TigerLight Question

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I just picked up a TigerLight in BST and I have a brief and easy to answer question that I cannot seem to find the answer for by using the serch function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can the TigerLight be left on its charger or does it need to be removed when the charging is complete?

Thanks,
Matt

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based upon reading the instruction manual, do not leave the flashlight on the charger for more than 2 weeks straight (or something like that.)

My Tigerlight has a dummy charger (or so I think), the light just stays red. I leave my Tigerlight in its charger anywhere from 24 to 72 hours then take it off.

The light you got in the BST does come with box and more importantly the manual right? I can't seem to find mine.

Jason

PS. Enjoy this fabulous light, free lumens!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charger is a dumb charger, the light just means the pack is charging.

Like all rechargeables, it should not be left on the recharger indefinitely.

Bill

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Ok good to know. I am very careful about my recharables so I'm sure there won't be a problem.

Thanks guys.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question...
This isn't meant to bash anyone here.
But... i like to be prepared at all times. I know that the rechargeable batteries can't store a full charge if you leave it off the charger for a few weeks.
What do i do if i want to be prepared with a fully charged light at all times?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the light often and keep it on the charger. I would generally assume leaving a light on a charger for an extended period of time untouched is not a good thing.

If I want to keep a full powered light around, I go and use a CR123 light, can easily swap out the batteries in ~10 seconds and return it to use.

Unless you use the light (such as a LEO, security, building inspector, etc. etc.) often, and need a shelf stable light that doesn't see much use, would stick to disposable cells vs. rechargable pack.

I find my Tigerlight is a PIA sometimes, since I stopped working security I don't use it as often; so I keep it on the charger for a few days, take it off for 2 weeks, then put it back on the charger, and keep doing that cycle over and over again.

makar

Enlightened
the regular charger is dumb but the new one is a micro processor controled fast charger that goes into trickle charging when batteries are complete loaded. with the new charger you can leave the tl on the charging cradle.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Alin,

The TigerLight has a run time of somewhere near 60 minutes. If you leave it off the charger for 30 days, you will have somewhere near 50 minutes of run time. If you leave it off the charger for 60 days, you will have somewhere near 40 minutes of run time. If you leave it off the charger for 90 days, you will have somewhere near 32 minutes of run time.

To keep your TigerLight prepared for use, I would suggest recharging at least every 90 days.

Tom

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Alin,

The TigerLight has a run time of somewhere near 60 minutes. If you leave it off the charger for 30 days, you will have somewhere near 50 minutes of run time. If you leave it off the charger for 60 days, you will have somewhere near 40 minutes of run time. If you leave it off the charger for 90 days, you will have somewhere near 32 minutes of run time.

To keep your TigerLight prepared for use, I would suggest recharging at least every 90 days.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like NICD discharge rates. I am pretty sure the TL is NIMH. You take a bigger hit in the self-discharge arena with them.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Turbodog,

It seems that NiMh performance is catching up to NiCd's.

That is the average of 4 packs I have. I got interested in this a while back and picked up some extra packs so I could run my lights and conduct tests at the same time. I did two runs on each pack, and there was little scatter.

I believe the self discharge rate goes up as the pack ages. Since my packs only have 20-30 cycles on them, this may the best you can hope for.

I should also point out that the self discharge rate is directly related to the storage temperature. In hot storage, it goes up, in cool storage it goes down. These tests were done in the winter at around 65 F.

Tom

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matthewdanger.
One more thing.
Which tigerlight did you get? Pepperspray? or none? If you dont mind me asking, why did you pick one over the other?
If you got the one with the pepperspray, is it rather long to be carrying around a lot? I do like the concept of having an emergency self defense and not really alarming anyone.
Is it a real heavy light?

thanks

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
Matthewdanger.
One more thing.
Which tigerlight did you get? Pepperspray? or none? If you dont mind me asking, why did you pick one over the other?
If you got the one with the pepperspray, is it rather long to be carrying around a lot? I do like the concept of having an emergency self defense and not really alarming anyone.

thanks

I will know more when I actually have the light in hand. I went with a pepper spray model. I have always wanted one and there happened to be a nice deal in BST forum.

I will post a review at the FLDB once I receive it.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
Matthewdanger.
One more thing.

thanks
The OC TL is only 11" long--actually about the same as a MC, IIRC, but it is much lighter, because the back 3" are holding the pepper spray canister, which is significantly lighter than a NiMH D cell!

The OC TL is much more than a flashlight; it is a weapons system. As such you must treat it differently and with greater care, than an FBOP.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
matthewdanger said:
I will know more when I actually have the light in hand. I went with a pepper spray model. I have always wanted one and there happened to be a nice deal in BST forum.

I will post a review at the FLDB once I receive it.

What's FLDB?

On another note... in regards to the pepper spray canisters, if i leave it in the car in the summer, will the thing explode from the pressure? or is it not pressurized? What about in a high pressure environment like in an airplane? What about in the car during the winter time?

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
I use the TL with OC every day (LEO). In temperatures over 100F i take it out of the car, mostly as a precasution. However, we at TigerLight have had tests conducted by Eastern Labs and they did decompression tests, temp tests, and just about everything you need to know. This data can be obtained upon request.

Randy Teig
CTO TigerLight Inc.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, been using an Ultrastinger on duty as my throw/search light.
These threads on the Tigerlight have me interested, especially in one that is over 300 lumens. Just wondering if lamps for the modded versions are easy to come by. What will the run times on the 300 and 500 lumen versions be?

I sent TigerlightPro a PM. with a question. Please let me know.

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
Once we have approved the reliability of each system, they will not be mod lights any longer, they will be stock options.