River Rock additions

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the RR Lantern, with 1.5 watt Jupiter, and was so impressed, I went back.

I bought the RR 2AA 1.5 watt aluminum light. It is about 1/2" longer than a SL Jr. Lux. Very nice grey anodizing, with knurling midbody, and in a ring around the bezel. Has a Mag like switch on the forward body. $ 19.95.

The light has a (+) lens collimater, that produces a perfectly round beam, no corona, or spill to speak of. A few faint rings outside of the main beam.

I really don't prefer a light without spill, but probably will keep this one; will test for throw tonight. I did get a fairly white emmitter, just a touch of blue in the periphery.

My next purchase was the RR head lamp with 0.5 watt, and two brightness levels. $ 15.

Quickbeam reviewed this one, so I won't bore you other than to say I like it a lot, it's a keeper. I did luck up again, and got a mainly white 1/2 watt.

The flashlight section at Target had a HUGE River Rock section, larger than Mag-Lite (gasp). Also had a bunch of Inovas of various flavors. The hang thingy (2) for the RR Lantern was empty, yesterday it had 8-10 lanterns in them.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to several Targets in my area and NONE had anything River Rock and they had no idea what I was talking about. Can you guys tell me the UPC numbers or something that are on these packages so I can get them ordered thru target? I want (1) lantern, (1) RR 0.5w 2AAA, and (1) Headlamp.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe, I had one of the 2AAA 0.5 watts, and someone talked me out of it. That one had a blue, blue beam, so I don't miss it.

The head lamp # is T-HP900X-B

I tossed the packaging on the Lantern and don't have the numbers.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still got the packaging at home, I'll try to remember to check when I get home tonight and I'll post the UPC codes and such if I find 'em.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
cue003 said:
I went to several Targets in my area and NONE had anything River Rock and they had no idea what I was talking about. Can you guys tell me the UPC numbers or something that are on these packages so I can get them ordered thru target? I want (1) lantern, (1) RR 0.5w 2AAA, and (1) Headlamp.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

RR Lantern UPC code: 90920 80533
RR .5w 2AAA UPC code: 90920 80528
RR .5w Headlamp UPC code: 90920 80529

I'd say the Lantern and the 2AAA light are the best 2 out of the bunch. The 2AA is my least favorite as it has almost zero spill.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackDecker,
I have to agree, I love the .5watt 2xAAA light and the lantern. I'm not fond of zero spill lights in general but I do like the 2xC light in group camping situations because it is so controlled that it is easy to avoid blinding other people.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Guess I did leave out the great .5w RR headlamp from my previous post. It's an excellent headlamp with a nice 3-point strap setup. It's an improvement over my Princeton Tec Aurora, and the RR headlamp cost less.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greenlight, I tried a small strap wrench on mine, to try and perhaps take out that damn (+) lens. No joy. It must be welded on.

Getting dark now, perhaps I can find some redeeming features in a light with no spill.

Durn good looking body on this light. It almost looks Surefire like in quality. Don't know if it is HA lll, doubt it, but still looks great.I like the Mag like switch. Not bad for $ 20.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kinda like the AA. It's like a little minature 'spot light'. Perfect round beam- no spill. Pretty bright for a $20 light. I got all 3 and been using that little lantern constantly for a portable table lamp. All of them are great deals. They sold real fast around here (Chicago) and are out of stock now. Bet they get them back though as fast as those sold.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
All of the Targets in my area have alloted more shelf space to the River Rocks and Inova's than the Mags.

Surely, this must be causing concern at the last light manufacturer on the planet without a LED light, when a large nationwide buyer like Target cuts back on shelf space on Mags to offer more innovative lighting options.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackDecker said:
Surely, this must be causing concern at the last light manufacturer on the planet without a LED light, when a large nationwide buyer like Target cuts back on shelf space on Mags to offer more innovative lighting options.
We discussed this in a recent thread and some think Mag is doing just fine. Maybe Mag is waiting 5 years until perfect tint LEDs are available.

Or maybe Mag thinks nobody will buy those gosh darned newfangled LED lights.

Or since Joe Six Pack only knows the Mag brand, as long as one Maglite is left on the display stand he'll buy that not the competition, so why maintain all that Mag shelf space and inventory?

Or maybe it's all a cunning plan by Mag to outmaneuver the competition -- yield the store shelf space just to falsely build up their confidence.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the UPC numbers guys. I am going to try to track them down and buy a couple different units.

Curtis

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just been comparing my $10 AAA River Rock to some fancier more $$$ lights. Makes a nice shirt pocket EDC. Unbeatable quality/$$/size. A whole lot more light and 1/4 the cost of Arc AAA. I let my girlfiend play with the AA and I thinks its history :rant: (Now she has 3 flashlights but I have a 100).

Anybody wanna mag solitare cheap? It even kinda lights up (Almost 1/2 the power of a worn out bic lighter). That is the lamest AAA:crackup:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
NikolaTesla said:
Anybody wanna mag solitare cheap? It even kinda lights up (Almost 1/2 the power of a worn out bic lighter). That is the lamest AAA:crackup:

I agree totally. I tossed mine in the "don't use anymore" box about 6 - 8 years ago- haven't even thought about ever using it again. I outta cannibalize it and make use of it some other way.

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
I bought a RR lantern and 1.5w 2AA flashlight last week after reading about them here. The lantern stayed, the flashlight went back to Target.

I thought the lantern was small and bright enough to be useful even with the "beam" irregularities, and runs just as bright on rechargeables as alkalines. Great around the house and will be for camping I'm sure.

The flashlight, with it's totally narrow focus and zero sidespill was useless. Not bright enough for distance use, too focused for close and medium use. I took it out on a walk one night and found myself sweeping the beam around like a metal detector just to see where I was going, and then up and down to look ahead/right in front of me. The stark moon shape was intriguing for photographic possibilities, except the beam was not consistant, being bluish tinted near the edge and more white in the middle. There's one use I can think of for it offhand... searching for animals around people's houses without causing the beam to shine inside their windows and annoy them.

There are a lot of better flashlights for a few bucks more, some for the same or even less (I wish Costco would sell those 2 packs again!).