Strange Noises and Bright lights

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
After my wife reported some strange noises in the house today, and then my 16 year old son independantly and without hearing my wife's story, thought that he had heard what he assumed to be his younger sister upstairs, even though she was actually spending the nights at an aunts house. Since our StaffordShire terrier, Blaze, (that's a pit bull to you less politically correct folks!) was acting completely normally, I told both of them that they were just hearing the normal creaks and groans as the house succumbed to the autumns colder weather. My wife was having nothing to do with that, and a full house search was instituted at my wifes insistence.

Armed with my "bump in the night light", a USL, in one hand and a cocked and hollow point loaded .40 Ruger in the other, my son and I began a room to room sweep. With him playing tail cover to my lead, we swept all the bedrooms and closets without finding anything living but the occasional unwashed football player sock which had taken on it's own complete biological complement! Since none of the organisms seemed capable of immediate threat, though several were sent to the laundry room for remedial corrections, I declared the house "All Clear" and my wife retired for the night.

I then went downstairs to start a load of wash, (yes, even us hot wire guys have to be domestic from time to time!) As I exited the laundry room, Blaze's hackles stood on end and she began her, "who goes there?" growl/bark and stared at the back door.

Grabbing the downstairs, "Bump in the Night light", a Mag 6D Mag85, (It serves as both light and bat if needed!) I quickly swept the downstairs with the light and then inspected the back yard and neighbors back yard. I was amazed at how much less light the Mag85 could produce than the USL did.

Once again, no threats were detected, so if someone/something was there, it didn't like the sound of Blaze or the production of light from the Mag.

So what was learned?

1) It's exhilarating (and a little scary) to be worried about a bad guy popping up, even when you are 99% sure nothing is there.
1A) My son and I make a pretty good sweep team, he seems to know instinctually to stay out of the line of fire.
2) USL's are brighter than Mag85's. (OK, I already knew this, but it was fun to be reminded!)
3) There are good reasons to have large dogs in your home.
4) Having a Ruger .40 is more comforting and cheaper than having a large dog.
5) Large dogs warning systems can be fooled.
6) I still like BRIGHT flashlights!

Bill

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to do a similar sweep today, strange noises in the backyard, which sually means a few gangbangers looking for quick cash for their dope habits. I had my 3D loaded with a 12-pack of 1650s and a 64623(the USL wannabe), and in my right hand a Springfield in .45. It felt safer than the light and a large knife....

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
1A) My son and I make a pretty good sweep team, he seems to know instinctually to stay out of the line of fire.
Of course he does...who wants to be shot by .40 OR a USL!

moeman

Enlightened
Codeman said:
Of course he does...who wants to be shot by .40 OR a USL!
YEAH no Sh!t!!!
i mean, being hit with my puny LED lights is uncomfortable!
i can't imagine getting friendly fire from the USL....
:shrug:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about ghosts and vampires, but it does have the same effect on geese and ducks!

There is a lake about 600 feet out and 30 feet down from my back yard, I have a direct view of it.

One night about midnight, my Dad and I were talking and he asked to see the USL perform on a dark night. I said, "How about right now?"

We walked out in the back yard and I turned the light on, pointing it down on the lake, immediately, the duck and goose population went nuts, quacking and honking away like they were getting ready for takeoff. We both laughed and I said, "sounds like a raccoon or coyote must be after some eggs!" My dad said, "No they think it's morning!"

We went back in the house, with him teasing me about my "duck getter upper". I insisted that it must have been something like a coyote or 'coon disturbing them and him insisting it was the light.

After about 5 minutes, he said, "OK wise guy, lets go wake 'em up again!"

We walked out and repeated the exercise, and sure enough, pandemonium again!! We both were laughing so hard by now that we barely could get back inside, and my Mom and Wife looked at us like the idiots we both were!!

My Mom, of course, made the comment that, "boys will be boys" even when they are 43 and 69!

So ghosts and vampires, I don't know, but ducks and geese, no problems!!

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
:faint: So far, we have the official;

Ultimate Stealth Light

newest: Ultimate Scare Light

Ultimate StirFry Light.

Ultimate Smoking Light

Ultimate Show Light

Ultimate Stupidtrick Light.

Ultimate Scorch-your-eyeballs Light

Ultimate Sugar-carmelizer Light.

Ultimate Steak Light.

Ultimate S'More's Light.

Ultimate "Sorry" Light…

Ultimate Steal of a Light.

Most courtesy of Litho123!!!

10/25/2005

Ultimate Shrink Light

Thanks to KevinL

Did I miss any, I'm pretty sure I did?

Bill

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Since our StaffordShire terrier, Blaze, (that's a pit bull to you less politically correct folks!) was acting completely normally
. . .
As I exited the laundry room, Blaze's hackles stood on end and she began her, "who goes there?" growl/bark and stared at the back door.
. . .
Once again, no threats were detected, so if someone/something was there, it didn't like the sound of Blaze or the production of light from the Mag.
. . .

So what was learned?
. . .
3) There are good reasons to have large dogs in your home. . . .

Hi Bill,

Just a guess, but I doubt much gets by your dog (unless she is hard of hearing or something). When I first got my German shepherd -- he was two years old -- he would alert from the bedroom when the cat would try to creep up the carpeted stairs to the second floor where we sleep. Now that he knows the cat it can just about walk over him and he doesn't care. It is the same with "Ratzilla" in the attic. Thump-thump-thump. Nothing from the canid alarm. I wonder what the heck the noise was, and the dog is like, "What? The rats are home. Chill, dad."

A dog, a gun, and a flashlight is a pretty stout combination. I don't think I'd want any of those (meaning USL flashlight) directed at me with intent :)

Scott

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm adding your post to the index thread, Bill! That's priceless.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree about the dog.

Though Blaze, like most of her kind, (Pit Bulls are WAY over rated as guard dogs. They actually like people way to much to attack without having been abused previously, with the possible exception of a ***** with pups, just like a mother bear!) would probably invite you in, offer you a sandwich and then give you a guided tour of the property once she realized you were human, until she is sure of that, she is ALERT!

And if another dog or animal is involved, take alert to the Nth degree!

Bill

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
Hey Bill...if, the next time you do one of your sweeps with your USL and the .40 and do encounter a potential BG, tell him the USL stands for "U're Sh*t out of Luck"!! :)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unlike his father, he is quick, lean, and mean. 6'1", 180 pound football player that has started at 3 different spots this year.

He felt no need for anything, figuring all that would we needed was another body to haul away any BG's.

Bill

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
That was a nicely written story! Quite enjoyable -- especially the laundry part

--Tony

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story!
They recently banned pit bulls where I live, one too many kids got ripped in half. Those who chose to keep them have to apply for a special permit, and carry proof of a very expensive insurance with that permit. Giving up a good dog would be so hard to do..