E2e posibilities again before buying

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I have decided on flashlights for the autos and have a G2 for home. The G2 doesn't have the lock out feature so I'm not comfortable carrying or packing it. I think I'll go for the E2e for the times I may carry (and leave the G2 at home) and would like you fella's to explain the way more clearly unto me about the possibilites of using different batteries and lamps to get the same output (or a little more if it works out that way) with the best even output over the same time (or a little more if it works out that way again).

I've gone through the threads about changing/modifying bulbs and going to rechargable batteries on the E2e but there's a lot there and I'd like the info in one place if possible. From what I can grasp, the E2e operates at 6 volts (3+3 volt non-rechargable 123 batteries) with a 60 lumen bulb that is different from the P60 bulb at 65 lumens in the G2. It looks like the mod is using rechargable batteries that after a short "on" time are settleing down to 3.7+3.7 volts = 7.4 and replacing the standard E2e bulb (which I assume is rated at 6 volts) with one of higher voltage rating to compensate for the 7.4 volts the new batteries are putting out. This evidently comes at a cost of having to use a non-standard E2e bulb seat that will fit the E2e but needs to be slightly modified to fit a different higher rated bulb.

Right so far? :huh2:

What I don't get is, is this mode only to use rechargeable batteries? I'm not particularlly interested in rechargeable's since my hopefully soon to be E2e will not be used enought to concider that option, but if the mode would give me a signifacant increase in output stability (since the E2e isn't regulated for constant lumen output as is the A2) then I "would" be interested. I'm not up on the characteristics of rechargeable batteries and so don't know if there's something going on here I don't know about. I don't wish to give up any run time with this mod if used so that would be a consideration also.

So, to make this mess a little more clear (too late for that, huh?) I'm interested in a mod for the E2e that will give me a more even lumen output "without" losing runtime, or the rated 60 lumens and without adding any length to the unit with add-ons. As I said, rechargeable batteries aren't important to me but if I have to go to them to get what I want then that's OK too.

Think it over and let me know if it's possible, even if you have a different solution than the original one.

Thanks again...

Connor

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one this week and it doesn't have the feature. Old stock I guess, but it's water under the bridge now. Guess I'd rather have it that way for home use, don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night with someone strange in the house and push the button on the back of the light when I yell and nothing happens 'cuze the light was locked off! Well, maybe something would happen, but not what I would want to!!!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
connortn, I think you have things correct. I have mostly moved to regulated LEDs, but keep my E2e stock and use stock lithium disposables. I did not want to modify the E2e, lamp or have to deal with modified spare lamps for a little bit more output. Also, the lithium-ion rechargeables that are not voltage regulated top out at 4.2 volts, and are often not happy supplying the current needed for such an incandescent, in a multi-battery config. When they are exhausted, Li-ions like the Battery Station RCR123 completely shut off - zero volts - your light dies instantly. Disposable CR123s tend to ramp down gradually, so you are not left in total darkness instantly. Also, 123 rechargeables have somewhat less capacity than disposables.

Rechargeable CR123s work very well in one-cell lights with modest current requirements, such as LEDs.

Disposable CR123s are available for $1 each plus shipping from vendors like Battery Station with CPF membership.

I think the E2e is a fine light in stock form!

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Louie, that was good information. Staying with the stock form of the e2 makes since also if you should resell or give it to someone in the family. Someone else may not be interested in using non-standard parts in the light. I'll probably pick up an e2 instead of the e2e just because I think it looks better, not as durable with the finish though. I'd like to find a clickie tail cap in the same finish that won't add any to the length of the light. If you know of such a thing let me know.

Thanks...

Connor

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the KL-1 led head and it doubles the runtime, but not as bright but plenty bright enough for me.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Shouldn't be a problem to lock out your G2, you can unscrew the head of the torch and it will not light from the tailswitch. Alternatively, you could do your first mod and replace the switch with a clickie cannibalized from another light.

Just to reiterate, if you're using incan lamps, do not use rechargeables, or you will be needing a bunch of spare lamp assemblies. There is the Pila rechargeables with their own bulb mod, but you are still stuck buying lamp assemblies, just from Pila instead of SF.

daloosh

connortn

Newly Enlightened
I don't suppose there is a lamp assembly that would fit the e2 w/o modifications that would equal the output of the P60 lamp is there?

rikvee

Enlightened
What some of us are waiting for is a ceramic socket adapter that takes Streamlight bulbs suited for single and double Li-Ions and makes them fit inside Surefire E-Series heads.
There is a Pila 3.7V lamp assembly for the P-Series, expensive 'cause they include the reflector.
Once the adapter is happening, we'll be able to use a 3.7 Strion globe on a single Pila 168s (prot 17670) in an E2e, retaining the incandescent beam while saving on batteries.
Of course you can fit a 5W LED head on your E2e, which is only worth it if you can find a black KL4 and a black e2D body (thank you akula88 and lighthound.com), otherwise a complete L4 is cheaper.
Very nice light, but a throwing incan it ain't....
The other after-market 5W and 3W LED heads are all for the P-Series.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
The ceramic socket adapter that takes Streamlight bulb sounds like a great ideal. I've read through the posts on that a few times and being new to these lights I afraid I don't fully understand what's possible. I guess what I'd like is this:

1. e2 body length
2. A ceramic base that will take a plug-in bulb similar to the way the mini-mag's bulb plugs in.
3. The bulb must be removable to replace when bad so that I don't have to make another base and epoxy the bulb in.
4. I'd like to have the option of using non-rechargable and rechargable 123 cells, but if I only had one choice I'd choose the non-rechargable 123's.
5. If I do this, I would want an output very much like my G2.

The only other thing I'd like to do is replace the standard twist-on twist-off tail assembly with a good clickie that is the same diameter and length as the original and it be flat on the back side to stand it on it's end. I see other lights that have such a switch assembly but don't know if they'll fit the e2. Maybe someone here has found such a clickie. If so, please post it here. I'd be greatly appreciative. Surefire make even make such a thing but I haven't located it yet.

Thanks for listening to the endless searches of a newbie fellows...

Connor