Need help perfecting bike light idea

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I love mountain biking at night. It combines my two great loves: Mountain biking and flashlights!

Most lighting systems that are suitable for trail riding in the dark start at about $90 and go way, way up from there. They have to be bright, and they have to have throw.

While I have a pretty nice light on my bike, some of the guys in my riding group don't have endless capital to throw at lighting systems. I've been using this as an excuse to play with different solutions that won't cost quite so much.

Tonight I strapped a Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon onto my helmet to see how it would be. It is great! The throw is fantastic and unlike many other LED based lights it doesn't get eaten up in the foliage. And for $32...

The only problem is that it's not quite enough. I think putting on on my handlebars in addition to one on my helmet would be about right - point the handlebar one about 3 or 4 feet in front of my tire and then have the helmet mounted one for directional and long distance lighting.

But for the close up one, the SLPPL's focus is just a bit too tight. I'd like something with a bit more spread.

At first I was thinking about buying a Streamlight Lux Jr to put on the handlebars, but I have an ARC LSH-P, which has roughly similar specs for brightness, and I think it will be a bit too dim.

So my next thought, and my question here, is if anyone knows how I could just slightly diffuse the beam of the SLPPL? Is there maybe a diffuser film I could buy a sheet of and cut to fit the SLPPL's lens, or some other product I could use?

Or maybe somebody has another idea for a relatively inexpensive light that would have a more appropriate beam to start with...?

Thanks for any advice - I'm all ears!

-Guyzero

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For a quick and simple test of feasibility try putting a bit of Satin Scotch tape or some of the Press N Seal wrap on the light. It might be all you need.

Geoff

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I tried putting some Satin Tape over the lens and it works perfect! Just the right amount of diffusion. Thanks Geoff!

I'm going to talk to theatrical lighting people I know and see if they can get me professional grade "gel" sheets that would be more heat resistant (just in case). That way I could just cut a small circle and drop it into the lens before the lamp assembly.

I am continually amazed at how nice the SLPPL is for only $32! Running around last night with the tape on the front gave it a very smooth beam but it still had quite a bit of throw. Made my Arc LSH-P look really dim. I might start doing that permanently...

-Brian

wtraymond

Enlightened
You won't need anything "heat resistant" on the lens of an LED light no matter how bright it is.

FlashlightLens has some UCLs with a LDF (Light Diffusion Film) in all sorts of sizes. He even has oddball sizes from time to time. Measure your lens and send him an email.