full Outlook, but it's looking for POP settings. I'm guessing you don't use POP setting with Hotmail since it's internet based, but I can't get around leaving that setting blank. Any ideas?

JanCPF

Enlightened
Outlook Express relies on the POP3 or IMAP protocol to retreive the contents of a remote mailbox, so you need to find out which server name (or IP address) Hotmail wants you to use. It must be on their site.

EDIT: After searching a bit, I don't think Hotmail allows POP3 anymore, but I may be wrong.

EDIT 2: This might do the trick for you. Also find interesting information there.

Jan

Malpaso

Enlightened
It appears from what I can find that neither Express nor full Outlook are compatible with Hotmail. Looks like he needs to set up an email account through his ISP, which should be free anyway.

greenLED

Flashaholic
AFAIK, you need to pay for an e-mail subscription with them to be able to check e-mail with Outlook. Same thing with Yahoo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Tell your friend to switch over to Gmail! Much better than Hotmail (which IMO is the worst free e-mail service ever created -well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea). If you PM me their e-mail (and yours) I'll send you guys invites right away. Gmail does allow POP checking for free, not to mention the nearly 2.5 GB of storage...

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Malpaso said:
It appears from what I can find that neither Express nor full Outlook are compatible with Hotmail. Looks like he needs to set up an email account through his ISP, which should be free anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
I still have OE configured for my Hotmail account.
I have OE Ver6 on my XP machine.

Hotmail_cfg.JPG

the Server URL is http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp which is autofilled by OE when setting it up.

New Hotmail accounts aren't enabled.
Older, established accounts are still enabled. So, if you had it before, you should still be able to use OE.
I like being able to access my messages and folders through OE rather than through the web.

At one point, I did have Outlook configured for Hotmail, but preferred to just have OE handle it, and use Outlook for my Exchange account at work. Easier to keep them separate.

Hope this helps.
Danno.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You can keep separate accounts in Outlook too (I have 3 set up that way). No need to use Outlook for one and OE for another.

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
You can keep separate accounts in Outlook too (I have 3 set up that way). No need to use Outlook for one and OE for another.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I have lots of folders in my Outlook for Work. [Personal and on the Exchange Server] I have to archive alot of correspondences for standard CYA. [Cover your... well, you know.]
Then I have other accts that I access via OE.

accts.JPG

At one point, I even had NNTP set up for my OE, but that was cumbersome to keep up.

greenLED

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif that looks like my Outlook! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif