Dorcy 1 AAA circut in Metal Gear

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to figure a way to put some kind of regulated circut into a Dorcy Metal gear 1W 3 AAA light. My first choice would be fully regulated, but I might just take whatever I can find. One idea I have would be to use the circut from the Dorcy 1 AAA light. I have seen that others have used this in a Solitaire. One more idea I had was to put in a Lux 3 using the dorcy circut, but I don't think it would handle it. Any ideas for modding this light would be appreciated.

attowatt

Enlightened
I like your idea Gonzo,

Well there is definately enough room to mount the dorcy aaa circuit board in the metal gear housing. I posted here"useable" light after 8 hours on alkalines. I'm sure this runtime will increase using dorcy aaa circuit.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87945&page=2&pp=30&highlight=metal+gear

As for the lux 3 being driven by a dorcy aaa circuit board its been done.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33478&page=3&pp=30

I have a Q3 with the dorcy aaa circuit and it works fine.
Give it a go and post your findings.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey Gonzo,

That sounds like a good idea. PBarrete had replied to a similar post in this thread.

If you do go ahead with this task, let us know how it turns out. I just might follow suit.

Good Luck!

Danno

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
What is a good lux 3, and where can I get one? Also, what is this arctic alumina epoxy I have read about? Is it supposed to conduct heat or electricity? Would regular epoxy work?

Last edited:

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
Would a converter board like those from the Sandwich shoppe work any better than the dorcy circut? By better, I mean better regulated. If so, which one? There are so many, and I don't know if I would need a just a boost circut or a buck/boost. Since I will be running 3 AAA's, I would guess the Wizard2 520 Ma.

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
If I were to use the Dorcy circut, would it matter which bin emitter I used? If so, which one would be best? I'm not sure what level the voltage is boosted to. I measured it once, but I can't remember what it was. Also, I don't know if it should be measured with or without the led (original) attached. What about voltage and bin numbers for the wizard driver?

Last edited:

attowatt

Enlightened
Sorry Gonzo,

I am not familiar with the wizard bd. I only use the dorcy aaa with a swok lux 3 from a Q3. I upgraded my Q3 with photonfanatics twoj and used the swok in another q3. If you do go with dorcy aaa, maybe best to use just a 1 watt lux, that way if it blows your not out a 3 watt. I dont remember the voltage.