Quick Question -- Surefire E2

DavidTHR

Enlightened
In reference to the discontinued Surefire E2 (NOT the E2e), was the version with the BLACK finish Type III Military Hard Anodized, or just "regular" anodized like the current model Surefire 6P?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never seen an HA III E2, but correct me if I am wrong. I have seen numerous E2's (not E2e's) that were shiny HA II black, like the 6P.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I have a Surefire E2 (NOT the E2e) that is Type III Mil-Spec HA (I purchased it directly from Surefire about 12 to 18 months ago when they were on-sale). The finish on my E2 looks exactly like the current HA III finish on the E2e.

The E2 I saw tonight was from a retired LEO friend. He told me it also had the Type III HA finish as well -- but the color of the E2 was BLACK.

He might simply be mistaken -- I not sure.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glossy black or matte black?

My U2 is HA III in black (matte), as seen below.
176393467_l.jpg

DavidTHR

Enlightened
His E2 had more of a "shiny" black finish.

*** By the way -- what is the "real life" difference in wear between the Type II HA and the Type III HA ? ***

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Type II isn't HA (hard anodizing). It is just Type II. Someone like Size15's can explain in more depth I'm sure.

Luxman

Enlightened
I have both the E1 and E2 in HA III - green, just like the current models. Bought them a few years ago..not sure exactly when.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DavidTHR said:
In reference to the discontinued Surefire E2 (NOT the E2e), was the version with the BLACK finish Type III Military Hard Anodized, or just "regular" anodized like the current model Surefire 6P?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Surefire E2-BK is not HA III. It is the same finish as the 6P-BK, C2-BK and C3-BK.

Darell

Flashaholic
Yup. What gramps said. I don't believe there were black HA E2's released to the wilds. There were a few E1e's and E2e's that were black HA, however.

Like this one right here, before it was modified for an Aleph LE, and a new bezel ring.

E1_e2d_LED_kydex02.jpg

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
matthew danger, you're correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

type II anodizing is the shiny, less tough finish usually found on maglites and some surefires.

type III anodizing is the matte, olive drab (when un-dyed), wear-resistant finish found on all millenium series surefires, also known as HA (hard anodizing).

there is no such thing as HA II. HA is merely another name for type III anodizing. the term HA III is a misnomer.