Brown spot in Inova X1 beam?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an Inova X1 at Target while they were on sale this week. It seemed like a cute light, and I can always use another that takes AA cells. I even like the spot. It's different than most of my other lights, and I think it will be useful.

But, it's got a nasty brown splotch right in the middle of the beam. Actually, the beam overall isn't as smooth as I would have hoped, but the brown patch in the middle is the worst. Waving it around, I keep thinking I'm seeing where someone spilled the coffee on the floor.

Is this typical for the X1?

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
My X1 has a nice tight spot, period. At close distances, I can actually see the two wire leads that go to the led. I have no brown spots.
I bought one for my son also and there are no brown spots.
I would return it and get another. They are great little lights.

quokked

Enlightened
have a look at the Lens on the X1, it uses a lens to focus the light into a spot, it should reflect a even purpley/blue colour because of the Anti Reflective coating, it sounds like something has gotten inside the lens while it was being manufactured if you don't see anything wrong with the outside of the lens...
if you're a bit adventurous you could always use the freeze pop method to get into it..... basically, fill the empty X1 with water, put on tail cap, freeze, defrost, repeat till the front has popped off...
This is all if you can't return it mind u, target should let u, otherwise, cause a fuss :rant: and they'll let you exchange or store credit me thinks.

I've had a X1 for a year or so now and it's never given me any problems, I like that spot of light for navigating the dark without blinding anyone

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went back to Target today and took a look at some of the other X1 lights sitting on the rack. They had two black ones, and two titanium ones. The Inova packaging lets you test the lights in the package, so I did. All four had the dreaded brown/yellow spots in varying degrees, and that's with examining the beam through the plastic.

Maybe they've changed their source of LEDs or something, or maybe I'm just too picky. Anyway, I didn't exchange the one I already have, since I didn't expect any of the four on the shelf to be much better. It's a shame, since I otherwise like this little light.

Maybe I'll try the freezer pop and figure out how to put in a different emitter, or maybe I'll just get some etching compound and frost the lens.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've owned three of them, maybe more for a short time and none of them have the brown spot... just the freaky super tight, very blue spot.

You know, when I first saw Target was carrying the Inova lights, my immediate first thought was, "I hope Target isn't getting the ones almost good enough for their other, more traditional outlets." None of mine came from Target.

Last edited:

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
Ty, I had a similar problem with the River Rock .5 watt AAA. I just returned one that looked like eggs sunny side up with a big yellow blob in the center and kept one with a slight dark donut hole center. Coffee, eggs, and donuts! I wonder if your brown spot is caused by the phosphor covering the LED? The RR I swapped it out for has a better beam. Still just the slightest hint of yellow in the beam. The donut hole was smoothed out with clear diffused static cling.

Post about my blotchy beam patterns in the River Rock...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95938

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about using one of those cling screen protectors as a diffusion film, but the lens on this Inova does not have a flat face. It would be difficult to get it to lay down evenly. Glad Press 'N Seal would likely work much better, but I haven't any.

I tried sticking a piece of Scotch "Magic" tape across the front. It sticks to the bezel just fine, without actually touching the lens at all. It completely smooths out all the artifacts, and turns the light from a spot to a flood. Not really what I was after, since it's the spot that makes this light unique... but maybe I'll frost the darn thing anyway. :)