Streamlight Scorpion vs Inova T1 vs ASP Triad

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting a small, powerful flashlight in the $40 - $60 range, and I want to try a non-Surefire product (most of my current flashlights are Surefires).

I was thinking of the:

-- Streamlight Scorpion

-- Inova T1

-- ASP Triad

Any opinions on which one to purchase?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Strion for $76.00 from Texas Tactical Supply. You'll make up the price difference in batteries. Super bright, great throw and it's rechargeable!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Scorpion, you can always get more lumens by using a TL-3 bulb and a pair of rechargeable RCR123A cells. Its glass lens can take the heat. It's nice to have that option.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_in_Maryland said:
On the Scorpion, you can always get more lumens by using a TL-3 bulb and a pair of rechargeable RCR123A cells. Its glass lens can take the heat. It's nice to have that option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this same exact setup in my Scorpion and it is a big improvement over the stock Scorpion complete with better throw and is noticably brighter.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do as Dukester and I suggest, be sure to change the spare bulb to a TL-3, too!

Anyone: Will the TL-3 head fit the TL-2 or Scorpion? That would provide the full benefit of the TL-3's wide, deep head, on 2 cells.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure the Scorpion has a lexan lens. The Streamlight TL-2 has a glass lens.

I am not sure about the TL-3 head on the TL-2, could make it a straw in an orange as another CPF'er said. Can always call Streamlight about it.

pcmike

Enlightened
Can anyone approximate the runtime on the TL3 bulb? I just bought a Scorpion (my first 'exotic' light, aside from a Maglite) and I'm impressed. However, I think I'll be buying some TL3 bulbs just to see the difference, but I'm really worried about runtime. 1hr is fine, but with higher output comes less runtime and I don't want to be caught w/o any batteries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pcmike

Enlightened
Another question, what about using the TL3 bulbs with regular 3V lithium cells? Will I end up blowing the bulb due to it being UNDERpowered or what? Someone please give me some guidance as I just purchased 2 of the TL3 bulbs, but I'll only be using regular Surefire 3V 123 cells.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
That will cause a problem. You will be trying to power 9V bulb using only 6V. I am assuming things but you'll get little to no output in that set-up, and that will damage a bulb. The bulb is made to run at spec, and if you under power it means the bulb will fail early and if you over power it; it can be flashed.

www.batterystation.com for a 2 X RCR123 and charger will set up the Scorpion nicely. If the Scorpion lens melts form the heat or bubble's, I assume you can send it into Streamlight for repair, or upgrade to a TL-2.

pcmike

Enlightened
Then I just may take the Scorpion back to where I bought it and get a TL-3 as I've got two TL-3 bulbs plus 12 lithium cells arriving anyday now. It'll be the same amount of runtime with more light in just a slightly longer package. Oh well... anyone else have advice/opinions?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
David, since it appears you're a fan of lights with "throw," have you considered the Pelican M6 (incan)? Not adjustable like the Scorpion, but probably has a more rugged lamp, with a real long hot-spot.

BatteryStation has 'em for $39.

pcmike

Enlightened
Man, I'm really torn. I dunno what to do. I like my Scorpion, the size is perfect. But after reading this site and others I want bigger, even though I don't need bigger and bigger means more cost on batteries, etc. The Scorpion is pretty damn bright to me and when outside in the dark it throws for quite a distance, surely plenty far enough for walking in the woods. I'm think I just might email DLS and have them switch my order to two Scorpion bulbs and forget the whole TL3 idea. Then I'll have spare bulbs on hand combined with the Surefire batteries I got and I'll be all set!

This board and other sites are such a bad influence on my wallet. All these choices when all I really need is something like the Scorpion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
pcmike, don't forget the Scorpion has a spare bulb in the light already (one in the socket, and the spare is resting in its hiding place near the + contact.)

So extra bulbs will equal even more extra bulbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hide your wallet, it'll become really light if it stays around here.

pcmike

Enlightened
Yea, I knew about the spare already in the light, but I figured I'd at least not cancel my order, just changed it for cheaper bulbs. The bulbs do have a good shelf life right (2yrs+ I'd hope if they're just sitting around)?

Wrangler

Enlightened
I own a TL3 and like it a lot but would like it still more if I could get the same output in a smaller package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
My question now is, when I buy a TL2 and use TL3-bulb with 2 r123`s in it, is it also possible to use the TL3`s bezel on the TL2?
Thanks for your answers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Wolfgang

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. A single Pila 17650 would exactly fit but would provide only 3.7-4.2V. The only stock lengths that Pila was designed to replace are:

3 cells: Use 2 Pila 17500 cells ("150S") + a 9V (7.xV) bulb
4 cells: Use 2 Pila 17650 cells ("168S") + 1 9V (7.xV) bulb

You also can add various combination of Surefire A19 and A14 spacers/extenders/adapters to a 3- or 4-cell light to use three Pila 150 or 168 cells (11.1+ volts) with a 12V bulb. In fact, 5Mega (FiveMega?) is currently selling a 700+lumen upgrade to the Streamlight Stinger that uses three Pila 168 cells with an A19 extender (and a MUCH brighter bulb).

To use a single Pila cell, you need a 3.7V bulb. Wolf Eyes, Pila, Microfire, and a few other brands have designed their xenon lights to "switch hit" between Pila cells and regular 123A cells. For their 2-cell lights, you must replace the 6V lamp assembly with a 3.7V (or vice versa). For their 3-cell lights, the 9V lamp assembly will work just fine with either 3 123A cells or 2 Pila cells. For their 4-cell lights, a 12V lamp assembly will provide about two-third the light on two Pilas; a 9V lamp is recommended if you'll be using Pilas, but if you use the 9V lamp full-time and want to use 123A cells as a backup, you'd better have a 0V spacer to use as that fourth cell.

A few of the premium (over $100) single-cell LED lights are designed around the Pila.

I looked into Pila cells but I like to carry spares for all my lights and when I realized there were four combos of Pila diameter and length, I knew I wouldn't have the discipline buy lights of just one combination. So I'm standardizing on rechargeable 123A (RCR123A) cells:

1-cell LED lights designed to thrive on 3.7V
2-cell xenon lights fitted with a 3-cell lamp
3-cell xenon lights fitted with a 4-cell lamp

Now if only someone made a 15V lamp assembly for 4-cell lights...