Any lights/headlamps out there that have output like an L4 with longer runtime?

WDR65

Enlightened
Last saturday I had a chance to use my L4 to track several deer on opening day . It worked great and its tint was perfect for spotting tracks or blood on the ground. I must admit that I was impressed as I had never really thought I would find myself using an led to do this. The one drawback ended up being runtime, I went through two sets of batteries in the time it took to find three deer.

So I'm looking for something with similar flood and output but longer runtime. Size really doesn't matter, it could be up to 4D mag size and it could be a headlamp. I realize the L2 would be another option and if its flood at low is similar just with less output it might work as well as the U2 might work. I'm on the list for the U2 passaround so I think I'll get a chance to test it. Another option I guess would be the older KL1 head, but I'm not sure if it will have as warm or as white a tint.

Also what kind of rechargable 123's can I use with an L4 aside from Pilas?

I never thought I'd need a floodlight as I've always leaned more towards throw, but I really have found the L4 useful and its peaked my interest into more high output luxeon lights.

jtice

Flashaholic
The Stenlight Headlamp www.stenlight.com
Has great runtime and excellent output, best LED headlamp out there I think.

The U2 has alot more throw than the L4,
the U2 is like a wide hotspot, the L4 is allllll flood.

For the most part, you would need a 2C or larger mag, if your looking for great runtimes.
But mags tend to be much much tighter beams than the L4.

There are a few rechargable 123 cells, but I dont think any will run as long as the Pila cell.

~John

cy

Flashaholic
stick a Mce2s two stage switch on L4.

you don't need high beam most of the time. I carry L1 or more often U2 w/18650 for deer hunting. with 2 backup 18650, you've got 6+ hours of burntime on high. days on low.

going to try out several UV lights this season for blood tracking

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 and L2 would both be great options. You gain so much run time at lower output, yet that level is often quite adequate output for the task.

The L2 beam is more "floody" than the U2, but the U2 has more adjustability.

Many headlamp options. Here's a page of headlamps. The Petzl Duo line looks good; various battery and output options.

http://www.caves.org/imo/lamps.htm

WDR65

Enlightened
Jtice,
The Stenlight looks good I've been looking at all the posts on it. The U2 is probably about what I'm looking for but I like knowing all my options. As for the Mags I should have said I have most of the D cell models aside from the 3D and have put the upgrade bulbs in most of them but their beam is more useful for seeing things a ways out and not for looking at things 10 feet or less in front of me.

Cy,
You make a good point about the two stage switch and I'll give that some more thought, even if I do buy a U2 I like the form factor of the E series and regularly carry one. I plan to order an L1 as my birthday present to myself this month and to use up batteries that I still have laying around. As with Jtice the U2 sounds like my best bet and when I have the money I plan to get one.

Joema,
Sounds like you agree with the rest and from all that it looks like I'd be hard pressed to go wrong with the U2. By the way I want an L2 bad, its just not as practical for me at the moment as I have two reasons to buy the L1. In the future though............ lol. As far as the headlamps go I should have been more specific and said luxeon, though I like the Duo concept and have looked at them before and I may get one yet though not for this, more for bullfrogging.

Pgk,
I've never looked at the Lupine stuff much before. Very nice gear, but probably a tad more than I need in a headlamp for now, but......never hurts to be prepared either.lol I'll keep them in mind, thanks.

I kinda figured most of the light suggestions would lean more toward the U2 or L2 and that makes a lot of sense. The KL4 head running at full blast might be a bit of overkill for what I was using it for, but it was handy that I could light up the entire trail with it. The headlamps I'm not so sure on yet. I have an EOS and although handy it is too tight beamed for most of the close in stuff. I was thinking Apex, but the Corona might be better for this. Anyway, thanks guys and please keep it coming I'm open to most any suggestions.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
WDR65 said:
...hard pressed to go wrong with the U2. By the way I want an L2 bad, its just not as practical for me at the moment as I have two reasons to buy the L1...
Just be aware the L1 overall output is about 1/3 of your current L4.

This place has good prices on Surefire lights. You can get a new L2 for $129 (less than the retail price of a L1):

http://www.opticshq.com/

WDR65

Enlightened
Joema,
I realize the difference with the L1. I have been planning to get one for a while as another edc option and a battery burner. I've been keeping an eye on the opticshq deal and it looks good.

I'll have to make up my mind on which one I want soon and I'm gonna have to be careful as this high power led stuff is getting to me.