L2 v L4

FredM

Enlightened
Anyone have a beam shot of the L2 vs the L4?

I originally wanted an L2 but this forum convinced me to go for the L4 Now I am wondering what I am missing as far as output by not going with the L2.

Thanks

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the reflectors are the same size so the beams will be the same. Any differences between them will probably be due to variations between luxeons.

The L2 is driven a little harder on high than the L4. This gives you a little more brightness with the L2 over the L4. But again, some have not noticed much difference. Luxeon lottery. Also, the L2 will not run as long on high as the L4. It depends on what you are going to use it for.

Are you thinking about maybe using rechargeables? If so get the L4. Rechargeables don't fit in the L2.

I would lean toward the L4 and mod the tailcap with a McE2S two stage switch.

Another option is to buy both, try them out and sell the one you don't like in the B/S/T. :)

FredM

Enlightened
Yeah Sean thanks. I own the L4 already actually. I see the L2 is driven harder i guess I need to decide if the extra Lux is worth the extra length!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Have to remember, that the L2 is also regulated on low. The L2's low output is much brighter than the McE2S modified L4 on low.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I use the L2 on low most of the time, saving the high ouput for intermittent use. Batteries seem to last forever. :)

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Basically, if you want a brighter low you'll need the L2 as the McE2S system won't be able to give you that. The McE2S is the way for relatively conservative low-modes up to very dim choices.
bernie

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both an L2 and an L4. I replaced the L4's tailcap with a McGizmo 2-stage and what I think is a 22-ohm resistor. I use AW's 1600 mAh 17670 Li-Ion cells.

The difference between my larticular flashlights is that the L4 is shorter, can tailstand, has no regulated low, and uses both primary cells and rechargeables. Brightness on both high and low is essentially the same, as is runtime (I expect, testing that now).

For my use, I don't need a regulated low. The bright level is the important one to have regulated. You want max capability every time you punch the button, and don't want to be at the mercy of your batteries. Having the low setting gradually dim is of almost no consequence.

One thing I didn't think about was that the McGizmo switch will change brightness in low when you go from primaries at 6 V to Li-Ion at 3.7 V. (Doh!) The 60-ohm resistor was about right with primaries, but I swapped it for the only other flavor I had -- 22-ohm -- when I discovered that my low mode had gone from bright enough to walk by to dimmer than a SureFire L1's low.

Scott

PS: Yes, Kiessling, I guess you are right. My L4's low is not quite as bright as the L2's. I would not rate it any less functional though.

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
oldgrandpajack said:
Have to remember, that the L2 is also regulated on low. The L2's low output is much brighter than the McE2S modified L4 on low.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I use the L2 on low most of the time, saving the high ouput for intermittent use. Batteries seem to last forever. :)

Didn;t realize that. The A2 is not regulated on low either correct?

What ohm resistor would give me more light on low than the A2 has without going into regulation?

Size15's

Flashaholic
FredM said:
Didn;t realize that. The A2 is not regulated on low either correct?

The A2's LEDs are not regulated. It isn't worth it - it would reduce runtime when runtime is the aim, and take up extra space when space is at a premium.

Al