Fenix's Coating?

Torchaholic

Newly Enlightened
Could any Fenix owners out there tell me how the coating is holding up for being pocket/key-chain carried? :thinking: How does it compare to the Arc-aaa (I have been key-chain carried one for over 2 yrs and it's still looking grrrrrrrreat!)

TIA

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've had my L1P v2.5 for about four days now I think. It has a couple of very, very minor spots in the finish from being handled and carried but here's the kicker - it's never even touched anything else metal! Been carried in my little pocketwatch pocket every single minute, never dropped, never layed on anything other than wood or vinyl. I'd call the finish 98% as good as brand new after only four days.

My ARC AAA on the other hand has been carried on a keychain, in a pocket with five to six keys, two smallish knives and whatever change I had with me and I'd call it's finish about 92% as good as brand new after a year of such abuse and I was the third owner.

My guess is this: the HAIII is a hell of a lot better than many $40 lights out there, but it won't hold up as well as an HAIII ARC AAA. See also a thread concerning questionable HAIII coating on a Peak light.

Keep in mind, this wouldn't stop me even one second from carrying the Fenix or recommending them to anyone but the absolute most critical folks.

xiaoyao

Newly Enlightened
This coating is better than all type II anodized lights, but not as good as ARC's natural gray HA.

Torchaholic

Newly Enlightened
Looks like this is another 'pouch' carried light! I'm still reluctant to carry my Jil DD/1.3 with keys/coins, any opinions on these babies? :huh2:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is scuffed up after being clipped in my pocket next to a Nuwai .5w 2AAA light for three or four weeks now. The nuwai is suffering much worse finish removal. I haven't carried down in a pocket with keys and coins etc. No experience with Arcs.