CMG Reactor dis-assemble??

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A large hammer? Just kidding, there isn't any way that I know of short of breaking the light.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Right.

The steel retaining ring at the bezel does not separate from the bezel. Also, noone has determined if the clamshell halves of the head itself are glued together or if some tab arrangement is used.

It's questionable whether or not it would be possible to reassemble a Reactor in the event of a successfil disassembly.

charliek

Enlightened
I'm really interested in getting the luxeon element out of it to experiment... I really don't like the light, and I wanted to take it apart without doing too much damage .... looks like it's Dremel tool time.... WWhirrrrrrrrr whirrrrrrr!!!!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try baking it on the dashboard of your car. That should get up to about 200', not too hot. If the glue melts, you can mod your light. Just an idea.

charliek

Enlightened
Dremel tooled it out.

Just for those who might be interested: No regulator circuit- OR step-up circuit

Just a low dome luxeon on a disk type heat sink connected directly to the batteries.

What junk!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
No wonder it's so dim - no surprise it's so much brighter with lithiums. 'Wonder if the Reactor3 has any sort of regulation?

'Glad I only paid $10 for mine (Reactor 2).

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said:
Reactor 3 has a resistor in the tailcap.
wwglen

[/ QUOTE ]

I took apart the reactor 2

After I bought the reactor 2 - there was no way I was going to buy the next version.... between the flakey switch, the dimness, and the urine green color of the beam.... I was .... shalle we say... "put off".

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had bought two of them a while back, I kept one, and I smashed one trying to get it apart, looks like the two plastic halves were glued together, no regulation, no circuit inside
the head.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you tear it a new one, just remember that the Reactor was the first inexpensive Lux light available commercially at a time that others were selling for $100+.

I remember being thankful that I could own a Luxeon flashlight at that time. I bought one for myself and one for my GF's son. They were decent performers for that time with lithiums. CMG realized that they needed some help, so they went to the Reactor 3 which was a great improvement, but then they had the Luxeon color problem.

By todays standards, both are crappy lights, but be thankful that CMG choose to market them in the early stages helping to pave the market for the evolution and choices that we have today. Back then, you could buy a $130-160 ARC or a $30-40 Reactor.

That copper or brass contact piece really was pretty bad and no way to service it.

txmatt

Enlightened
I've got a CMG Reactor 2 and the switch has become flakey. It's got a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and I wrote CMG and they said mail it in an they'll replace it. Any idea if the more recently manufactured ones have any better tint than the greenish one I got or is it just the luck of the lux lottery? Was thinking maybe I'll just put it in the drawer and return it in another few years when maybe they won't have any Reactors to replace it with and will send me an LX or something.