HDS: Rumored battery packs

Flashlight Enthusiast
When do the rumored 2AA and 2-123 battery packs come out for the HDS Basic lights?

I'd like to grab me these packs when they come out.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I haven't heard Henry talk about these for awhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd consider this higher priority than making more models of the HDS lights. The battery packs would be a fabulous addition my opinion says.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I agree totally. I would think these would be fairly easy to manufacture considering what one has to go through to design a whole light with electronics.

turbodog

Flashaholic
According to Henry, the primary reason the packs are taking a while is that there are 2-3 (or more) actual revisions of the CURRENT hds light in circulation. The pack had to be designed so it will work with all of them.

Also, there is the as yet unannounced new lights that he is working on.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Good to hear that he is designing them to work with all HDS EDCs. I'm also wondering what price range they'll come in at?

New lights, plural huh? I like the sound of that. My wallet is screaming at the prospect though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping one of the new lights is Henry's version of an improved Arc LS, using a better switch and reflector.

goldenlight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
I'm hoping one of the new lights is Henry's version of an improved Arc LS, using a better switch and reflector.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a step (or three) BACKWARDS, considering what the EDC Ultimate can and does do.

But I will agree on the Arc-LS switch: the Kroll switch has always been a POS; and a very bad decision, IMHO.

Some people seem to like them; I sure can't understand WHY: about 1oz. of pressure, and it turns on: in your pocket, in a holster, if you sit on it, etc. etc. Also, no candle mode.

All my Arc-LS's have twist switches on them. Function has always been flawless for me, at considerably reduced size, as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with goldenlight. I "switched" to the twisty pack on my Arc LS after about the second time I sat on the kroll and flattened the battery.

But, back to the original topic - I'd like to see some of the optional battery packs too. I'd be especially interested in one that will accept a bare 18650 Li-ion cell.

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
Some people seem to like them; I sure can't understand WHY: about 1oz. of pressure, and it turns on: in your pocket, in a holster, if you sit on it, etc. etc.

Any idea what is the normal pressure foe HDS ultimate 60(oz or grams)..I just emailed Henry for my stiff button problem

JohnF

Enlightened
Both of my HDS's (U60XR and B60GT) are a little stiff for my liking, but OK. I keep the Ultimate in 'auto turnoff' mode just in case...

John F

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh you guys are picky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif kidding. I actually like the kroll for function.(BTW wasn't the twisty a battery crusher? i assumed from reading old post's that was reason for the change?) I had my LSH-P out today to mess around with, but my HDS basic 60 Is my king EDC, and goes everywhere with me. I would imagine there would be a market for a HDS single level light w/the switch as is.

I am more excited about a 85-100 lm ultimate. In fact one reason I didn't go through with an order when I saw the rumour on CPF. (which tend to always turn into "non-rumour")
I also want a HDS 1XLED 1xAAA keychain light in near ARC size, with 3 levels of light. I can dream can't I? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif VDG

LowWorm

Enlightened
Stiff switch

[ QUOTE ]
Kalinux said:

Any idea what is the normal pressure foe HDS ultimate 60(oz or grams)..I just emailed Henry for my stiff button problem

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has some good info on the stiff switch issue, Kalinux.

And welcome to CPF!

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
goldenlight said:
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be a step (or three) BACKWARDS, considering what the EDC Ultimate can and does do.

But I will agree on the Arc-LS switch: the Kroll switch has always been a POS; and a very bad decision, IMHO.

Some people seem to like them; I sure can't understand WHY: about 1oz. of pressure, and it turns on: in your pocket, in a holster, if you sit on it, etc. etc. Also, no candle mode.

All my Arc-LS's have twist switches on them. Function has always been flawless for me, at considerably reduced size, as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree on the step backwards. My opinion says its simply a different product aimed at a different niche. In some situations, I would actually prefer a simpler light the size of an Arc LSH Twisty that is just on and off, no special features. I'd also like the simplicity of the twist switch. This would allow them to sell a mid-priced product ($70-100 range I expect) that is potentially more reliable (less potential for software bugs).

The current products in this niche (Longbow Micra for example) are not as good as I like, nor do they produce the beam I like.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
The current products in this niche (Longbow Micra for example) are not as good as I like, nor do they produce the beam I like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if rumours are right, longbow improved the electronics in the micra, that should make it a lot better. It's easy to change optics and lens, so that is less of a problem, too.

The new peak cr123's seem to fill the niche as well, so like I said repeatedly, I'd like to see a HDS with built-in charging capability. If Henry is working on this, I'd better start saving some money...

Chrisse

goldenlight

Enlightened
Built in charging capacity in a small Cr123 powered light opens a whole can of worms, from size to water resistance.

Most people would much rather keep a small form factor, and charge a cell (or two) outside the light, than have the light 1) cost sugnificantly more, 2)be significantly larger, 3) have the potential of several weak engineering possibilities.

For a 'full size' flashlight, it's much easier to do, but in a small, pocketable light, I just don't see that it's feasible, and cost effective.

Great idea, but too many obstacles in a light the size and compleity of the excellent HDS EDC, I think at least.