Review: ARC AAA LE, C3, E2

kb0rrg

Enlightened
The have recently purchased an ARC AAA LE, as C3 and E2.

Arc AAA LE

I have had the ARC AAA LE for about a month now. I got it from Texas Tactical Supply. They have very good service and FAST (3 days). Not to mention they're cheapest around. I don't have many LED lights for comparison except a Photon I. I has a PII, but it died (actually, I killed it)

Quality of construction
Grade: A
This light is machined to the same quality of a SureFire product. The HA coating has yet to scratch. The knurling is very good. The only improvement I would suggest is to make the head segment longer. It would be easier to operate one handed if there were a larger surface to grip.

Light output
Grade: B
The light output is quite good considering the size and runtime. The beam is a very nice white with a blueish hotspot. This blue hot spot is somewhat annoying IMO, but not too bad. The ARC is a little less bright than a PT pulsar, but brighter that the Photon I. I believe that the stated runtime is accurate, if not too conservative. I was expecting an instantaneous transition from "bright" to "moon" mode as the battery weakened. This was not the case. It was rather gradual.

Carrying
Grade: A
I carry the ARC on my key ring. It is attached with a 3" lanyard so that I can be used to light my keys. It is also set up with a quick release for convenience. It is unnoticeable in my pocket.

C3
After a year of listening to everyone here talk about their SFs, I finally made my plunge. I got the E2 and C3. I ordered from AGR. Good prices, but slow. 2+ weeks (my arc came in 3 days!). I plan on using each for EDC, but not at the same time. The C3 for nighttime and the E2 for day/ or when the C3 is too much on the belt. I think I will use the C3 for night jogging (to supplement my headlamp) and backpacking (again to supplement my headlamp). I got the C3 instead of the D3 because the C is available in HAIII, were as the D3 is not. C3 SN A000598 / E2 SN A22065

Quality of construction
A
Praise- The quality of the machining and tolerancing is first rate. While I would not deliberately submerge the light, I have no doubt that it would be ok with most use in very wet environments. Its o-rings are much better than mag, and fewer are needed. So far the HAIII has been unscrached, but the light has had a cushy life so far. There is a very slight mismatch of the color of the HAIII between the components

Areas of improvement- I wish that there was knurling on more of the body. The only place that it occurs is on the tail cap. I wish that the lock out tail cap had a two-position ball bearing dedent. This would make a slight click when the light was locked out and when ready.

Light output
A-
This is why we have flashlights. This one is very bright. It is the brightest carryable light I have. My 1 million and 2 million CP spotlights beat it. My 50w-halogen helmet light beats it. But these are all 10lbs+ and are very heavy. The C3 easily beats a 3D mad with carley bulb, Legend LX, and Streamlight 4AA. When I went to use my 2AA mag after a few minutes of the C3, I thought that there was a problem with the mag. Nope, there is just a huge difference. Then there this the P91 bulb. Brighter, whiter, rounder, and bigger beam. This bulb really makes the C3 amazing. The beam quality of the P90 is good, about the same as the Legend LX. It is very rectangular, about a 2:1 ratio, which I find annoying. I think it will work better if I orient the module such that the rectangle will be horizontal when I am using it. The P91 is much rounder, although not perfect. It is important to keep a perspective on these lights. They are flashlights, not spotlights. SF still has to obey the laws of physics. There have been some grandiose claims about the power of surefire lights. Put it this way, they are the best lights in the world, but don't expect miracles.

Carrying-
B+
As far the size of the light is concerned, it is ok for EDC IMO, but I typically travel a bit heavier than most. It can be clipped in the front pocket of a pair of jeans with reasonable comfort. It can be clipped directly to a belt. I have done this some, but it could be easily knocked out. I prefer to carry an $80 light is a fully enclosed holster. I bought a V11 with my order. This is an open loop nylon holster for 9volt SFs. Turns out the C3 will not fit with the rubber grip ring. If the grip ring is removed it will fit, but not very well. I am very disappointed with the quality of the holster in general. But then again, it was inexpensive. I will be pursuing other holster options.

I have been playing around with the Rogers technique of handling the light. While I do not use a hand gun, I can see some advantage to the technique. I have 2 observations that are relevant to me. The Rogers grip is good for looking at things above you. The Harris grip is awkward above horizontal. Secondly, when using the Rogers grip, the silhouette of the hand and light resembles a hand gun. This could be good, or very bad. Just something to think about.

E2

Quality of construction
A
The E2 is has the same quality as the C3. The E2 is a much simpler light. Again the HAIII has yet to be scratched. This light is covered with knurling, it will not slip out when wet. I wish that the bezel screwed on to the body a bit more to give the o-ring a better seal. The E2 is smaller than the 2AA mag.

Light output
A
With the exception of the ARC AAA and the AAA mag, this is the smallest light I have. Yet it beats every thing but the C3. Yes Virginia, the E2 is brighter than the 3D mag. Even with a Carley bulb.(but not by much) The beam quality is truly perfect, not a hint of a ring or wedge. It has just the right focus. It surprises me that the C3 beam with the integrated bulb reflector is inferior to the E2 with the separated bulb. It is very important to factor in the relative size of this light when thinking about the output. The E2 is smaller than a 2AA but is brighter that a 3D…WOW.

Carrying
A
This is where the E2 really shines. It is very happy to be clipped to the inside of a front pocket. I can really see why the bezel down carry is desired. When bezel up, the lens is visible, susceptible to scratches and get dirty. The light also must be rotated before using. I also really want a lockout tail cap, even if it adds a little length. It has flashed couple of times from my pocket. I try to keep the tail cap unscrewed to increase the switch travel before activation, but a lockout like one the C3 would be much better. The knurling on the body keeps the light secure when clipped to a pocket, but I would think that after a couple hundred draws that it may abrade the cloth. The knurling is a bit like a file.

With both the C3 and the E2 I still carry the 2AA mag. This is primarily for economical run time. I would also prefer to loan the mag over the E2 or C3. It is also fun to compare the two. I don't typically carry the E2 and the C3 at the same time.

recercare

Enlightened
Thank you for the review. The E2 should be much brighter than the Mag 3D (even with the Carley bulb). Just look at the difference in wattage. Mag=3.1W, E2=5W (according to Brock's webpage...I think).

However, wattage is not excellent for measuring light. I have a DB 8AA and a Mag 3D with standard bulb. The 8AA should be much brighter considering it's 3.8W Halogen/Xenon, but it's not THAT much brighter. I would guess that the Mag 3D with Carley would equal the DB 8AA, which is somewhat annoying!

Could you (or anyone) give more reasons for choosing the C3 and not the D3. What are the other differences between the these two lights.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
C3 has a combat grip. This is a big advantage if you want to use the Rogers technique. The C3 is available in HAIII. The D3 is round the entire lenght of the body. I would expect that it would fit better in the V10/V11 holster.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup the 3D using the "standard" lamp was pulling 3.1w, and the E2's 5.0w does blow it away. I am going to have to do another test with the RS XPR103 to see how it compares.