LEDs for aquarium

alfaman

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

I just want to share my little mod.
This is a 7 x luxeonIII liquid-cooled set-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
wouldn't be possible w/o Evan, Newbie and Charlies' help.

web page
web page

alfaman

Newly Enlightened
is this better?

image01.jpg

image02.jpg

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. I like it!

On a side note, do fish need a day/night cycle? Does lighting affect their behavior?

alfaman

Newly Enlightened
hi,
I forgot to mention other superheros, namely Mr Photonfanatic and George. This is ain't no ordinary fishtank. it is going to be a coral reef nano-tank. I am overdriving the LEDs @ around
1000mA plus dimming capability. intent to decommission the tired LuxIII in time for K2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LEDs for aquarium Questions

The pictures are splendid. Can you tell us a little about what LEDs are in that disc and how they are set up? I see two tubes at the top, that is fishtank water? It goes over a heat exchanger? The LEDs themselves? That is a pretty small space. Do they share a common heat exchanger? What colors does a reef need to thrive? What colors display it best? Would it be simpler if you simply had the LEDs submerged right in the tank? Are you able to keep them fully cool at 1,000 mA?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I don't want to rain on your parade, I don't believe that those leds will be bright enough, provide the right spectrum to provide enough light for corals/ coraline algae.

You might get away with some button pollyps, or mushrooms. But there isnt anyway to keep SPS or LPS (Stoney corals). Have you looked into compact flourescents or metal halides???

I think the leds are very cool, and would be great for fish only. But the corals lives depend on light, I just dont think these lights will provide for them.

Please don't take offense, just my .02,

-PSM

alfaman

Newly Enlightened

I have 6 SWOJ and 1 royal blue glued via thermal adhesive.

the tubings are the in/out via a 25G water reservoir.
I find the HE too noisy so I am chilling the warm water via frozen water bottles.

corals will grow damn well under 5500-6500k but its to too yellowish for our liking. prefered 10-14000K. the YO bin is atleast 8000k. you can try but its cheaper to mix around with lower K temp and some nice blues.

If I could get hold of some graphite, cooling LEDs via submersion would be cool.

My main concern is the Tj @ 1000mA. I am not sure if the heat dissipitation is fast enough and whether the die can handle the thermal and electrical overstress. we have to plot and see the degration chart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alfaman

Newly Enlightened

I am trying a diferent philosophy here.
I am moving away from pure brawn light.
I will be working more on improving water quality and food chain supply to make up for the loss in light to give our boys a more balanced meal.

my nano will probably need 3-4 modules total. 25W each.
will update as and when.

reefphilic

Enlightened

Hmmmm......interesting experiment. What invertebrates do you intend to keep and how deep is the nano tank?

I've not used LEDs as the main source of lighting before so I can't say that it will not work but other than the possible long term health implication, the spectrum distributions of white LED will not be able to bring out the vibrant colors of the fishes and other critters as nicely as metal halide lamps or even power compact lamps.

alfaman

Newly Enlightened

hi,
Its a 1.5 ft cube. sexy and anemone shrimps. The shrooms are doing fine. Some LPS will be a good acid test.

I agree LED needs maybe another 5 years to match today's MH and FL. I am a sucker for tech stuff and very much someone ruled by the heart. that is why you have this little mod here.

I did it..mmyy wayy - Mr F. Sinatra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

reefphilic

Enlightened

Wish you good luck on your nano and please keep us updated. Did I mentioned that the rock scaping is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif?

alfaman

Newly Enlightened

Bro Reef,
You from Singapore?! ^5
Psst, want to know the people behind the white elephant signage? or the real juice behind F-15 purchase? you should know the SG reef club yeh? happy reefing!

reefphilic

Enlightened

alfaman said:
Bro Reef,
You from Singapore?! ^5
Psst, want to know the people behind the white elephant signage? or the real juice behind F-15 purchase? you should know the SG reef club yeh? happy reefing!

Don't tell me you're the one who put up the signage? Or that I can find those answers at SRC?

Yah, happy reefing too! Have you added any LPS yet? How are the mushrooms doing?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

alfaman said:
If I could get hold of some graphite, cooling LEDs via submersion would be cool.

I thought that you could simply submerge a LED and run it. What would the graphite do?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice... made me thinking whether someone has ever done a liquid cooled portable led light...? I have done the fan cooled 3x5W-w bin... wonder whether a liquid cooled would be possible....

alfaman

Newly Enlightened

Buddy,
yes, one could probably run LED submerged but I am running a saltwater tank... :)