Surefire 12zm question?

ts0nger19795o0s

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a surefire 12zm on ebay and I was wondering if someone could help me identify the lamp. It has no markings that I can see and it doesn't seem bright enough to be 500 lumens. I will try to keep an eye on the total run time to get an idea that way. Does anyone know what lamp they came stock with? Was it the 500 lumen lamp? Thanks,

Travis

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
Lamp # - N62. It was told to me by a Surefire employee that with brand new batteries these lamps will average a legitimate 600 for a couple minutes. Makes a great replacement lamp for the M4 Devastator *S*.

It will cause "Thermal Shutdown " (driving the batteries past where their temperature safety level causes them to "turn off" before they explode. As soon as they cool back down internally your light will work again.
- Russ

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it should have come with an N62 but it would not say anything on the lamp. I would do a runtime test on new batteries if it were the N62 the light will shutdown in less than three minutes.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The N62's bulb does not have "straight sides" like the MN60 & MN61 bulbs do. The N62's bulb does not have a frosted tip.

The N62 is an "N-type" TurboHead Lamp Assembly rather than an "MN-type" TurboHead Lamp Assembly. The outer (-ve) spring contact for the N-type is short in relation to the inner (+ve) spring contact (compared to the spring contacts of the MN-type which are also of a shiney metal finish).

The N62 Lamp Assembly is the only SureFire Lamp Assembly identified by no etched markings on black.

The N62 lamp draws a lot of current from the four batteries and will result in "thermal shutdown" with prolonged use over the course of a couple of minutes or so.

Use only American-made batteries such as SureFire SF123A or Duracell DL123A batteries. Some imported batteries do not have all the internal safety features, nor are they manufactured to the same high standards required of USA-manufactured batteries. When you're using the N62 lamp (or the MN21 in the M6) there is no point cutting corners for a few cents. Safety and performance will be reduced.

To get the most out of your 12ZM I suggest you change the batteries and perhaps clean the contacts. Additionally, if the TailCap pressure switch of the 12ZM can not be disabled by backing the TailCap off the body then it is important you purchase a LockOut TailCap. For example the Z41. You can also use the Z49 or Z59.
Without a LockOut TailCap the risk of accidental activation during storage, transport and carry is extremely high - this will drain the batteries and seriously impact the available runtime, and could be a safety risk or damage the 12ZM or clothing/equipment etc.

Enjoy your 12ZM!

Al

P.S.
The 12PM was my first SureFire - expensive to run but ever so worth it!