Some QIII questions

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
I really like the idea of a QIII for EDC. It seems like it puts out good light and is a nice small size.

From reading posts it sounds like the output can really be boosted by running with a RCR123. However, it not entirely clear whether it is then necessary to upgrade the heatsink? Also, do I have to mod the light to DD in order to run rechargables? I'm also not entirely sure what I would be giving up in terms of runtime by using a rechargable?

In a perfect world, I'd love to have a QIII with HA3 and a two power switch, that I could run RCR123's through. But at that point I'm not sure what I'm looking at in terms of overall cost either to buy one in that state or to mod one into that type of animal.

Note: Has anyone sent out a light to have HA3 applied? If so what was the cost.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do run RCR123, it is reconmended that you do upgrade the heatsink. When running RCR123 with the stock circuit, you could very well be pushing over 1A through the LED. For a very easy mod to begin with, you should get the HA3 with dual switch from warren as your EDC.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Goldserve said. You will find that using a RC123 in a stock Q3 causes the area just behind the head of the flashlight to get a bit too warm after about 4 minutes. If your just going to use the Q3 for a few minutes here or a few minutes there then you can get away with it.

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
Warren's QIII looks pretty much exactly like what I am looking for, unfortunately not being able to read Korean makes it hard to figure out what one of these guys would end up costing me.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi LumenHound,

I see you are in Toronto as well. If you have any nice lights, bring them out for me to see =D

Warren has a thread here in the dealer's corner. I believe the whole HA3III light with the dual switch was going for $65. Enjoy! I love my Q3 with TYOH and my FLuPIC firmware to give it multiple brightness levels.