Modifing an optic

wmpwi

Enlightened
Modifing an optic question > MODIFID

I seem to remember seeing a post on how one turns down an optic. Anyone remember where that one is? Hopefully before I try doing something that will screw it up. Thanks.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Modifing an optic question

Whatever you do, don't touch the sides! :) That is, don't grind the sides, as this affects the optical properties of the optic. I goofed up on a Fraen optic once... (could post the link, but the favorites are gonners, anyhoo...). Slowly grind from the top, using finer grit sand paper. Finish with 1500 or finer grade and then some toothpaste and a polishing cloth.

For actual "turning" of an optic (as in a lathe), you'll need to hold it somehow. I don't know how that's done.

wmpwi

Enlightened
As luck would have it, this optic (I got from elektrolumens site) is a 30mm and has a collar around it so it's actually 34mm. Quite nice, but I didn't know that they came that way. Now I have to buzz off about 4mm. Not much, but it will be a challenge. I see what you mean when you talk about the optical properties when cutting into the sides. Fortunately I have some room to work with. Thanks.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
It took some hunting, but I posted this back when. Hope it helps.

Edit: If Roth was a nice guy, and had too much time on his hands, :)green:) he could fix some of the broken links in the "Threads of interest" sticky in Matl's, Mechanical and Machining.

Larry

Last edited:

wmpwi

Enlightened
Re: Modifing an optic - mission accomplished

I don't have a lathe, but I do have a Dremel type thing. With a little time I was able to shave off the extra 4mm to fit it in this head from the 3 watt Luxeon Torch. Since I'm the optic is much shorter than the original reflector, I get to toss in a much thicker heat sink to move the LED to the correct focal point. The extra heat sinking will come in handy with the Lux V I'm hoping to use.

optic.jpg
optic1.jpg

optic2.jpg

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Modifing an optic - mission accomplished

Charley,

Looks good! It can be a real hassle getting an optic spaced just right from an emitter! I think the 30mm's from wayneJ do a pretty good job.

Larry