Mag D alternatives

kniteshade

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Im considering buying a higher-power flashlight, something like a 3D Mag. However, flashlightreviews.com suggests that its not as good quality as other similar lights out there (in terms of output)
What other 2-4D cell lights would you suggest?

Thanks,
Ben.

mykall

Enlightened
The Mags are throwers pure and simeple. There will always be
a place in my car for my 3D mag with Xenon bulb. All it takes is
to be broken down in a stange place where you need not only
the security of a good weapon, but the ability to have a good
look around and you'll understand the value of the big Mags.

There was a time when I had thought about replacing it with
something more "esoteric" but that notion is gone.

Don't know what other large "D" cell lights you might
consider, but reivews/ratings are only part of the picture.

MB

juancho

Enlightened
The Maglites are GREAT lights for the money, a Tiger light will be a better light but will cost a lot more.

Many people dislike the business manners of the MAG Company but it is a disservice to talk ill about their lights as it is nothing wrong with them.

The most populars mods here in CPF are made with Maglites 2 and 3 D's.

If you want a better light go with the Magcharger, it is free to run as is rechargeable, comes with car adaptor, is hard anodized type III and the reflector is metal not plastic, the lens is heat treated glass and will output 176 lumens which is better than the Maglite 3 D's 39 lumens.

Best of all you can get them for about $80.00 in many places.

Juancho

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
smurf_boi said:
awer??
is the macharger really type3 hard anodised??

Mine is 15-16 yrs old, has somes chips outta it but nothing like friends D cell mags I have seen. I also think the MC beam is "whiter" then there stock D/C lights.VDG

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ben, what lights do you already have?
What are you going to use the light for and how often are you going to use it? What is your minimum requirements for runtime and brightness/throw. Price range?

Sigbjoern

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ben, do you absolutely need a big D cell light? There are many far better choices than a 3D/4D Maglite.

E.g, the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA has about equal output as a 3D Mag, good throw (although the Mag has better throw), is a fraction of the weight, no bulb to burn out or break. Available in all black or yellow body for about $22.95 from http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338.

Regulated LED lights like the PP Lux 4AA will maintain about constant brightness as the batteries fade. By contrast the Mag has a terrible discharge curve and spends most of the battery life at a fraction of full output.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

If you need more run time, consider the Propoly Lux 3C, about 6 hrs.

If you want big output (far more than a D-cell Mag) at a reasonable cost, incandescent xenon 2x CR123A-powered lights are an option.

E.g, the Surefire G2, Streamlight Scorpion, or Pelican M6 produce about double the output of a 3D Mag, aren't that expensive, and are roughly Minimag size.

If the light must be physically big to double as a club you can mod the D-cell mag, but it's often more expensive than buying a new light.

The LEDBeam 3C produces about double 3D Mag output, excellent throw, and is inexpensive:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm

techwannabe

Newly Enlightened
joema, you can say that again. DOUBLE!! and now back with free shipping on LEDBEAM websight. $29.95 for a thrower, UNREAL!!!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that if you're planning on using the light for car duty, as someone else mentioned above, stay away from alkaline cells. Cold weather will kill them in their quiet, aluminum casket... You'll still retain a 3D Alks club-like qualities, however.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
Remember that if you're planning on using the light for car duty, as someone else mentioned above, stay away from alkaline cells. Cold weather will kill them in their quiet, aluminum casket... You'll still retain a 3D Alks club-like qualities, however.

Well put Phaserburn, couldn't have said it any better...

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mag 4D in both of my cars. Although the other lights suggested are good lights, I think there's a need for a D cell light simply for the runtime. Those 123 incans are bright, many brighter than a Mag D, but not for long. Many of them have a runtime of an hour or so. A big Mag will get you through till morning, no problem. Yeah, sure it will be dimming, but still very good output after 3 hours, whereas a 123 incan will be long since dead. (Unless you have spare batteries).
As far as the problem with alkalines go, I just check the batteries every spring and fall for leakage. Sure they will perform worse in the cold, but you can suppliment the Mag with a cheap 123 incan like a Dorcy Spider, or Brinkmann Maxfire. It's better to have too many flashlights than not enough. My Mag 4D is my main light in my car, and I have a Brinkmann (Legend LX?) 2-123 incan to back it up if needed.
I also have a couple cheap 2D cell flashlights in the car to load out/give away if needed.

C4LED

Enlightened
What BigEd said sounds exactly right to me. I'd only add that you can have even more run time if you replace the bulb w/an Everled or Diamond--though this will come at the expense of throw.

Using a Brinkmann Maxfire 123 light as a backup will give you good power and will hold up in cold weather.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still assuming you must have a big D-cell or maybe C-cell light, the Elektrolumens Blaster Jr and Blaster 3P are $49.

If run time is important, the Blaster 3P runs at high brightness over 24 hr, and diminishing brightness after 24 hr.

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster_Jr/Blaster-Jr.html
http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html

If you really want high power, the Tesla-6 produces 432 lumens, $169. Available in 2D, 3D, 6C and 6D forms. Light output is the same, with the longer lights having greater run time.

http://elektrolumens.com/Tesla-6/Tesla-6.html

FNG

Enlightened
How about a UKE SL4? Uses 4 C batteries side by side and supposedly has good throw. Only costs ~$30.